Stephen's Restoration - Initial Pics/Disassembly - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinshaw View Post
it takes what i takes time wise and all the time spent organizing will pay off in refurbing n reassembly
ive never stripped a car fully to the shell all in one pass, or kept track of time as it is what it is
The reassemby takes 3-4x longer maybe longer if cleaning up as you go as I do

just had my 59 media blasted n powder coat primed n really happy with the results and the fact it will curb rust for awhile

you'll appreciate seeing it on its return, try not to worry to much on the warts, just make it straight and tackle a section at a time

cheers

oh, removing front bumper nuts should be easier, try them first and if they are fighting you, heat them up if needed or soak with penetrating oil
Yep, I am hoping that all the cataloguing will pay dividends later.

I plan on tackling the cleanup of mechanical parts myself, but will send out the SPICA and engine for rebuilds. As for the stainless, chrome, and interior, I'm not sure of the best approach yet. I want to learn new skills, and will probably try to tackle some tasks until/unless it's just beyond my ability, and then find the experts who do this for a living.

This restoration is rather like eating an elephant, one spoonful at a time. I'm just trying to spend a minimum of 4 hours daily to make progress, rather than risking frustration burnout. Some who have restored some very fine motorcars on this forum have advised this approach, and it makes sense.

Stephen.

Stephen K.
Prior Street Cars: BMW Bavaria, 3.0 Cs, 320iS, M5; Lotus Europa Twin Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMalfa View Post
Sorry for the late post, but welcome to Dallas, there are a lot of Alfisti/Italian car types in the area, and congratulations on all that you've accomplished so far, it's fired me up to get to a restorationI need to do
I stumbled upon a GTV6 for sale in a small field off Royal and 35 a few years back, but it had similar rust problems already starting, so passed on it and settled for a 164L from California.
Once again, welcome to Dallas and congratulations.
Thanks. I'm very interested to talk to local Alfistis and to learn. Hopefully there are gatherings where I can attend and look over other people's work/effort. The disassembly has consumed all of my time, and I frankly have not tried to locate other Alfa owners in this area (yet), but am hoping to do so shortly as I get into the cleanup/restoring/replacing phase of work.

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #123 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 PM

Garage
@Lighterthanair FWIW the body panels from almost all sources assume original assy. I am going through the tedious task of fitment to original without "patching things in" as far as the suspension in the long run you might be better off with a fast road handling kit from Alfaholics, (trust me you wan't to look at adjustable upper control arms since you will never get the geometry perfect) check your private messages..
pinshaw likes this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighterthanair View Post

So my guess is that this poor Alfa was sidelined by two main issues....electrics and the SPICA unit. I have no idea what Alfa's dealer network was like in 1969, or how difficult it was to get good work done, but it may have been a problem in Texas, where this car apparently spent its first life.

Stephen.
I'm late to the party and just getting caught up.

FWIW, the Sales and Service Guide from 1969 lists five dealers in Texas.

Chuck
Attached Images

post #125 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:

The cover is rusted heavily at the lower end (photo), and hopefully this is available in NOS. If not, I see fabrication in my future.
I think Classic Alfa has new ones.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #126 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yep, I am hoping that all the cataloguing will pay dividends later.

I plan on tackling the cleanup of mechanical parts myself, but will send out the SPICA and engine for rebuilds. As for the stainless, chrome, and interior, I'm not sure of the best approach yet. I want to learn new skills, and will probably try to tackle some tasks until/unless it's just beyond my ability, and then find the experts who do this for a living.

This restoration is rather like eating an elephant, one spoonful at a time. I'm just trying to spend a minimum of 4 hours daily to make progress, rather than risking frustration burnout. Some who have restored some very fine motorcars on this forum have advised this approach, and it makes sense.

Stephen.
I polished all my stainless and taken in steps, the shiny pile is encouraging to watch as it grows.
found a used pro polisher on craigslist, I only sent out the bumpers as rest was all in pretty decent shape

chrome needs to go out typically and there are some great shops still around for that
ask for referrals

interior kits are available with new foam and they arent hard to tackle, many have---note they are far from perfect, but for an easy go, def do the job. Difference between a 2k interior and a 10k interior is custom foam, custom covers, wool carpets and good leather hides handled well for no wrinkles. I spent 5k on my Berlina between door cards, seats in leather/vinyl, wool carpets, installing a CA headliner and cleaning up the trunk. Dash is going to be another 2k.
Prob save half that with off the shelf kits n foam.

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #127 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinshaw View Post
I polished all my stainless and taken in steps, the shiny pile is encouraging to watch as it grows.
found a used pro polisher on craigslist, I only sent out the bumpers as rest was all in pretty decent shape

chrome needs to go out typically and there are some great shops still around for that
ask for referrals

interior kits are available with new foam and they arent hard to tackle, many have---note they are far from perfect, but for an easy go, def do the job. Difference between a 2k interior and a 10k interior is custom foam, custom covers, wool carpets and good leather hides handled well for no wrinkles. I spent 5k on my Berlina between door cards, seats in leather/vinyl, wool carpets, installing a CA headliner and cleaning up the trunk. Dash is going to be another 2k.
Prob save half that with off the shelf kits n foam.
Well now, Peter, this is new information to me. I get the polishing/chroming thing. It just takes time. The bumpers will be going out because they need to be reshaped, dents removed, etc., and polished of course.

It's the interior costs that are a surprise to me. I was planning on doing one of the kits available, until you said "they are far from perfect." I want the interior to be as close to stock as possible, but $10k is not in the cards for me. I am determined not to get upside down on this car, which is why I'm doing most of the work myself. In your opinion, are some kits markedly better than others, that would be a good compromise?

Thanks for the input,

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #128 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
I'd ask around, i dont think they are that bad especially for a GTVs
I think the concerns I got were around the foam for the 750/101 spiders.

Im lucky in that I have a source that works with me and is old school, so these projects dont phase them
Also helps that Im on my 3rd or 4th car with them over the years
I just went with what I had in the 63 spider and my guy redid it for me for next to nothing

The Berlina had next to nothing available for it, so wasn't much of a decision
I went with leather to get the color I wanted (always the hard part for me) and wool carpets as I liked how it turned out in my GTV
the trunk was a toss in and I like how it came out

Cool part about the kits are they match the patterns n carpets drop in from the looks of it
makes it easier for dyi stuff
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport

Last edited by pinshaw; 06-05-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: aDD PICTURE
post #129 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow...gorgeous interior...now I understand. Thanks for the photo.

Stephen.
pinshaw likes this.

Stephen K.
post #130 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I'm a pilot for a local airline and the stormy weather lately has kept me very busy.
The Southwest Italian Car Club (they have a website) meets in the Grapevine area monthly, and does a great car show at Grapefest in Grapevine in September.
Also, I hope you have learned over the last few months not to ever park or drive your classic cars outside in Texas/Oklahoma from oh, November through at least June.
post #131 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMalfa View Post
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I'm a pilot for a local airline and the stormy weather lately has kept me very busy.
The Southwest Italian Car Club (they have a website) meets in the Grapevine area monthly, and does a great car show at Grapefest in Grapevine in September.
Also, I hope you have learned over the last few months not to ever park or drive your classic cars outside in Texas/Oklahoma from oh, November through at least June.
CMalfa,

Thanks for the information. I'll do a search and find out when/where the meetings take place.

And yes, I take my Lotus out very sparingly over the winter. Those summer tires have zero grip in the cold months!

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #132 of 132 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:08 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6alfas View Post
I'm late to the party and just getting caught up.

FWIW, the Sales and Service Guide from 1969 lists five dealers in Texas.

Chuck
I had my Alfetta serviced at Precision Motors in Dallas until they closed their dealership. They had two wrenches, both were excellent at their jobs and I never, ever had an issue with anything they did. Parts were always readily available.

After the dealershop closed, one wrench went on to manage a Volvo service department at a dealership. The other popped up at the "new" Alfa dealership in the nineties.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode