101 SS Restoration near completion - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

101 SS Restoration near completion

A 1961 101 SS restoration near completion and should be able to start the engine next week. The car will be sent for complete interior restoration very soon. The next projects are a 2600 Spider and a 750 Sprint. I also am helping a friend repair his 1958 507 BMW engine.
horsewidower likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I need to install the radiator, heater hoses, bolt on Webers, install driveshaft and a few more parts and then can start the engine.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:23 PM

Would love to see some photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

The car is undergoing complete restoration and have not taken many photos. I will probably take some photos when the car is completed and is to be shipped to the interior shop for complete interior restoration. I believe that you should either completely restore a car and leave it for someone else. I think it is easier to buy a restored car. I tell my friends that have car collections that it is much cheaper to trade in your real cars and buy model cars but, they say that you cannot ride in model cars. Do you have a 1961 SS?

Last edited by kuni123456; 12-01-2018 at 08:21 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:02 AM

I did until a couple of years ago... I bought a basket case many years ago and started work on it. You know the story... I moved, got married, etc and I didn't touch it for years. I still had it when I joined here, hence my screen name. I got divorced and looked at it again and found that it had gotten to be too valuable a car for me to drive and I didn't want a show car. I sold it as I had left it and that became the budget for the Duetto I have now. The guy I sold it to became a buddy and invited me out to drive it. He did a really nice job, better than I could have, so it's in a good place. They are very, very cool cars.

Last edited by 61SS; 12-02-2018 at 04:52 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I know many owners who purchased cars decades ago like this one and never restored the cars. I restored my 1957 Giulietta Spider 40 years ago when the car had nearly zero value because I liked the car. I have always thought that car collecting was just a hobby and not an investment. The definition of hobby usually does not have investment as part of the definition example eating good food and going on vacations. I also tell my car collector friends that their dependents will probably benefit from the sale of their cars. I also agree that there will be a large supply of cars and very few buyers in the next twenty years, and car prices will go down. I think that when someone develops a four hundred mile electric car battery, the production of gasoline will greatly decline and the gasoline powered cars might be outlawed or severely restricted. I am a retired chemist and know that gasoline powered cars pollute twice once when the fuel is produced and twice when the fuel is burned compared to an electric car which pollutes only once. I plan to drive my gasoline powered cars as long as possible and might live long enough to see the end of the gasoline powered ear. I tell all of my friends who are mostly retired to enjoy their vehicles because time is limited and health does not last forever.
Attached Images

PSk, JCDK and LaurandSteve like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:01 AM

Looks great!

My first Alfa was a pretty solid but not running '56 Giulietta Spider (# 01015) that I bought in the early 80's when I was about 22. I paid $1,300 for it. It was a second car for a few years, then a daily driver for a few more. I bought the SS (#381) for $2,500. I sold the spider after I bought my first Duetto, which was not road worthy when I bought it. I still had the SS and needed some space. I wish I still had that Giulietta... not because it is valuable but it was just a wonderful car. I had the SS engine in it for a while. So much fun! It idled beautifully and revved like crazy. Had to get 3000 or 3500 on the tach before it made much torque but I love the sound of shrieking Webers. It was actually a pretty good autocrosser because it was so nimble. Met some really nice people back then too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I restored my 1961 Sprint Veloce which was given to me by my Father in 1968. I had the head ported, installed 1600 Veloce cams, 1400 kit, Bosch distributor and re-jetted the Webers. I drove the car in AROSC Time Trials at a number of Southern California Racetracks and won my class. I remember finishing ahead of a 101 SS on the Riverside International Raceway short track. I had lots of fun and might have some photos taken at the race track. I even used my car at Bob Bonderant's driving school which was located at Ontario Motor Speedway. I should have bought a 1953 Ferrari 340 Mexico Spider instead of a new 1977 Alfetta Sedan. The Ferrari was a famous racing car driven by Bill Spear and won many races in the US. I like the idea of having a car with a top speed of nearly 180 mph and it would have been great to run the car at the AROSC Time Trials in its own class.

The SS is almost finished and should be able to start the car by the end of week. I can take some photos after the car is finished but the interior needs to be installed.

This a photo of Sprint Veloce taken two weeks ago.
Attached Images

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I am helping a friend change head gaskets on his 1958 507 BMW. The engines leak oil into the radiator and will suggest using O-rings in the head gaskets like ones used on Alfas. The heads have been removed and waiting for the gaskets. The wire wheel in the back round belongs to a 1972 Ferrari Daytona Spider. If you think Alfa parts are expensive try buying parts for the BMW. I was told that the tool kit is worth $40K!
Attached Images

Max Pershyn likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I finally attached the intake manifold. I am getting old because those nuts under the Webers are hard to get to. I need to install the generator, attach oil pressure line, install radiator, attach driveshaft, attach clutch rod, install the fuel line, install radiator hoses and then start the motor. I forgot the install air hoses and air cleaner.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I attached the oil pressure line, driveshaft, transmission exhaust mount and clutch rod. The throttle rod clip was difficult to snap on maybe because it was new old stock.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

I have finished the mechanical assembly and started the engine yesterday. I also drove my 1961 Sprint Veloce for the first time in three months. I have to bolt on some trim and attach the door glass and the car should be ready to have the interior restored in San Diego.
Attached Images

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

The rear end of the car.
Attached Images

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:32 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Nice

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

The 1961 SS is ready to go to San Diego for complete interior restoration. This shop has restored many cars that have been in the Pebble Beach Concourse and the car will be sent shortly on a car transporter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode