Stephen's Restoration - Initial Pics/Disassembly - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Reads like a retirement project.

I've said this before, but once you do the floors, chassis rails, bottom of door pillars, sills/rockers, door repairs, bottom of guards, front cross member, bottom of front panel, spare wheel well, bottom of rear panel and boot lid you largely only have windscreen pillar work to go, AND 99.99% of these cars need all of this work done.

Restoring a 105 series Alfa is all about building a brand new shell. Yes you will save money buying an already restored one, but if you do not buy well, you can end up spending a lot of money and having to do all of the above anyway.
Pete
Precisely, Pete,

The same is true for other cars - E-Types, TVRs, Austin Healeys, etc. But Healeys and E-Types in good condition are getting outrageous and as you said, may need a lot of work anyway. There are a lot of bad restorations out there, hidden by a $20k paint job.

And it is a retirement project. But I have my supervisor and time to do it right. And really, it saddens me to part out a beautiful car like this. It could be worse....I could be trying to restore a Lada!! Now that really would be insane.

Stephen.

Stephen K.
Prior Street Cars: BMW Bavaria, 3.0 Cs, 320iS, M5; Lotus Europa Twin Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighterthanair View Post
... I want to learn new skills like panel forming/welding, etc.

....have the time, and want a challenge.

.... In my opinion, for that marque, he's doing God's work. I'd like to give it a try.

And I like to annoy my family....
Well, good attitude. You have all the reasons you need. And your helper seems helpful.

If you have 15 minutes, this video of restoring a rusty old vice is very relaxing and therapeutic... It's quiet, no talking, and not for the money - just the joy of craftsmanship....

horsewidower and jantar like this.

1967 1600 Spider
post #48 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ha! A vice, bodied by Bertone no doubt!

But I do appreciate it. That may mean that I have a problem.

Stephen.

Stephen K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Thanks again...I'll check this more closely when I get over there to confirm. Are you still selling stickers for 1969's?

Stephen.
Yes, I am still selling stickers, but not just for 69 Alfas. My selection has grown substantially over the last year. PM your email address and I will send you some pictures.

Quote:
Wow....I've just spent three hours on your website, and cannot believe how much time you have saved me. You have truly done a great service to owners of all of these models, and I for one am grateful.

Thanks again,

Stephen.
I started collecting in the early nineties and shortly thereafter, started scanning them. Wille Roos started the Duetto Registry so, I thought what better place for my digital files. My hope is they have helped a lot of people. They are all available for download, so please take whatever you need. I am glad that you found them helpful.
Craig_m67 and jantar like this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #50 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
On to the doors and rest of the interior. The LH side has been subjected to POitis. As I think I said previously, it looked like the driver's side window had been down when this was in a field, so the whole LH side is in worse condition than the right.

Second photo is the RHS. As you can see in the third photo, the plastic covering is still intact, probably meaning that this door escaped PO attention. It came apart without any problems.

I carefully examined the bottom of both doors, and they are in good shape, surprisingly. But I'm scratching my head in puzzlement, because there are no drain holes in either door. I just assumed they would be there, plugged up by gunk and rusting. But no....
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #51 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear lamps, in situ and then on the bench.

I may be able to retain the lenses, but the bucket/receptacles are in sad shape. I wonder if I can get these separately from the lenses.
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #52 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a question regarding plastic (small) parts...and no, I have not found it in any threads so far, although I haven't spent a lot of time looking....has anyone tried 3D printing of these parts?

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #53 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ugh....sometimes you look at a task and just want to go away and have a coffee....

I'll start with the center console, the heater matrix, and then the dash.
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #54 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dash is out. What a pain. Not because it is complex, but the fasteners were a bear to get off.

First pic shows the front/top. The hole for the radio was either done by the selling dealer or a PO. In either case, whoever cut the hole obviously closed his eyes when making the cut and decided to use the Force or some other non-visual technique. The far right has an obvious PO addition - it looks like a distance calculator of some sort. Maybe a PO tried to do a time/distance rally at some point in his/her ownership?

Nevertheless, my Manager is inspecting my work. He is clearly unimpressed.

Third photo shows the back of one of the instruments. I shot this because of the date stamp on the housing. Last photo of both instruments on the bench, ready to be catalogued.
Attached Images

SOROKOS likes this.

Stephen K.
post #55 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I decided to get the dash out before attacking the heater/fan/matrix, just for the sake of access. Not too bad. The heat exchanger was packed with leaves and a couple of insect nests.

I was just going to blow it out with a little compressed air, but my Manager has taken a dislike to air tools, trying to bite them while I'm using them. My hand got in the way of his teeth today, and I'm bleeding like a stuck pig. He's a trained protection dog, and is trained for gunfire....turns out that anything in someone's hand that makes a lot of noise is his cue to spring into action. So this was my fault.
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #56 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Interior bits and headliner. The courtesy lamps look awful, and I'm not sure I can bring these back. The headliner came out easily. The insulation has deteriorated and has to be replaced. I think I'll do that with some modern materials like Dynamat.

In looking at the design of this, I cannot fathom why Alfa Romeo split the headliner like they did (upper portion of second photo). It just seems unnecessary.

My Manager is taking a break. His excuse for not pitching in more is that he lacks opposable thumbs. Typical lame excuse.
Attached Images

pescara likes this.

Stephen K.
post #57 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So, the interior is gutted except for the portion of the wiring harness that comes from the engine bay. Fuel tank is out, and I think I'll try to clean/coat that myself. Eastwood has a kit that seems like it may work. {I obviously am not showing every bit of my work}. Next step is the engine bay itself.
Attached Images

Stephen K.
post #58 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Because the glass is original to the car, and because I'm a coward, I decided to ask an experienced guy I know to come over and remove the windscreen and rear glass. It took him maybe 15 minutes with a heat gun and razor/box cutter. I felt like an idiot, as the process was so simple and quick. But, the glass is out intact, with the stainless steel trim unmolested. I don't know if having original glass intact helps the value of the car or not, but I want the car as original as possible.

Stephen

Stephen K.
post #59 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine Bay Examination: The whole LHS of the engine bay shows surface rust, but nothing severe, as compared to the RHS. My guess is that this is to be expected, since the LHS is where fluids like battery acid and brake fluid live and do their work on paint.

Also, the engine is off-center, so I have a collapsed LHS engine mount, most probably (hard to see for sure).

Looking at the manual, I have to disconnect the front prop shaft, then the clutch actuator, cross braces for the gearbox and bearing carrier for the prop shaft. Then all the relays in the engine bay, brake reservoirs, etc. Should be fast and easy. Famous last words of an Alfa novice.

Stephen.

Stephen K.
post #60 of 132 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Pete,

I have been going through your GTV restoration thread(s) with great interest. You are obviously far advanced compared to me, both in progress and in skill. I have a process question:

I sourced a used rotisserie, but plan to first construct an elevated trolley to attach to the suspension mounting points, to start on the floors, sills, frame rails, etc. I just don't have confidence that the monocoque has sufficient stiffness for a rotisserie yet. My door hinges are toast, so I was thinking of getting new ones, setting/confirming the door gaps, getting it on the trolley, rechecking the doors, and getting on with the repairs. What do you think about that course of action?

In looking at your threads (I'm still going through them), it appears that you did roughly the same thing unless I've misunderstood something.

Stephen.

Stephen K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode