Installing chrome trim - cockpit - S2 Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
Installing chrome trim - cockpit - S2 Spider

Some advice, please. My freshly painted S2 Spider is due home this weekend, and I get to start the happy task of replacing all the freshly cleaned and polished components.
The area that has me puzzled is the chrome trim in the cockpit area - specifically, the chrome band around the rear of the cockpit, and the trims around the windscreen.

The cockpit piece - there was substantial corrosion found beneath this trim when it was removed - should it have some form of sealant to prevent water from getting under the trim ? if so, what sealant is recommended ?

The windscreen - when I removed the top trim and 2 side trims, they had what I believe to be hardened plumber's putty beneath them. Surely that's not what Alfa intended ! Again, should there be sealant beneath these pieces, and if so, what is recommended ?

My inclination is to go with black RTV sealant, but am open to any other suggestions !

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:09 AM

I used 3M ribbon sealer, similar to this. I can't say whether or not it is "correct". RTV type sealers may work fine but future trim removal could be difficult.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 AM

I've used the 3M Strip-Calk for jobs like this. It never dries out, keeps the moisture out and is easy to use. https://www.amazon.com/3M-08578-Blac.../dp/B000PEZ1L4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Ah, good ol' Strip-Calk. I remember this stuff. If it never hardens/dries out, and keeps water from getting in, I think I might be on to a winner. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Found some Eastwood Flexible Strip Caulk at Frosts Restoration here in UK, in case anyone else is seeking this stuff. Not cheap, but I now have enough to seal an entire car....

Chris
1977 Spider 2000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode