Bleu chiaro metall restoration - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joppa
  • 1 Post By ITALCAROZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Bleu chiaro metall restoration

Well I guess this is step one. Seeing what I'm up for and where to start. After a weekend of cleaning and vacuuming, overall it appears to be a very good base to start with, and it helps being able to ask my uncle questions about it since his owned since '72. It has 72000 miles on the clock (has imperial gauges in metric Australia??), has a variable wiper control knob (installed by my uncle) instead of the cigarette lighter (I'll put the cigarette lighter back in for sure), a remote button (inside the glove box) to open the boot lid. Being a RHD makes it a pain otherwise.

I installed a battery, and the door courtesy lights worked, and that's it's. Everything else was is dead haha. Slowly you can get things working, so it just needs some loving and all should be fine.

You can see the crack in the dash in one of the photos. Shame but still not too bad. Vinyl seems a bit brittle, and inner foam is perhaps a bit sagged, but the body is quite good.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

One more pic
Attached Images

rowan_jackson likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 AM

Garage
if it were my car i'd focus on getting it running and put it on club rego. then you can enjoy it for a while plus get your head around what needs to be done.

just my 2c worth.

cheers Ian
giulia_veloce likes this.

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:00 AM

Lovely original car in a rare colour! Let me know if you are chasing anything and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Bleu chiaro metall restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALCAROZ View Post
if it were my car i'd focus on getting it running and put it on club rego. then you can enjoy it for a while plus get your head around what needs to be done.

just my 2c worth.

cheers Ian
That was my initial intension, but it's just that the paint really needs attention. See photos below. Bottom parts aren't so bad, but everything on top has started rusting underneath. Brakes are all seized, as is the clutch. No electrics except the door light, so will did a little deeper and see how far I need to go.
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
Lovely original car in a rare colour! Let me know if you are chasing anything and I might be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks mate appreciate it, I can already see I'll need a list of things that I'm sure won't be that easy to obtain? The colour has really grown on me, especially when I can see the paint in decent condition, it really does looks quite vibrant. Have already obtained the paint code for it so I'm set now
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Hi mate,

I will leave the paint like that for the moment. I think just the outer rocker is rusty, the rest is "rat" car.
I don't think the structure is gone. You can easily check with a visual control of the reinforcements under the floors. Check also the inner rockers, but the vertical side under the floors. Look at the jack points and front floors.

Look at the reserve wheel area and the link part under the water radiator.

It depends of your budget of course, but if you want to do the paint, you will make an overhaul restoration with BIG job, time and money. Around 30000 US$ for parts is the basis amount for a nice and complete restoration on this model. So, keep your money for the other work you have to do to drive the car. Now, if you have the budget (+ workforce), go in !

Take a lot of pictures, ask a lot of questions, you will have help from BB members.

Me and others can help you for all info details and tricks for the work.

30 years in the alfa engine... my 2 cents.
Good luck for your nice project !!

Chris, in love with Alfa from...'68, but it wasn't always reciprocal !
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

I had a good pock around, especially underneath, sills, spare wheel area and under the radiator support. The section where the wiper arms mechanism go seems OK, if rust is present it’ll be minor I dare say (unless it’s just the tip of an iceberg). Sills have rust (looks far worst in the photo’s due to the Fertan) , but outer only, in 3 places, it all appears to be fairly rust free otherwise, and quite straight.

Rotisserie or not to rotisserie? Only if I really really have to and will try to avoid at all cost. I’ve made quite high and sturdy stands to support the chassis for other cars, so that will be my preference as long as I don’t need to do much welding underneath. A rotisserie would be absolutely awesome I could imagine, but I would have to make a frame, for a very low truss type garage, and the restoration would become endless. I reckon most of you know that 

I need to get the carpet out to check the floors. Wow!! I’ve never worked on a car that has screws securing the carpet. And so many pieces too. It’s a different car that’s for sure. I’m use to Japanese and Australian cars, although have owned 4 FIATs also which were refurbished at different stages. Though compared to the Alfa these were quite conventional designs.

However, I do want the freshened up look as I can’t leave it as it is, even though it’s so original and rat rod-ish . I have some savings which should cover the majority of the costs involved, and am able to do most of the work myself (well as much as possible anyway). I’ll re-use what I can without going for the concourse look, but I do indent to keep this quite standard. Anything rubber has to go it seems. I’ve seen some fantastic restorations on this forum, one has been going for a decade (mind you it’s just incredible) and I know how easily time gets away. I had a FIAT 124CC for 20yrs, tried the full resto thing but the money/time just wasn’t there. I didn’t go so far with the other cars and they were on the road in 6 months, car after car whilst the 124 just sat there, occasionally soaking the much needed funds.
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

More pics
Attached Images

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

I also thought to try the engine out and see if I could get it fired up. I actually wasn’t going to bother, it’ll be rebuilt regardless, but with a little liquid courage and tinkering time with the mates, out came the jerry can for the mower, some fuel hose and a spare battery ��. The oil was very clean, radiator was still full of water (very little ethylene glycol remained however), removed the plugs and added some oil to the plug holes, and eventually got the starter working to spin the engine around for a bit.

After a few cranks it did start to catch. It was sputtering and would barely run for more than a few seconds. The garage filled with smoke, blew a few holes in the header pipe, and pissed fuel everywhere. Yeah well we eventually had a fire (blankets and fire extinguisher on hand), we lost some eyebrows, smothered the fire (no damage or anything) but was super happy it at least started. I was in my element, has been over 20yrs since playing with cars and this was just awesome. Lights in the dash started coming on (didn’t for the first few hours) and wipers even worked after using the switches for a bit.

Brakes are locked solid, as is the clutch. Reservoirs are full of brake fluid so sounds like some challenging times ahead, and looking forward to it.

PS Under the water washer bag seems a little rusty, but feels solid. You can see my uncle tried to stop something with the black paint. Still want to have a closer look there.
Attached Images

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:02 AM

Garage
hi Joppa,

you have found an absolute gem there. it looks incredibly straight and not too much rust. it will come up a treat with new paint. just a warning, the brakes with the 2 boosters are a pain. really looking forward to seeing more of this.

cheers Ian

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALCAROZ View Post
hi Joppa,

you have found an absolute gem there. it looks incredibly straight and not too much rust. it will come up a treat with new paint. just a warning, the brakes with the 2 boosters are a pain. really looking forward to seeing more of this.

cheers Ian
Thanks mate, the more I dig the more I realize how lucky I am with this thing, so far so good. Funny you mentioned the boosters. My uncle always had problems with the brakes since almost new. When he sore I was rebuilding these he said I'm crazy. He's not as nostalgic as I am with this (seeing it at a different perspective I guess), and said I should be changing these to something else because I'm simply going to regret it. Not very comforting since he did over 70000 miles in it. So now I'm a little worried as I've already bought a lot of parts for it. I was really wanting to keep this original but now I'm thinking of the Alfaholics kit with no boosters, or something like that?. Or just persist perhaps and see what I'm in for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode