67 Duetto 663438 Restoration - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I bought these reproduction trunk script pieces several years ago. Took them out of the bag earlier this year and decided to re-chrome the original pieces.

Here's the originals, followed by the reproductions.

I think the "R" is a little tweeked in the original one.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:11 AM

The latter script is not as fine as the earlier version which prefer too.
Tim
post #78 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:12 AM

Garage
I always thought the R on the original wasn’t quite right either.. but they all seem to be like this, including mine

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:11 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
They are that way because they get bent at sometime during the life of the car. This more than likely happens when someone is washing or drying the car.

I'd go with the original

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #80 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
They are that way because they get bent at sometime during the life of the car. This more than likely happens when someone is washing or drying the car.

I'd go with the original

I found this picture in my "pre-restoration" photos. I think it got bent that way a long time ago.
Attached Images

post #81 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:37 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
I might have to retract my previous statement. The other day, I ran across an image of a factory ad or publication in which the Alfa Romeo script had the funny looking R. I did not make the connection.
velocewhippet likes this.

post #82 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I might have to retract my previous statement. The other day, I ran across an image of a factory ad or publication in which the Alfa Romeo script had the funny looking R. I did not make the connection.
Thats good. No way would I want to try bending the shape of it. I'm afraid I'd snap it.

Ok, one last photo about the trunk script. Installed...
Attached Images

ossodiseppia likes this.
post #83 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Garage
For a long time I thought mine was bent from car washing, between the L and the F because they aren't parallel. I figured out at some point that's just the way they look.

1967 1600 Spider
post #84 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Soft Top Frame Bushings

I was putting together the Soft Top Frame and decided I needed to do something about the way it rattled so much.

Without finding any bushings for sell at any of the online Alfa parts distributers and without a lathe for making ones myself, I decided to improvise.

The Inner Diameter of one of the links measured 0.506" and the shaft it sits on measured 0.396".

I found nylon wire clamps at the local hardware store. And after trimming off the excess material, it fits nearly perfectly.
Attached Images

post #85 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Here's the final photos with the link held tightly in place with the bronze washer and steel washer taking up the side-to-side clearances.
Attached Images

post #86 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocewhippet View Post
I found nylon wire clamps at the local hardware store. And after trimming off the excess material, it fits nearly perfectly.
That was very clever! What did you use to cut the nylon clamps? I would try tin snips, but you may have a better solution.

In post #84, the second photo shows a wire with hooks on either end. I'm guessing you use those to hang small parts (like convertible top pivot nuts) while you are painting them.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-13-2018 at 05:40 PM.
post #87 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Great job, Jeff.

post #88 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
That was very clever! What did you use to cut the nylon clamps? I would try tin snips, but you may have a better solution.

In post #84, the second photo shows a wire with hooks on either end. I'm guessing you use those to hang small parts (like convertible top pivot nuts) while you are painting them.
Thanks. Yes, I used snips to trim off the excess material.

After making that first one and confirming this works. I bought the next size larger clamps and trimmed them so that they wrapped nearly the entire 360 degrees around. But even that first one should be sufficient to last for years.

And yes, that's a piece of tig welding wire that I used for painting parts. Easier to cut and form into shape than coat hangers.
post #89 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:21 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anthony Rocco
Doing a great job on the restoration. Will be doing a full restore on my Ossa di Seppia in the coming weeks and will no doubt be following your posts in more detail. Any suggestions? Especially things to avoid and things that need to be done? Many thanks!!
post #90 of 150 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Rocco View Post
Doing a great job on the restoration. Will be doing a full restore on my Ossa di Seppia in the coming weeks and will no doubt be following your posts in more detail. Any suggestions? Especially things to avoid and things that need to be done? Many thanks!!
I wish you Good Luck, enjoy this trip! First, you must have your garage for a full restoration.

Sorokos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode