Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Car Restoration (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/)
-   -   73 Spider Veloce resto - and so it begins! (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/678342-73-spider-veloce-resto-so-begins.html)

Gds102 04-15-2019 12:39 PM

73 Spider Veloce resto - and so it begins!
 
4 Attachment(s)
Always had a thing for Alfa Spiders ever since a friend pulled up in his Uncle's brand new '82. Bought my first one in 1990 - an 88 Graduate that I still have. The more I learned about them, the more I wanted a series 2. Finally, end January I found one at a good price but needing TLC. So, here it is and so it begins! A few shots of how she (Nonna) came. Note the S3 nose (pointed out by another member which I didn't catch) and the later S2 bumpers...

Gds102 04-15-2019 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Engine bay and trunk...

Gds102 04-15-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gds102 (Post 8400764)
Always had a thing for Alfa Spiders ever since a friend pulled up in his Uncle's brand new '82. Bought my first one in 1990 - an 88 Graduate that I still have. The more I learned about them, the more I wanted a series 2. Finally, end January I found one at a good price but needing TLC. So, here it is and so it begins! A few shots of how she (Nonna) came. Note the S3 nose (pointed out by another member which I didn't catch) and the later S2 bumpers...

Oops! Bought first one in 2000, yeah, it's Monday!

Gds102 04-15-2019 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A lot of previous "work" done on this. Blue dash, door panels etc that would have been black originally along with carpeting instead of original rubber matting...

Gds102 04-15-2019 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled up the rear shelf carpeting to see what nuggets were hiding under there...OSB!

Gds102 04-15-2019 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a total disaster, just fabricated the shelf, seems ok underneath...

Gds102 04-15-2019 01:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More carpet out, aaaand new floor pans it is!

Gds102 04-15-2019 01:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some new bits awaiting their day.

Gds102 04-15-2019 01:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Off came the big bumpers to see what I was dealing with/how easy (or not) this was going to be. No lucky break this time!

vintagemilano 04-15-2019 03:35 PM

That looks like the car that was for sale in Calgary for a while. I'm sure it will be wonderful when you are done with it.

Cheers,

Gds102 04-15-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagemilano (Post 8400858)
That looks like the car that was for sale in Calgary for a while. I'm sure it will be wonderful when you are done with it.

Cheers,

I am in Calgary so probably the same one as they don't come up often. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Graham

Jim G 04-15-2019 03:46 PM

As you probably know the 73/74 are suppose to to have the Stainless bumpers with the bumperettes. Which do stick out a little further then the 71/72 bumpers.

I don't think the 73/74 bumpers look bad. I actually think they have a little more charcter then the 71/72 bumpers. Alfa did a better job with the federal mandate on bumpers then all the other imports combined.

But I'm probably biased as my first Alfa was a 73 Spider.

Gds102 04-16-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim G (Post 8400864)
As you probably know the 73/74 are suppose to to have the Stainless bumpers with the bumperettes. Which do stick out a little further then the 71/72 bumpers.

I don't think the 73/74 bumpers look bad. I actually think they have a little more charcter then the 71/72 bumpers. Alfa did a better job with the federal mandate on bumpers then all the other imports combined.

But I'm probably biased as my first Alfa was a 73 Spider.

Hi Jim, yes, I understand the US spec versions had the bumperettes however haven't seen them on any of the replacement bumpers. That being said, it will end up being more of a Euro spec by the time I'm finished (rear side markers gone, front to round ones, license lights on bumper etc) so these bumpers will fit the look.

Alfajay 04-16-2019 09:20 AM

The title of this thread is "73 Spider Veloce", but the car pictured is clearly a later model. I presume you know that. Backdating a big-bumper car to early 70's specs is a fine endeavor - you have my support. But if Calgary has safety or emissions inspections, your local officials may not offer the same encouragement.

So make sure you are building a car that can pass local inspections before putting too much into modifying it.

vintagemilano 04-16-2019 09:41 AM

Hi there Jay, or others I guess. What gives this car away as clearly a later model? Battery in the engine bay and an original SS rear bumper with rubber blocks (though painted over in black) would seem to coincide with 73. Apart from looking at the door jam tag or registration papers, where does it indicate later model. At some point in it's past it's had the correct front bumpers/sheet metal changed.

Cheers,


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2011 AlfaBB.com All Rights Reserved.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome