When the VIN on the title doesn’t match the firewall’s VIN - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

When the VIN on the title doesn’t match the firewall’s VIN

How can the VIN on the title be corrected to match the stamped VIN on the firewall? So I’ve negotiated to buy a classic Alfa that has well known provenance within the AROC community. The car and the previous owners are reputable and the history of the car is commonly known. In the inspection I learned that the existing title has a “0” that was interpreted as a “9” and a “5” that was interpreted as a “3”. Looking at the shallow and paint-filled stamping on the firewall, it’s easy to see how this error was made. What is the process to correct this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:10 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscooter View Post
How can the VIN on the title be corrected to match the stamped VIN on the firewall? So I’ve negotiated to buy a classic Alfa that has well known provenance within the AROC community. The car and the previous owners are reputable and the history of the car is commonly known. In the inspection I learned that the existing title has a “0” that was interpreted as a “9” and a “5” that was interpreted as a “3”. Looking at the shallow and paint-filled stamping on the firewall, it’s easy to see how this error was made. What is the process to correct this?
In my county, the local PD takes care of VIN verification. I would call your local PD and/or county tax assessor's office to see what can be done.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:46 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Every state has its own title laws. Try contacting the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles and see if you can get any information on how to fix the error.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:48 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
Try contacting the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles and see if you can get any information on how to fix the error.
...and be prepared for them to say "well that couldn't have happened; whoever created the title scanned the underhood bar code, and had to get the correct VIN".

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, osso, ghnl and alfajay! Good info, I’ll look into it. ...and yes, alfajay, I fully expect to hear “it can’t be done” a couple dozen or more times.��
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:49 AM

Different situation but it might be helpful:

I purchased my Duetto with no title. The car had last been in NY, which at least at the time was not a title state but did this through registration. It had not been registered in 35 years so they had long since purged any record of it. The owner had died and was not married and had no next of kin. He had no estate so no executor. Under PA law those would have been options for me getting me title to the car. I ended up getting all the documentation I could, which was basically the word of his girlfriend, and petitioned a court in PA to have PennDOT issue me a title, which they did. Nothing was contested, I just mailed everything I had to the court and got an order back which I brought to PennDOT.

I can understand that your state DOT and local police will have no legal option but to say sorry, but the title is to a different vehicle. A judge might be able to give them that option.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

61SS, yeah I hear ya. Well at least these experiences make for good story telling!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:00 PM

I had the same issue in Alberta Canada, they changed it right at the registries office with a photo of the vin plate, bill of sale and previous registration. It was fairly painless, hope you have the same luck!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:35 PM

Garage
I've run into this problem more than once, as some states used the engine number rather then the chassis number for the VIN, at least on the earlier 750, 101 and 105 models. I was able to retitle my 3 with the chassis number as the VIN when I moved to Wyoming by showing photos to the county clerk and having the PD verify in person.

DocArt
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
When I re registered my 1976 Alfetta GT last year after 19 yrs of non use, I had a problem with non matching VIN's on the car. California DMV states there must be 2 matching numbers. The embossed plastic emblem VIN on the driver side door post did not match the number on the bottom windshield plate. It did, however match the stamped firewall number. The day my car was built in March of 1976, someone at the factory must have drank too much VINO ROSSO....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode