Dip Stripping and E-coating. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Dip Stripping and E-coating.

You rustaphobes out there might find this interesting. I just had a driver's door chemically stripped and e-coated. They first bake the part for about 6 hours at 650 degrees F to bake off all dirt, rust, paint, etc. Then they dip the part in a chemical bath to strip off all remaining traces of rust and paint in every little nook and cranny. Then the part goes into a neutralizer bath to eliminate the chemical stripper. Then the part is phosphated and e-coated. E-coating is an electrically charged primer bath where the electrical charge attracts the primer into every little nook and cranny. E-coating is what the new car manufacturers have used for many years now. For a hobby car with limited exposure to Mother Nature, this process should prevent rust forever.

Here's a before picture. This was a very solid door with some surface rust around the hem flanges and other hard-to-reach areas.
Attached Images

Bill / 1977 Alfa Romeo 4C2000 / 2012 BMW S1000RR / 1975 BMW R90/6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Here's the door after stripping and e-coating.
Attached Images

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

A closer view.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Looks great, Bill!

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 07:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
E-coating is what the new car manufacturers have used for many years now.
Yes, and they do that because it's cheaper, not necessarily better.

Several body shops I talked to swear that you have to strip e-coated repair panels and prime them properly because they had cases where the e-coat delaminated from the metal and they had to redo the work under warranty. Note that it was not the primer or paint that delaminated from the e-coat, but the e-coat sheathing off the metal. They came to believe that e-coat is only for superficial rust protection during storage. An unanswered question is if the time between e-coating and applying final paint may have something to do with these results (e.g. chemical changes in molecules that are exposed to air, or the removal of the electrical charge having an effect as if the charge was reversed).

In summary, just be aware that e-coat may give reasonable rust protection because the metal is hopefully completely encapsulated, but be aware that it may result in paint defects.

Good luck,

Ruedi
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

I'm no expert here, however, at the risk of turning this into a "the paint peeled off my Chrysler minivan because of e-coat" thread, I'll throw in some more info....

E-coating is a dipping process that uses primer paint to coat the metal. The primer used in the e-coating process has an inherent weakness -- it is not UV stable. Because of this, it is important to apply a UV stable primer on top of the e-coated panel before applying a top coat. If any of you are familiar with the peeling paint problems from certain US products of the 80's and early 90's, much of this was due to the automakers not applying this second coat of primer. The top coat did not filter the UV rays, allowing the ecoat to be exposed. The e-coat would degrade, allowing the top coat to peel.

Consequently, if a repair panel has been ecoated and then stored for a long period of time where it is exposed to UV (sunlight), the e-coat may have started to degrade.

Other potential problems with e-coat are the same as with any primer system. The part needs to be clean and free of contaminates, such as the oils used in the stamping process, before ecoating. Also, all the products used to paint a car need to be compatible with one another (mixing enamel and lacquer products would be a disaster, as a simple example).

I'm not trying to sell this stuff -- just following the paths of others who have had success with it on their cars.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 09:30 AM

Good post with good information Bill.

91 164S
83 GTV-6
71 Spider
67 Guilia super (race car project)
66 Guilia ti
60 spider
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Alfajim -- thanks. Did you recognize the door?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:08 PM

and the siding

91 164S
83 GTV-6
71 Spider
67 Guilia super (race car project)
66 Guilia ti
60 spider
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:09 AM

Bill,
Very nice looking results on that door. Im sure that any painting process can be fouled up by not following manufacturing recommendations of the suppliers.
That said, if done right, this ecoat looks to be a great process.

Could you tell me where do you get this done, and at what price? Could they dip and entire car body?

1971 GTV ongoing "restoration" project (Rice Conversion)
1978 Spider sold in 1996
1962 Guilietta Spider sold looong ago
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

The place that did my door is in Romulus, Michigan. They're called International Paint Stripping and can be reached at 734-942-0500. I think you could do an internet search and find other places around the country that do this. Try searching under paint stripping, chemical stripping, ecoat, etc. The first place I called only did commercial work, but they steered me towards Int'l.

Int'l Paint Stripping can do an entire car body. I saw a first generation Riviera body that had been done. It came out clean as a whistle, although every finished joint on the body will have to be refilled. The quarter panel joints to the roof and rear valence were exposed on the Riviera.

This process isn't cheap ($2500 for an entire body shell), but should keep away the tin worm for a long, long time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode