S3 throttle linkage adjustment procedure - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to LBinNM Send a message via Yahoo to LBinNM
S3 throttle linkage adjustment procedure

I've have replaced the firewall and throttle linkage bushings and the throttle rods end connectors on my 84 Spider and now I want to adjust the linkage correctly.
I've found some rather loose guidelines as to how to do this and some contradict each other.
So, I am looking for a post/link that's out there that details this exact procedure.
I know there has to be someone on this forum who has this procedure and is willing to share it.....
Thanks,
Les

*** I guess my main question is, when the throttle rod linkage is disconnected and the spring holds the pedal all the way up, is this the correct starting point to adjust the long linkage rod and ensure the peddle stays at that height?

84 Spider
Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second. Bobby Unser

Last edited by LBinNM; 04-02-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Okay, fine, dude. Just say, "Tom, even though you spent all that time writing out that procedure in the other thread, I'm not going to follow it because I have basic trust issues stemming from an abusive childhood."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBinNM View Post
I guess my main question is, when the throttle rod linkage is disconnected and the spring holds the pedal all the way up, is this the correct starting point to adjust the long linkage rod and ensure the peddle stays at that height?
No, that is not the correct starting point. If you do it that way, the bushing on the right side of the crank arm across the firewall will be resting on the firewall: that is not correct. The resting pedal point should be slightly lower than that and the end of the crank arm should be held off of the firewall by the long rod.

Is there some reason you are trying to get a higher pedal?

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'm not looking to get the pedal higher, I was just looking for a proper starting point to make the adjustment. In fact i want it lower, but one thread said not to shorten the linkage too much as it puts too much strain on the ball connectors. So I'm trying to find a proper starting point and a happy medium on all the adjustable points.
Makes sense that the pedal is not to stay at its highest point so as you mentioned the crank arm does not rest on the fire wall.
I'll search again for 'Tom's procedure' and go from there.
Thanks...

84 Spider
Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second. Bobby Unser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

It was a response to your post in the other thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...erneath-3.html

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks, I read another reply to a different thread that said to screw the peddle stop almost to the floor and start my adjustment from there, so it certainly is a different procedure, but incorrect, so I followed yours and it seems to be working fine.
Les

84 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode