Stephen's Restoration - Initial Pics/Disassembly - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Garage
Dash looked like mine when I pulled it. At least yours is available. I ended up opening up cracks n plastic welding them back up. Worked pretty well on my Berlina.
Attached Images

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Peter,

It did work well. I haven't decided which way to go with this issue yet. Fortunately, there is enough work to do so that I don't have to make a decision right now.

Well done,

Stephen.

Stephen K.
Prior Street Cars: BMW Bavaria, 3.0 Cs, 320iS, M5; Lotus Europa Twin Cam
post #63 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:59 PM

Misc comments...
Big job, one step at a time...best of luck.
Re: Sticker 'Seating capacity 2 passengers' 4 seats....interesting. Wonder why? Lack of rear Seat belts?
Re: Headliner cut-out - for extra headroom for those rear passengers you aren't allowed to carry.
Re: Rear passenger handles - mine looked like yours. You can polish the alloy like I did, and they came up pretty well, but it will never look as good as the chrome. Doesn't worry me tho...one day.
Dash cracks - if you D.I.Y., expanding foam works well to do the gap filling and is easy to work. Skim of filler and textured paint over. Many threads here about dash repairs coming up really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You are right. There were no rear seat belts in the teardown. I just failed to make the connection. Just one more thing to sort out.

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #65 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:16 PM

I’m in good company!! Cheers go get it, take your time, enjoy the journey. At the end it feels empty so that’s when you look for another to start again!

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #66 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Goats,

I have so much to learn that I have to take it slowly. I doubt I would undertake this project were it not for this forum and experts who have basically seen it all and, importantly, are willing to offer their advice and the benefit of their own experiences in going down this restoration road.

It's even more daunting when I discover how the factory put these cars together, especially from year to year. And really, my greatest fear is making a major error, like tweaking the monocoque during its rebuild.

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #67 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Misc comments...
Big job, one step at a time...best of luck
Re: Rear passenger handles - mine looked like yours. You can polish the alloy like I did, and they came up pretty well, but it will never look as good as the chrome. Doesn't worry me tho...one day.
Dash cracks - if you D.I.Y., expanding foam works well to do the gap filling and is easy to work. Skim of filler and textured paint over. Many threads here about dash repairs coming up really well.
Ranz,

Thanks. I'm thinking of attempting the dash repair (cracks). If I am unhappy with the results, I can always have Just Dashes do it and swallow the cost of doing so. And I'll definitely polish the alloy passenger handles - same thing....if they are too far gone, I'll replace/plate them.

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #68 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A big day. Everything I could find in the engine bay was disconnected/removed/catalogued and stored, mostly small bits. Underneath the car, the prop shaft and cross member for the gearbox was removed. Disturbingly, these all came off VERY easily, too much so for comfort. AND, the cross brace was missing two bolts.

I had help from my son in extracting the engine. It went smoothly after we discovered that we had to disconnect the passenger side steering mount to lower the steering out of the way of the gearbox.

Sure enough, the LHS engine mount was broken - too bad, as I was going to use that to build a plate for the engine stand.
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #69 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
And here is the result. Next step is removal of the remaining wiring harness, which should be a snap, power washing the engine bay, inspection for rust and the cross member, which I have heard is a weak structural point on these cars.

Oh, I forgot to include one POitis shot (second photo). You will notice that the plug wires are zip tied tightly together. That was a PO 'repair' or 'maintenance' feature. I suppose he thought he was being neat and tidy when he did that.
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #70 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wiring Harness is out, a 5 minute job, really, at this stage. I have found a source for a 'new' harness, but am saving the old one for two reasons. First, I don't know what is included in the new harness/loom. All the photos (1) just show it coiled up. For example, I cannot see if the rear portion of the harness is included. And second, I want to trace the bodges the PO did to the electrics. I'm still trying to find out what took this car off the road in November, 1981.

In examining the front of the harness, there is clear evidence of PO work on the headlamps and parking lamps. Out back, there are splices to the tail lamps as well as weird grounding attempts. So this car definitely had electrical 'issues.' And since these gremlins can be difficult to troubleshoot, it would naturally be a source of frustration for any owner who is not mechanically inclined.

In the photo, I placed a spirit level at the point where the firewall is, for reference.

Stephen
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #71 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
When removing the engine/gearbox, I just cut out the exhaust because it is beyond hope of reuse anyway, and I'm thinking of a slight diameter increase anyway, just to allow the engine to breathe a bit better. I had to make three cuts to get everything out, and at each cut, things look worse as I got closer to the engine side.

Once the engine was out, I removed the headers, which was disturbingly easy (exhaust leaks?)….and looked inside the exhaust ports.... caked carbon and WET. This car's FI was way out of tune. I'm not sure how long it ran this way - probably not very long at all.

So my guess is that this poor Alfa was sidelined by two main issues....electrics and the SPICA unit. I have no idea what Alfa's dealer network was like in 1969, or how difficult it was to get good work done, but it may have been a problem in Texas, where this car apparently spent its first life.

Third pic is a shot of the chassis number.

Stephen.
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #72 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The next two days will be spent on separating the engine/gearbox/prop shaft units, with help from my son.

Here's my plan, based partially on what I've seen some of you doing in other restorations. Please chime in if you think I am making a mistake here....

I am building a rolling trolley out of 4x4s, 2x6s, and 2x4s. Although a rotisserie came with the sale of the car, I am very concerned about the structural integrity of the monocoque at this stage. The car will rest on the frame rails initially, while I dismantle the suspension and remove the rear end. Then I will put the car back on the 2-post lift, dismantle the trolley and refashion it to rest on the suspension mounts. The car will be elevated to allow easy access to the sills and floors, and I'll start building out from the tunnel after media blasting. The guys doing the blasting will like the fact that they can get under the car.

Of course I will replace the door hinges and mount/remount the doors to get the gaps correct.

Here's my concern: I don't want to move the car in this condition, to/from the blasters. So I am looking for one of those firms that do mobile blasting and will come to my location. Otherwise, I'll have to do the door gaps, then weld in structural steel before sending it out. Maybe the monocoque is inherently stronger than I believe it to be and I'm worried for nothing. But getting it wrong at this stage could be fatal to the project.

Any advice?

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #73 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 AM

Garage
Tip on doors. Drill 2 holes in hinges before taking them apart to pin during reassembly May be off a little depending on rebuild but maybe not. Blasting is good just be ready to seal it right away. Mobile or otherwise. Re rostisserie—if it’s attached to right parts it will be better than a dolly. But you are there. Do what works for you.

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #74 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good idea! I haven't taken them off yet, so I assume the holes go into the mounting plates?

The people that do the blasting immediately shoot primer. The ones I'm talking to prefer grey epoxy primer. Others I've spoken to use red oxide weld-through primer and just keep applying it after welding. Don't know if you can weld through epoxy or not. Again, I'm learning as I go.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #75 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Three New Acquisitions Today:

Well, I looked at my inner sills (19 Gauge) and think it's possible to reconstruct them using a brake. I need one anyway for the construction of a light-gauge powder coating booth for suspension parts, so I'm going to have a go, potentially saving the cost of those inner sill portions which are rotted at the A Pillar.

Also ran across an air scraper, which I'll need for scraping off the interior gunk that's hardened to the floors and tunnel. It will get its first workout tomorrow and I'll let everyone know if it's a useful tool or not, for this application. It's not a big risk - $22 USD.

Finally, I picked up a remote viewing tool. It has a handheld 3.5-inch colour viewing screen, mated to a 39-inch probe at the end of which is a lens. You fish that probe down the sills, to confirm exactly where I need to cut, and more importantly, to avoid missing anything simply because it "looked OK" from the outside. One of the scary things I learned from E-Types is that their front subframe tubes can look great, but since they rust from the inside out, it could be a disaster waiting to happen. Good restorers just pull it and treat the inside chemically, and hope it's OK. What's better is that it has an SD card, so it can be viewed later on a larger computer screen. I'm paranoid about doing a lot of rust repair and missing something that appears under new paint later on. It can also fit down a spark plug hole, so I can look at the innards of the motor before tearing it apart. Apparently, plumbers and other trades use this to look into pipes and crevices, around corners, etc. to diagnose problems. Never knew this existed.....live and learn.....

Now off to watch the Daytona 500....it's not F1, but it's racing, which is the important thing. I've been around that track, and while it's not the Nordschleife, it's pretty interesting when cars are three-wide into turn 3. At 200 mph. Can't wait for Kimi's second debut in Australia...."Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"....."Yes, Yes, I'm doing it all the time!"

Stephen.

Stephen K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode