GTV Grille - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlfistiSA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
GTV Grille

Does anyone know how the three parts of the GTV grille are held together? I just received a used grille and it came in three pieces. There is no indication of how these parts are held together; does not look like screws. Could it havebeen soldered together?

Thanks!

Ya say ya don't have a ticket, walk in backwards, they'll think you're coming out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

hi if its a 72 to 74 gtv grill its 3 separate pieces and get screwed on the car into the plastic tabs

Ben Serpico. 74 gtv 75 alfetta 76 gtv
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
OK, I have a 72 and took the old one off and it was one piece. I bought a new one and it came in one piece also. I see the holes but it does not look like there are any threads.

Thanks

Ya say ya don't have a ticket, walk in backwards, they'll think you're coming out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hello on my 74 gtv there is a center main grill with the alfa emblem on it, and 2 separate hour glass pieces that fit on the sides ,there should be square plastic tabs on the mounting points of the car that the grill gets screwed on, they look like license plate holders, u can pick those up at any auto parts store,if u go on centerline website they have nice pictures of the grills. ciao

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sorry, I should have been more clear and send these pictures. I received the grille in three pieces (see photos). Somehow, they were bonded in some way when mfg. There are holes that line up but there are no threads in the holes for screws or small bolts. I tried JB Weld but that did not work. I am just trying to figure out how all three pieces stay fixed together.

Thanks!
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

ok now i got you i totally misunderstood the question lol and i have no idea how to repair that sorry ciao

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:36 PM

Do some googling...seems like I saw some threads on this...

Gene
'71 GTV 1750 USA SPICA
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

From memory on my '73 GTV the fixings were a soft type of rivet that was pressed or squashed into place by the manufacturer to secure the 2 pieces together.

I'd suggest a soft aluminium rivet, (NOT a pop rivet, they are way too hard and you risk breaking off the tabs on the grille....), but a solid soft aluminium rivet with a countersunk head. You can cut them to a suitable length with a pair of side cutters and very gentle tapping on the cut end will deform the soft metal enough to hold them together. About 3.2mm in diameter with a +- 4mm countersunk head should do it. I've just finished a vintage single seater race car with a full aluminium body. We used lots of them to hold panels together and to add reinforcing patches to panel openings etc. Typical pre-war stuff. The rivets are really easy to work with.

If you can't source these rivets on your side of the pond, send me a PM, my local Rivco shop has them and they are quite cheap - I'll stick a few in an envelope for you

Ciao
Greig
cuorealfa likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Great, thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode