Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington State, USA
Not much progress to report on with my car. Too many projects around the house. But with the weather getting nicer, I don't there's much that can keep me out of the garage.
What I have been working on has kept me struggling with the quality/accuracy of reproduction parts.
The lollypop reflectors from Alfaholics were good. They're on.
The Door Strikers (also from Alfaholics) were also good. But I had a set of original parts that ended up cleaning up nicely. So that's whats on. (rather use originals than reproductions)
Alfa Romeo trunk script. Bought this years ago. Turns out the original "Romeo" has three studs. The repo has two (and in different locations). I'll get the originals re-chromed.
Hard Top Chrome (mounts between the trunk lid and the convertible top). Wrong shape. I'll get my originals re-chromed.
The Door Buffers and Door Buffer gaskets were the wrong material and mis-shapen. So, I cleaned up what I had and they're actually quite nice.
Outside Mirror from Classic Alfa was good. So, that's on.
Tail Light Housings, also from Classic Alfa. Don't fit well, but unless I can find originals, they'll do.
Licence Plate Lights and Reverse Light from Classic Alfa - somewhat useable. I salvaged parts from original assemblies and will make these repo parts work.
Inside Rearview Mirror and Sun Visors from Classic Alfa. I'm not sure I'll use these, but I'm not ready to assemble the interior. So I'll defer that decision until later.
Rubber Mat set from Cicognani. Very good rubber set, but the door sills and interior piece that goes from side to side behind the seats are different than the originals. So, I'll use my originals in those locations.
Then, there's the headlight covers. So much junk. The set from Classic Alfa and Centerline wouldn't fit on anyone's car.
I have a pair of covers that were bought at an Alfa dealership that are 40+ years old. Both are lightly scratched, but will clean up. But the Driver's side has both tabs broken off.
I have one more set coming from Re-Originals that they claim is made in Italy on the original dies. If those are thin and mis-shapen like the 2 sets of reproductions that I already have, then I'll try using my old ones.
I did throw some flat black paint on the areas that the factory had painted.
It looked like the original paint was rapidly brushed on. So I did the same (reminded me of throwing paint on a Rhodie FAL that I restored a few years ago)
Last edited by velocewhippet; 03-13-2018 at 05:33 AM.