67 Duetto 663438 Restoration - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Rocco View Post
Doing a great job on the restoration. Will be doing a full restore on my Ossa di Seppia in the coming weeks and will no doubt be following your posts in more detail. Any suggestions? Especially things to avoid and things that need to be done? Many thanks!!
Good luck with your project!

Iíve spent considerable time and effort cleaning up my original parts rather than using new reproduction stuff. Itís tempting (and easy) to order all the reproduction stuff from the various suppliers on the web. But the fact is: copies arenít arenít the same as original parts. Try to find original parts as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anthony Rocco
Thanks for the best wishes!! Yes will definitely use original and restored parts wherever I can. I suppose that is the best part of the (restoration) journey especially here in Italy where they have many swap-meets.
post #93 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:14 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the best wishes!! Yes will definitely use original and restored parts wherever I can. I suppose that is the best part of the (restoration) journey especially here in Italy where they have many swap-meets.
I don't know if this is true, but the best Mostre to go to is the one in Imola in September.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 AM

Garage
You are spot on about the Imola Mostra which is only 2.4 hours by train from Rome. Another big mostra in Italy (central - south) is in Frosinone 72 miles south of Rome. Hopefully both will provide a wealth of used original parts!! Must admit AlfaBB also provides great opportunities to buy/sell among enthusiastic members!!

Mostra Scambio Imola - Home Page - Manifestazione organizzata dal Club Romagnolo Auto e Moto d'Epoca
Homepage -
post #95 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
You are spot on about the Imola Mostra which is only 2.4 hours by train from Rome. Another big mostra in Italy (central - south) is in Frosinone 72 miles south of Rome. Hopefully both will provide a wealth of used original parts!! Must admit AlfaBB also provides great opportunities to buy/sell among enthusiastic members!!

Mostra Scambio Imola - Home Page - Manifestazione organizzata dal Club Romagnolo Auto e Moto d'Epoca
Homepage -
I am so envious. My imagination is getting the best of me dreaming about what I could find there.
post #96 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocewhippet View Post
I am so envious. My imagination is getting the best of me dreaming about what I could find there.
It will be a first for me in Italy so it will be very interesting...and no doubt complimented with lots of good food and wine!! Will post pics and detail my experiences
post #97 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:27 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
There are several Facebook groups for Spiders, Sedans and Coupes. Lots of folks selling things on them.

post #98 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Engine update

During the course of trying to find a suitable replacment for my Duetto's original engine, I've picked up a total of 3 engines.

The first, a complete 1750 from a friend of mine here in Washington. Its a AR00551 engine that was out of a 69 Spider.
But I decided I really should stick with a 1600 for originality. Plus, after tearing it down, it obviously needed a complete overhaul.
I'll keep it for Pat in case he ever wants it back.

The second, a 1600 from southern CA. I bought it knowing that it was a AR00502 engine which wasn't correct for a Duetto. It probably started out in a Giulia Sprint GT.
It appears to be in great shape, but is a bit of a hybrid with a mix of later parts for increased power.

Then, I came across a complete 1600 that actually is appropriate. It's an AR00536 engine and it's complete.
It looks like its been sitting in a garage since about 1980 (based on the newspaper that was stuffed in the intake).
Since my car has also been sitting since the 80's, it just seems right that this is the engine that I should be using.
We'll see what the insides look like....
Attached Images

post #99 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

more pictures

Attached Images

post #100 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 01:42 AM

Garage
looks promising,

the 502 engine is very rare and quite valuable to someone that is missing one, used in the sprint GT only.

cheers Ian

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #101 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Looks like there's another difference between an early Duetto and later Spiders that I wasn't aware of.

My 67 was missing it's original inner fender panels (just the forward one's, I have the rear one's).

I cleaned up a pair of inner panels that I believe came off of a 69 spider. They don't fit.

So, I found a pair of panels on eBay that supposedly came off another 67 Duetto. Sure enough, they're smaller in just the right areas and they do fit.
Attached Images

ossodiseppia likes this.
post #102 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Looks like there's another difference between an early Duetto and later Spiders that I wasn't aware of.

My 67 was missing it's original inner fender panels.

I cleaned up a pair of inner panels that I believe came off of a 69 spider. They don't fit.
That is interesting. I'm missing the round headlight access ports for whatever reason - I think the body shop misplaced them and I didn't notice until they were long gone. Are those common?

1967 1600 Spider
post #103 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:21 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
That is interesting. I'm missing the round headlight access ports for whatever reason - I think the body shop misplaced them and I didn't notice until they were long gone. Are those common?
I would think they are the same size for all Spiders with these splash shields. I would be more than happy to make a template for you, unless you can find some to purchase.

Let me know and PM me your email address. I will do it next week.

post #104 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:

My 67 was missing it's original inner fender panels (just the forward one's, I have the rear one's).

So, I found a pair of panels on eBay that supposedly came off another 67 Duetto. Sure enough, they're smaller in just the right areas and they do fit.
Jeff, I just checked the part manuals. It looks like the Roundtail Spiders shared that same splash shield (105.03). The 1750 Kammtail, lists one with a different parts number (105.35)

post #105 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1600 Engine update

I finished tearing down the 1600. Looks good, but with a couple issues.

The throttle linkage was rusted together. No problem though, I have another.

The head looks to have just some normal wear and carbon buildup. I believe the cams are the correct ones for a 67 Duetto.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode