Rusty GTV floorboards - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 554 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Rusty GTV floorboards

I know I know. We've all seen rusty floorboards before. I guess that comes with living in a wet climate, but as a do it yourselfer, I'm trying to show one man's attempts to fix the problem (hopefully once and for all).
(1)Here's what it looked like when I lifted the carpet:
(2) The pan shows a bit of rust where it meets the sill. But what's that white stuff?
(3) A closer shot of that "white stuff".

Someone had stuffed some paper in the hole and some bondo over top.
(4) Notice how the rust just keeps on creeping along doing it's thing eating my car. This is the front left jacking point.
(5) More rust on the floorpan spot welded to the strut underneath.I'm going to have to strip all the black "rust" paint off and see what lies under it...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 554 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM

You have the dreaded PO {previous owner} virus. Symptoms are bodged repairs with dubious parts, over application of the healing salve called bondo, improper subsurface preparation and the use of newspaper ,cardboard and roofing tar as remedial anti corrosion and structural support members. Its not always fatal, but the cure can be expensive and take some time.
post #3 of 554 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yeah Nero, the time aspect of these repairs is the thing that bugs my wife. She keeps saying, "Why don't you just sell that car?"
She just doesn't get it.
Here's a shot of the three metal patches I cut and ground to fit the rusty areas I had to replace.
Name:  Alfa 111.jpg
Views: 8674
Size:  60.3 KB
Here's another angle. It was fun to cut and grind these pieces.
Name:  Alfa 113.jpg
Views: 9869
Size:  64.1 KB
Here's the floor behind the passenger seat. Whoever did the previous repair missed a spot.
Name:  Alfa 116.jpg
Views: 8549
Size:  61.4 KB
Here's a closeup of my fourth and final patch. It's held in place with masking tape from beneath the car just to get a photo.
Name:  Alfa 119.jpg
Views: 8012
Size:  65.8 KB
The floor has been stripped of paint around the problem areas and has been metal etched in preparation of the POR 15 paint. The green masking tape is to protect the areas I don't want to be painted just yet because a friend of mine who is an experienced welder is going to come over to my place to teach me how to weld with a wire feed welding machine. He may not be here for a while so I'll apply one coat of paint to the whole floor pan except around the areas that need welding. Hope he comes by soon.
Maybe I'll pay him in "beers per hour". After the work is done of course.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 554 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Looks like you are making good progress, keep the updates coming.Try telling the wife its still cheaper and less time consuming than a real mistress.
CathalICCI likes this.
post #5 of 554 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Nice job so far. I am about to possibly discover the same when removing all inside carpeting in my new little 73 GTV project Same issue with wife - believe me. When my Dad came over to see the car (my Dad is an Alfisti as well) she dared tell my Dad "you want this piece of junk?" They don't get it - no they don't

Brian (alias BlueSpider) w/o an Alfa at the moment, sadly.
Formerly: 1988 Spider Veloce - SOLD, 1973 GTV (restoration project) - SOLD
post #6 of 554 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I think I'm getting myself put in the doghouse because of this car. Wifey last night said "We have to talk." Oh Oh... that usually means SHE wants to talk. At me... To make a tense situation a bit better I have agreed to go with her on a tour of people's gardens that they have made at their homes in my area. There's fifteen of them I think and they have musicians and artists present while one walks around and "smells the roses". Oh well, it'll buy me some time later...I hope.
Okay, back to what REALLY matters in Life heh heh heh.
When I pulled out the rear window because of some rust issues on the lip, I also pulled up the rear speaker deck and lo and behold, more surface rust mostly, although there were a couple of perforations at the front right side.
Name:  Alfa 121.jpg
Views: 7885
Size:  55.3 KB

Here's a shot of the floors all cleaned up as best as I could and etched with metal prep. It took many hours to get to this point using hand tools.
Name:  Alfa 127.jpg
Views: 8122
Size:  66.6 KB

That POR 15 goes on nicely! It's a lot thinner than most paints but it's a really tough coating. $35 CDN for a pint so it's not cheap! I used a 2 inch sponge brush and had the doors of the garage open for some fresh air.
Name:  Alfa 130.jpg
Views: 7580
Size:  66.8 KB

Ahhhh... the first coat is on. Looking good. I used their black semi gloss.
Name:  Alfa 131.jpg
Views: 8636
Size:  59.9 KB

I painted the rear deck as well as the floorpans and also all around the interior window and door frames. And there's still half a pint of paint left for the second coat! POR recommends a minimum of two coats. Now I've got to learn how to weld...

Name:  Alfa 136.jpg
Views: 7523
Size:  43.1 KB
post #7 of 554 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Don't forget to topcoat the POR-15. That's one reason I prefer the Eastwood equivalent. It's looking nice!

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #8 of 554 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Jason I'm wondering about why the POR 15 should be topcoated. I went to their website POR-15 Inc. and it says that if the painted area is going to be exposed to sunlight, then by all means, there should be a topcoat because the UV rays will break down the paint. But underneath the carpet and the rear deck will be hidden from the sun and should be okay. I'm also going to use it on my inner rocker panels when I get to that point. Cheers!
post #9 of 554 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Yes according to POR 15 literature there is no need to topcoat areas not exposed to UV.
I`ve used it on 3 of my cars - on the interior floors and if prep is right it is tough. (also used chassis black on suspension). I have used within wheel arches as well followed by their white top coat (white car) and excellent durability where subject to stones and other abrasive road debri. It is an excellent product.

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6
post #10 of 554 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 04:26 AM

Your floor doesn't seem to have what mine has on it - a think tar-like matting on the floor and under the back seat. It's a bugger to get off - I'm using a hammer and a chisel to chip away at it. Nearly all done. If anyone else has tried removing the same stuff could you recommend any solvents that clean it off - I'd like to do the same POR15 treatment.

Cheers.

1974 GTV 2000, 1986 75 1.8, 1989 75 2.0 TS
post #11 of 554 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 04:47 AM

Manx, save some time and get some dry ice pellets and dump them on the tar bits and leave for 10-15 minutes then use your chisel or scraper to chip it off. I removed the tar from my whole floorpans and under the rear seat in half an hour. Clean to the factory primer with no gunky mess. Really easy! Also reduce your chance of inhaling any dust by wearing a mask as the tar contains asbestos.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #12 of 554 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yeah Manx, you're in for a real battle without some help from above. My car was destined for the Canadian market and apparently Alfa chose to just lay some sound deadening material on the floors with some spray glue to attach them. That glue is impervious to everything I tried except abrasion.
In the end i took off as much rusty bubbled paint as I could and called it good. The main point of this whole exercise is to keep oxygen off metal and rust, and if we can slow it down for our liftime at least then we've won a small victory.
post #13 of 554 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Three of the four holes I had to cut out of the floorpans were over body struts. They had been spot welded to attach the pan to the frame so I drilled out several holes on each piece so they could be reattached to the frame. My little buddy is supervising the work.

Name:  DSCF0665.jpg
Views: 7191
Size:  35.0 KB

Then I countersunk each hole to give more metal surface to weld on.

Name:  DSCF0667.jpg
Views: 7285
Size:  93.5 KB

Here's a shot of the three pieces all ready to go. Now I've got to rent a mig welder and hope my friend can come over soon...

Name:  DSCF0669.jpg
Views: 7149
Size:  52.3 KB
post #14 of 554 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 09:21 AM
You might want to looking buying a cheapo harbor freight mig welder. They go on sale occasionally. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
You might find that by the time you rent the thing and drag it back and forth it's close to a wash.

They are low power which actually works to your advantage since these are small gauge panels. I have big MIG and my biggest problem is trying to dial it back so I don't blow holes in it.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 554 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Well, I went and did it! I went out and bought a low powered mig welder and adjustable auto darkening welder's helmet. I couldn't think of a reason not to. To rent a welder with wire was $ per day and then of course I had to rent a helmet as well.
Wifey just doesn't get it though. She thinks the money would have been better spent on artwork for the house. I keep telling her that this car is artwork as well. Four wheel Italian art. Or it will be one day if she lays off. She wrinkled up her nose and went back into the house. I can see storm clouds on the horizon. I'm going to start calling her Wifezilla. but not to her face of course

Name:  DSCF0726.jpg
Views: 7017
Size:  67.0 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode