2Likes
  • 1 Post By 91spiderNV
  • 1 Post By 91spiderNV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Spica Fuel Cutoff Solenoid Adjustment

1971 1750 Spider

Gone through several write-ups on adjusting the FCS and am a little confused. I guess it's par for the course...

I've gone through all the steps successfully until I get to the FCS adjustment.

#1 is the locknut that is 34mm (as close as I can measure). I have several tools specifically for this but nothing for this large a nut. But that's not my concern, I loosened it with some channel lock pliers easily.

After setting the engine speed to 2500 rpm's I turn the solenoid clockwise to find the max lean point the engine starts increasing in rpm's. I did 1 complete clockwise revolution and in continued increasing the rpm's. I never could tell it was missing. At this point I quit and returned the solenoid to the original starting position. Turning the solenoid ccw to riches just decreases the engine speed, I didn't go rich more than 1/4 turn from the original setting.

Is it possible to actually unscrew the FCS and take off? When I loosened the lock nut, the solenoid felt a little wobbly if I'm describing it correctly. When I turn it clockwise it starts feeling more solid. I'm curious if it's so out of adjustment that if I had kept rotating cw it would have eventually gone back the other way, reducing rpm's.

This is the first time I've tried to adjust this on this car and it's been a long time since I've dealt with the Spica system.

I know the car has been running rich, the gas mileage isn't great and the exhaust pipe is black and sooty but overall it runs pretty decent.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tad
Alabama

'59 Sprint
'59 Spider Veloce
'61 Giulietta Spider- Street
'61 Giulietta Spider- Race
'67 Duetto
'67 Giulia Super
'71 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Here's a side view of the FCS
Attached Images

Tad
Alabama

'59 Sprint
'59 Spider Veloce
'67 Duetto
'67 Giulia Super
'71 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Q
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

After doing some more reading I unscrewed the solenoid and it came out in almost exactly 9.5 revolutions so I think the FCS is about right

Tad
Alabama

'59 Sprint
'59 Spider Veloce
'67 Duetto
'67 Giulia Super
'71 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I recommend finding a dyno shop to use while setting the mixture.

Using the "at 2500 RPM" method, you should have someone adjusting the throttle to hold it at 2500, not set the throttle and have in increase or decrease as you adjust the FCS. It is an imprecise method.

On a dyno you can adjust the mixture to 0.1 within a few minutes.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Platinum Subscriber

9.5 is a nominal starting setting. It well may be the correct one for your engine. Run it like this for a while and check plug color. If too rich, screw it in a half turn and check again after a while . . . and vice versa.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks John, I had already increased it about 1/2 turn lean before I buttoned everything up to see if that made a difference. I'll keep an eye on things and see if this helps. Biggest problem is this isn't the best time of year (90+ degrees) to put miles on my car so it'll be a while

I'm just kinda curious what I was missing when following these write-ups. I was on a roll re the rest of my adjustments and this kinda stumped me.

John- I've also read some threads that you have an idle stop setting tool that you've been letting people borrow. Is this available?

Tad
Alabama

'59 Sprint
'59 Spider Veloce
'67 Duetto
'67 Giulia Super
'71 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Q
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadslc View Post
John- I've also read some threads that you have an idle stop setting tool that you've been letting people borrow. Is this available?
Yes. PM me a mailing address and I'll send it out on Wednesday when I get back home.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 PM

Hi there everyone. I'm in the process of my first SPICA tune-up myself and have run into this exact issue of turning the FCS clockwise to lean the mixture but as per the original post here the engine speed seems to increase and I can't tell if there are any misses going on. I'm wondering what the ultimate solution was here? Are we just not listening to the engine correctly? Should I perhaps remove the FCS all together and then give it the standard 9.5 turns in and go from there adjusting every few drives?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdd6 View Post
Hi there everyone. I'm in the process of my first SPICA tune-up myself and have run into this exact issue of turning the FCS clockwise to lean the mixture but as per the original post here the engine speed seems to increase and I can't tell if there are any misses going on. I'm wondering what the ultimate solution was here? Are we just not listening to the engine correctly? Should I perhaps remove the FCS all together and then give it the standard 9.5 turns in and go from there adjusting every few drives?
Keep going clockwise slowly. When the engine begins to "sour", not miss, note the position of the FCS. Slowly again, turn the FCS counter clockwise. The engine should begin to speed up and smooth. Keep going that direction until the engine "sours" again. Note that position. Turn the FCSto the point halfway between the 2 earlier noted positions. Should be pretty darn close.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:59 AM

I installed an Air Fuel Ratio Gauge and set it using 2500 rpm. Just need to get a muffler shop to weld a bung and attach the sensor. $120 from Summit Racing, or some other parts store. This way you have some real numbers to guide you. You can run it either at 14.7 (search AlfaBB for AFR guidance) but it likes to run better a little richer. Just my experience with the SPICA I have.

I also found, via my AFR gauge, just by going CW and CCW when the engine stumbles, set it in the middle and it gets really close.
slowcreek likes this.

'76 Alfetta GT, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth, '78 sports sedan (2 of them) - sold, '91 164L - sold, '83 GTV6 -sold, '87 Milano Verde - sold, '91 spider -sold, '69 MGB GT,
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Sorry I posted wrong. My AFR at 2500, at best running is about 13.8. Better to be a little rich than lean.
slowcreek likes this.

'76 Alfetta GT, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth, '78 sports sedan (2 of them) - sold, '91 164L - sold, '83 GTV6 -sold, '87 Milano Verde - sold, '91 spider -sold, '69 MGB GT,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode