Rack or rotisserie - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Rack or rotisserie

Hello

I am getting ready to restore another car, and this one is going to require a fair bit of welding. I am trying to figure out if it would be better to put it on a rotisserie or a rack. The rotisserie seems to be the sexy way of doing things as cars are advertised as being a "Rotisserie restoration" and I will admit that it would make welding on the underside easier, But I have looked at a couple of shops on the web, ie Alfaholics, AIS in Texas and it seems that a lot of there cars are done on these roll around racks. I think with the rack I can stabilize the car better and hold it better in position when I cut out sections to be welded.

But what says ye, am I missing something and what is the preferred method.

Thanks
Kevin

KL Harper
Mebane, NC yes another one from Mebane and it is not that big of a town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thumbs up

Kevin,

You've been a BB member for more than a dozen years, so you're well aware that there are host of opinions and preferences on this subject.

Some BBers decry rotisseries for Spiders, some prefer the hoop-style format and others love the carts. It may be a matter of which car you're dealing with and how much space you have available.

I was going to buy a typical rotisserie to use in the restoration of my '64 Giulia Spider, but Bill Gillham put the fear of God in me about that idea.

The Greig Smith-style hoop set up works great, but I didn't have the space for it in my garage.

Lionel Valez may use carts, exclusively, but don't quote me on that.

My Spider has been on a cart for several months as you can see from my avitar.

I imagine some of the genuine experts, and I mean that with all sincerity, will offer great advice that will serve you well.

Jump right in and post those photos!

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 02-24-2017 at 10:30 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:52 AM

Garage
Tilter....

Resto's are hard enough so try and keep it as simple as possible with a tilter.....Bud's (aka Little Italian) thread below:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-...is-tilter.html

PS. K.I.S.S. Rules (Keep It Simple Stupid)

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
I was going to buy a typical rotisserie to use in the restoration of my '64 Giulia Spider, but Bill Gillham put the fear of God in me about that idea.
What was Bill's objection to a rotisserie, and why would a hoop-style system be better?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Jay,

I wouldn't want to put words in Bill's mouth, but I think he felt that it would be difficult to keep a Spider from bowing when suspended on a traditional rotisserie. I'm certain that he had seen cars with the welded-in braces which were intended to prevent the very thing Bill was convinced would happen.

He said the cars were built on a cart and could be rebuilt on one.

Most of the restorations I seen done on a rotisserie were coupes or sedans which were lots more rigid and reinforced than a unibody Spider.

I really like the idea of a tilter or a hoop design as it would get the car up on it's side making any undercarriage work a lot easier for someone like me who has some nasty arthritis and a bulging disc.

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:47 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
I wouldn't want to put words in Bill's mouth, but I think he felt that it would be difficult to keep a Spider from bowing when suspended on a traditional rotisserie.
I have tremendous respect for Bill Gillham, and wouldn't question his advice. Still, it seems odd that an unrusted/uncracked spider unibody would flex that much just from gravity; I'd think the intertial loads when driving on a rough road would exceed 1 G. But yes, I could believe that a rusted/cracked spider body would distort while inverted.

Quote:
I really like the idea of a tilter or a hoop design as it would get the car up on it's side making any undercarriage work a lot easier for someone like me who has some nasty arthritis and a bulging disc.
So your definition of a tilter or a hoop is something that turns the body on its side, but not upside-down. And the unibody should be stiffer in that plane.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 05:36 PM

I used a rack to restore Giulietta cars.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 05:33 PM
My vote is for a hoop rotisserie. We pick up the suspension points in the rear and the steering/idler arm attachment points up front. Very stable and no question, makes any work on the shell a snap. Designed to be used with either Spiders or GTVs - will probably work on Supers but haven't yet tried it. PM me you'd like a set of drawings.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:27 AM

Question

Hello gprocket,

may I ask for the drawings of Your really nice rotisserie? I'm quite new to this Forum, so I'm not allowed to write PMs at the moment. My mail: n.boesendorfer AT googlemail.com Thanks in favor!

Best regards
Nicolas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode