67 Duetto 663438 Restoration - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 04:14 PM

Thumbs up

Looks fantastic—good luck with everything!

1966 Duetto 1600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocewhippet View Post
All one piece again (although my wife continues to refer to it as "half a car")
Dont you mean "halfa-romeo"?

1969 1750 Spider*Giorgia?*
1970 1750 Spider*magica*--mi ha lasciato per un altro,luglio 2015
post #63 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:55 PM

BTW what color code did you use? I am looking at painting my 69 and am looking for paint color codes.

Boh and the car looks awesome!

1969 1750 Spider*Giorgia?*
1970 1750 Spider*magica*--mi ha lasciato per un altro,luglio 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM

Great story and pictures, thanks for sharing
post #65 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Subscribed! Excellent work and attention to detail.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by howndog View Post
Dont you mean "halfa-romeo"?
Why didn't I think of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howndog View Post
BTW what color code did you use? I am looking at painting my 69 and am looking for paint color codes.

Boh and the car looks awesome!
Its Alfa 514 Red. The Ditzler code is 71844

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Subscribed! Excellent work and attention to detail.
Thanks. The 67 Duetto that you restored and Osso's are the gold standards that I'm striving for.
Attached Images

SOROKOS likes this.
post #67 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Not much progress to report on with my car. Too many projects around the house. But with the weather getting nicer, I don't there's much that can keep me out of the garage.

What I have been working on has kept me struggling with the quality/accuracy of reproduction parts.

The lollypop reflectors from Alfaholics were good. They're on.
The Door Strikers (also from Alfaholics) were also good. But I had a set of original parts that ended up cleaning up nicely. So that's whats on. (rather use originals than reproductions)
Alfa Romeo trunk script. Bought this years ago. Turns out the original "Romeo" has three studs. The repo has two (and in different locations). I'll get the originals re-chromed.
Hard Top Chrome (mounts between the trunk lid and the convertible top). Wrong shape. I'll get my originals re-chromed.
The Door Buffers and Door Buffer gaskets were the wrong material and mis-shapen. So, I cleaned up what I had and they're actually quite nice.
Outside Mirror from Classic Alfa was good. So, that's on.
Tail Light Housings, also from Classic Alfa. Don't fit well, but unless I can find originals, they'll do.
Licence Plate Lights and Reverse Light from Classic Alfa - somewhat useable. I salvaged parts from original assemblies and will make these repo parts work.
Inside Rearview Mirror and Sun Visors from Classic Alfa. I'm not sure I'll use these, but I'm not ready to assemble the interior. So I'll defer that decision until later.
Rubber Mat set from Cicognani. Very good rubber set, but the door sills and interior piece that goes from side to side behind the seats are different than the originals. So, I'll use my originals in those locations.

Then, there's the headlight covers. So much junk. The set from Classic Alfa and Centerline wouldn't fit on anyone's car.
I have a pair of covers that were bought at an Alfa dealership that are 40+ years old. Both are lightly scratched, but will clean up. But the Driver's side has both tabs broken off.
I have one more set coming from Re-Originals that they claim is made in Italy on the original dies. If those are thin and mis-shapen like the 2 sets of reproductions that I already have, then I'll try using my old ones.

I did throw some flat black paint on the areas that the factory had painted.
It looked like the original paint was rapidly brushed on. So I did the same (reminded me of throwing paint on a Rhodie FAL that I restored a few years ago)
Attached Images

PSk, Vivace, SOROKOS and 1 others like this.

Last edited by velocewhippet; 03-13-2018 at 05:33 AM.
post #68 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I understand why Alfa changed the hood prop on later cars. This style is a pain to install. But now I can hold the hood open

Comparison photo of mine to a unrestored hood prop.
Attached Images

ossodiseppia and SOROKOS like this.
post #69 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 08:32 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Not much progress to report on with my car. Too many projects around the house. But with the weather getting nicer, I don't there's much that can keep me out of the garage.

What I have been working on has kept me struggling with the quality/accuracy of reproduction parts.

The lollypop reflectors from Alfaholics were good. They're on.
The Door Strikers (also from Alfaholics) were also good. But I had a set of original parts that ended up cleaning up nicely. So that's whats on. (rather use originals than reproductions)
Alfa Romeo trunk script. Bought this years ago. Turns out the original "Romeo" has three studs. The repo has two (and in different locations). I'll get the originals re-chromed.
Hard Top Chrome (mounts between the trunk lid and the convertible top). Wrong shape. I'll get my originals re-chromed.
The Door Buffers and Door Buffer gaskets were the wrong material and mis-shapen. So, I cleaned up what I had and they're actually quite nice.
Outside Mirror from Classic Alfa was good. So, that's on.
Tail Light Housings, also from Classic Alfa. Don't fit well, but unless I can find originals, they'll do.
Licence Plate Lights and Reverse Light from Classic Alfa - somewhat useable. I salvaged parts from original assemblies and will make these repo parts work.
Inside Rearview Mirror and Sun Visors from Classic Alfa. I'm not sure I'll use these, but I'm not ready to assemble the interior. So I'll defer that decision until later.
Rubber Mat set from Cicognani. Very good rubber set, but the door sills and interior piece that goes from side to side behind the seats are different than the originals. So, I'll use my originals in those locations.

Then, there's the headlight covers. So much junk. The set from Classic Alfa and Centerline wouldn't fit on anyone's car.
I have a pair of covers that were bought at an Alfa dealership that are 40+ years old. Both are lightly scratched, but will clean up. But the Driver's side has both tabs broken off.
I have one more set coming from Re-Originals that they claim is made in Italy on the original dies. If those are thin and mis-shapen like the 2 sets of reproductions that I already have, then I'll try using my old ones.

I did throw some flat black paint on the areas that the factory had painted.
It looked like the original paint was rapidly brushed on. So I did the same (reminded me of throwing paint on a Rhodie FAL that I restored a few years ago)
Great detail work, Jeff. Not too many folks remember to apply the black paint.

As for the headlamp covers....I bought three sets from a couple of dealerships in the past. I also got a pair on Ebay a number of months ago. So, 4 sets of covers and not a single one fit the same. Why? Because they were stacked on top of each other and deformed. Some were too wide and some too narrow. So, my painter, took the ones that were too narrow and cut a piece of wood to push them out to the proper width. He placed the covers with wood under a heat lamp for a few minutes and now they fit.
PSk and SOROKOS like this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #70 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 PM

Garage
Hi !! I would ask you, the whole foto Measurements of Bottom View.
If you can and if you have time, mail me this foto to : [email protected]
THANK YOU VERY-VERY MUCH !

Sorokos.
post #71 of 150 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
I understand why Alfa changed the hood prop on later cars. This style is a pain to install. But now I can hold the hood open
Yeah, wow, how did you wind that spring up?!

Also, great rear floor detail pics - thanks!

1967 1600 Spider
post #72 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My notes are incomplete

My notes are incomplete and I don't remember what was used to secure the trunk release cable.

I thought this cable anchor was used for the hand throttle, but maybe it secures the trunk cable?

Unfortunately, the Illustrated Spare Parts Catalog is equally vague.

Can someone please look at their car and tell me (or take a picture of) what's appropriate?

Thanks, Jeff
Attached Images

post #73 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:58 PM
I believe you loop the end through the cable stay first, then thru the latch mechanism arm and then back thru the stay. Once you have the release handle mounted tighten the loop as much as you can. Then do a final tightening with the "bolt" that the cable goes thru.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #74 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Got some shiny bits today

I had some parts re-chromed. It took several weeks, but I sure like the results.

My enthusiasm might be a little tempered next week when I find out how much it cost.
Attached Images

SOROKOS likes this.
post #75 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Here's a couple photos of original parts (on the left) and reproductions (on the right)
Attached Images

SOROKOS likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode