67 Duetto 663438 Restoration - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 PM

Garage
Those look very good! How did you treat the steel pans?

1967 1600 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:32 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Wow, nice work!

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #138 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:12 AM

Very nice well done ! One question, were the seat rails originally black? or silver plated?

Thanks, Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Those look very good! How did you treat the steel pans?
The frames were painted with an automotive primer, then satin black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphers View Post
Very nice well done ! One question, were the seat rails originally black? or silver plated?
The rails we're all black. They didn't look they they were originally anything different.

Everything looked to be originally painted black except for the hinges. The 68's seat hinges were a dark silver that looked like the "hammer finished" stuff that Rustoleum sells.
Turned out, after looking closely at the 67's seats, those hinges were also originally silver.

Here's the seat bottoms of a couple of the seats - 67 seat (with rusted thru pan), 68 seat (with manufacturing date ink stamp), the silver hinge on a 68 seat (prior to refinishing)
Attached Images

post #140 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:25 PM

I had to look at a lot of photos but I enjoyed it. Great job!

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
post #141 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Dunlop Rear Brakes

I had a little extra time this past week to work on the car. My wife was off visiting her sister in Alaska, so I actually had quite a bit of extra time to spend in the garage.

So, I decided to tackle the job of re-assembling the Dunlop rear brakes. I had kinda dreaded doing this since there are so many parts. But I had my photos from before I took them apart and since they were already cleaned up and ready to re-assemble, my only difficulty was going to be having parts left over when I thought I was done.

Originally, these parts were supposably zinc plated. Didn't do that, so now they're zinc-painted. I used the rattle can stuff from Eastwood called Clear Zinc.

I can see from these photos, I've put one of the pins in from the wrong side. So, I've got to go back and fix that.

That, and I've got to bend the new hard brake lines and replace those rusty springs. Thankfully, those springs are available from AlfaStop. That's where I purchased all of my Dunlop parts.
Attached Images

post #142 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Very nice job on the Dunlops! Despite the Rube Goldberg-esq design they’re really not to bad to maintain, and fortunately they work just fine. Of course spares are significantly more expensive than spares for the Ates, but at least they’re available. Good luck with the rest of your project!

1966 Duetto 1600
post #143 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocewhippet View Post
I've got to bend the new hard brake lines and replace those rusty springs. Thankfully, those springs are available from AlfaStop.
And where did you source the new hard brake lines?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #144 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Tony at AlfaStop sent me 2 pieces that I’ve unrolled and started bending into the shape of the original ones.
post #145 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Looks good! Keep up the great work. I painted my 69 ate calipers with a ceramic rattle can paint, and it looks good and it should last... good luck
post #146 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:08 PM

They are a work of art, aren’t they?
Interesting that it was cheaper to make all these bits back then, including the cylinders, than to do hydraulic callipers.
post #147 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Weight on Wheels!

After 4 days of automotive excess at Monterey, my eldest son and I were motivated to make some progress on the Duetto.

1) Fabricated a couple missing mounting tabs for mounting one of the asbestos heat shields for the exhaust.
Part of the frame rails that came off of s/n 437 didn't have the tabs.
Made the pieces and welded them on.

2) Completed the assembly of the front suspension.

3) Moved the Chassis Dolly out from under the car, and...

4) Its sitting on its own tires tonight.
Attached Images

LaurandSteve likes this.
post #148 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:23 PM

Great to meet you at Concorso. Your work looks great! At the rate your going, I would expect to see you there next year. I love following your build and cant wait to see it in person.

David

1967 Duetto just like the one I had in college....a long time ago.
1965 Mustang fastback, dart 427 with Weber 8-stack, 5sp
post #149 of 149 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
WOW, that's a event. Congratulations and job well done.

Brian __________________________________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode