67 Duetto 663438 Restoration - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1600 Bottom End

The spark plugs were out when I got the engine. Don't know how many years it sat like that. The cylinder walls are rusty. The #1 and #3 cylinders look like sand got into them.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Fortunately, I was able to remove the rod bolts and lift the crank out with the pistons frozen in place.

The bearings and the crankshaft showed very little wear.
Attached Images

post #108 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

All of the liners came out of the block normally.

I used a 12 ton press to try to remove the pistons from their liners. #2 and #4 came out with some difficulty. #1 broke the liner before it came out. I stopped at that point.

I'll need some new Con Rods as well as Pistons and Liners.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The block cleaned up nicely.

I'll send the Generator and Starter out to be rebuilt. Same for the Webers and Bosch distributor.
Attached Images

post #110 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:15 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
How did you clean it so amazingly well?

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #111 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
How did you clean it so amazingly well?

Pete
Other than a thick accumulation of dust and dirt (and some blue paint that was spilled on it and maybe some sand), it really was pretty clean to start with.

I spray it down with PB Blaster and then hit it with a water hose.
post #112 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

If u need to get the rods out just take a hammer wear safety goggles and break the liner. it is useless away and maybe the rod will be ok. good luck
post #113 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 06:37 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Split the liner with a chisel or 6" grinder and rod will be saved ... piston and liner not.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #114 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:16 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Jeff, it's a good idea to get into all of the oil passageways. These commonly collect junk. You don't want any of this coming out after fresh rebuild. @hotlegs32, I think, uses gun cleaning brushes and high pressure water to clean everything out. Hopefully, she will chime in and show what she uses.

Brian __________________________________

post #115 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Split the liner with a chisel or 6" grinder and rod will be saved ... piston and liner not.
Pete
I had two 1750s that sat open for years and looked like yours. I saved the rods out of both by cutting one side of the liner through with an abrasive wheel and then hammering a brick or cold chisel into that slot. It's messy but not difficult.
post #116 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Radiator rebuilt

My radiator was a bit torn up from being shuffled around on shelves over the years. I had it torn apart so that the top tank could be straightned.
After re-coring it, it probably ended up being more expensive than a reproduction radiator, but I think it looks good and it has all the correct manufacturer's markings.
I never ran the car with a radiator shroud. Fortunately, I had found this NOS one years ago.
Attached Images

post #117 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
WOW! I would have done just what you did!

Brian __________________________________

post #118 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hood Latch and Fuse Box

Here's a couple more parts cleaned and installed. Along with photos taken back in the 80's.
Attached Images

post #119 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Heater Control Panel

I had three to chose from -
1) panel from 1968 1750 Spider s/n 10557.1410461. This was a spider originally produced for sale in Germany. Unfortunately, the PO had wrecked it into a brick wall and it was parted out
2) panel from my 1967 1600 Spider.
3) panel from 1966 1600 Spider, s/n 10503.660473. It had been almost completed stripped when I bought it for the few remaining parts. I ended up selling it as a rolling chassis.

In the photos, they are laying left to right - 1968, 1967, 1966

The German car's panel doesn't have the bracket for the Emergency Flasher toggle. I believe those were only added to the cars destined to be sold in the US. Otherwise, the 67 and 68 panels are nearly identicle.
The 1966 panel has different internals and is the design that is depicted in the 1600 Spider Spare Parts Catalog.

I don't know why the original design was replaced. I actually think it has advantages over the later design.
The early design uses a "Ball and Detent" type of mechanism that locks the levers in the leftmost or rightmost positions. The later design doesn't lock into any position.
Also, on the early design the levers are completely independent from each other. Moving one lever can't effect the position of the other lever.
On the later design, the 2 levers pivot on the same shaft. There's a fiber disc separating the levers and moving one lever tends to shift the other lever.

So, I decided to clean up the 1966 control panel.
Attached Images

post #120 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1966 Heater Control

This is what I started with.
I had a decent face plate from my 67 panel. However, the plastic fasteners broke off course.
I made new fasteners by turning down Phillips head screws to the same diameter and profile. Filled the remaining recess with epoxy and painted them black.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode