84 Spider paint match for AR514 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

84 Spider paint match for AR514

Hey everyone,

Has anyone out there found a really good match for the orange/red colour found on 84 Alfa Spiders? I believe that it might be either AR514 or AR504. Need to paint a hood, and having a very difficult time finding a good match.

Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Most auto paint supply stores have a color matching machine. Clean & polish a section of the car that has paint in good condition and they should be able to match it up. If you want to find an unfaded sample, try lifting the carpet in the trunk. But remember that with a 30 year old car the paint will have faded - the horizontal surfaces more than the vertical sections. So if you were painting say the hood and a door you might need two slightly different formulas.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Eric,

I did take the hood in for a scan, and the test match sample created was terrible (this was with a scan that came up a 6, which apparently is good). I'm 90% sure that the colour is AR514 Farina Red, and all of the corresponding matches come up as a water base paint (PPG 72051 or Dupont 8770 as examples), but when I restored the car (25 years ago) it was not done in a waterbed paint.

Even if I can get the paint colour to match, will the hood colour really be able to be matched if painted in a different product?

Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:49 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
I'm not a professional painter but I've painted a few cars. I wonder if your paint matcher was experienced in using the device. I had a door replaced on my pick up. The match I got looks perfect to me. I painted a top box for a motorcycle (since sold) and again the match was perfect.

As to whether they can match paints of such different types I do not know. Are you doing the painting or having a shop do it? If the latter, I'd leave it to the shop to find a good match in whatever type paint they prefer to use.

And if you do find a good match, please let us know. I'd like to get our '84 Spider painted, too.
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

Last edited by ghnl; 03-24-2017 at 01:51 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:45 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Doug,
I agree with Eric that reds fade a lot over time, and 25 years is a long time. I don't paint much these days, but there was a time when I did. Start with something close and then tint it and do several spray outs on a decent size piece of metal. You will most likely have to paint the front of the car and blend into the fenders and nose piece to achieve something decent. I'd also stick with a traditional acrylic urethane, not water based paint for the best match.

BTW Eric, take a look at PPG 71844 when you are ready to paint your Spider. It is a perfect match to the factory '69 Spider red and has a bit more life than AR514.

Good luck,

Mike Macaulay
Seattle

69 Spider
69 GTV
74 GTV
84 Spider Veloce
18 4C Spider
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintgtc View Post
BTW Eric, take a look at PPG 71844 when you are ready to paint your Spider. It is a perfect match to the factory '69 Spider red and has a bit more life than AR514.
Thanks. I'm not sure what the original color of our Spider is (was). It is a bit too orangey for me. I'll be looking for something a little redder - as soon an I get a Roun Tuit.

Drifting off topic, I had my painter mix up some "Chariot Red" for my MGA. After it was all done I discovered that Rustoleum Regal Red is so close I can use it to touch up nicks & chips (I vintage race the MGA). I could have save a lot of money & done a Rustoleum paint job...
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode