Polishing and re-chroming? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Polishing and re-chroming?

I'm looking for a rechroming shop to re-plate the door thresholds, which are NLA.

I'm also looking for a shop that will polish bumpers.

Any recommendations? I'm in Western PA, but any US company would be fine.

Thanks!

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto, '69 Spider
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 11 BMWs, Ram 1500
Other-past: 16 BMWs, MGs, Triumphs, other stuff that doesn't count.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:55 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
I'm looking for a rechroming shop to re-plate the door thresholds, which are NLA.
Aren't those stainless steel?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

The sill plates are stainless. Just need to be polished. The door handles inside and outside are chromed. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
I'm in Western PA, but any US company would be fine.
Here in Orange County, California, we use a polishing company called Speedway Polishing, located at 979 Ritchey St, Santa Ana, CA 92705. They have done the SS bumpers on my Duetto as well as straighten and polish 105 hubcaps. Speedway do not do chrome plating.

There are lots of chrome plating shops around the country who will accept/return work by UPS or US Mail.

Having said all that, there is some advantage to dealing with shops face-to-face, since irreplaceable bits sometimes get lost in the plating process. Somehow, I find it comforting to look the owner in the eye when delivering the parts and say "OK, here are 37 parts - we agree that the next time I come in, you are going to return the same 37 parts back to me, right?" There's still a chance there will only be 34, plus some random Harley Davidson bits, but at least the guy might feel some shame.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 05-04-2019 at 07:52 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:52 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
I took pictures of everything I took to the chrome shop, plating shop and the powder coaters. All appreciated having the pictures as a reference. Nothing of mine was lost.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Aren't those stainless steel?
Well... Mine have a little rust on them. Makes sense that they are stainless, though. I want to try to get them straightened and polished at least.

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto, '69 Spider
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 11 BMWs, Ram 1500
Other-past: 16 BMWs, MGs, Triumphs, other stuff that doesn't count.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:49 PM

I polished the bumpers on my 1973 Berlina. It isn't hard, just a little time consuming. They turned out really nice.

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
... there is some advantage to dealing with shops face-to-face, since irreplaceable bits sometimes get lost in the plating process. Somehow, I find it comforting to look the owner in the eye when delivering the parts and say "OK, here are 37 parts - we agree that the next time I come in, you are going to return the same 37 parts back to me, right?" There's still a chance there will only be 34, plus some random Harley Davidson bits, but at least the guy might feel some shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I took pictures of everything I took to the chrome shop, plating shop and the powder coaters. All appreciated having the pictures as a reference. Nothing of mine was lost.
I also took pictures of my stuff that I sent out to re-chrome.

Got most of it back a few pieces at a time over the course of several months. The parts stopped coming back before I got the three bezels for the small Duetto gauges. They were lost at the plater.
The company that did the work didn't feel responsible at all. I think I got a shrug out of him. Still cost an absolutely incredible amount of money for the rechroming that was done. At least they did a good job on the parts I got back.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:47 PM

Chrome plating is the new highway robbery Cost of chrome plating has probably doubled, maybe even tripled in the last 10 years but it does look good when done There is different levels of chrome plating, there is std chrome plating and then there is show style chrome plating big difference in cost
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocewhippet View Post
I also took pictures of my stuff that I sent out to re-chrome.

Got most of it back a few pieces at a time over the course of several months. The parts stopped coming back before I got the three bezels for the small Duetto gauges. They were lost at the plater.
The company that did the work didn't feel responsible at all. I think I got a shrug out of him. Still cost an absolutely incredible amount of money for the rechroming that was done. At least they did a good job on the parts I got back.
I'm sorry to hear that some of your things were lost. I used a guy in Gainesville, Texas. I was living in the Dallas area at the time, I think about 1994 or 1995. He owns a restoration shop that specializes in restoring Porsches, Mercedes, Ferrari, that I can remember. When I spoke to him, I said he bought a plating business because he couldn't get the quality that he needed from other plating shops. You pay for the labor and it all depends on how much time it takes one of his employees to do the restoration.

Bob Smith Coachworks

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 AM

Most plating shops can polish too. I had a shop do my Spider eyebrows. They warped it and wouldn't make good.

High cost of chroming is the high cost of chemical disposal afterwards.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:03 PM

The high cost of chrome plating is due to environmental regulations and many plating shops will not plate automotive parts. I use a chrome plating shop in Escondido, CA and they plate parts for Pebble Beach cars. The cost is lower than other shops and they have a life time guarantee. They repair zinc parts, polish stainless steel and also repair damaged parts. I had them plate every chrome part for two 750 Spiders, two Sprint Veloces (my car plus another SV), 101 SS, 2600 Spider and other parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode