1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Restoration Begins - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so after finding some lights for the rear end, (yeah maybe I am not ready for lights, but they were a good deal (in my opinion anyway)) I continued with more metal work.
The great news, is that even though this is the first time I have taken metal away from metal (drilling spot welds and using a chisel to separate the metal.) I am now down to about 1.5 hours to remove a rocker sill compared to 5-7 hours for the first rocker panel / outer sill that I removed on the passenger side.

It's all relative progress right!
Almost off, just need a new bit for the spot welds up on the 'top' of the sill (the part you step over as you get into the car).

Enjoy the photo's (and you can always see the complete set of all photo's on flickr if you are are looking for visual guidance on your own restoration)

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Sill removal drivers side by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Sill removal drivers side by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Shot of the interior (looks so black there could have been a fire or something!)

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dashboard and Interior as-purchased by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Wiring as it stands today from a visual inspection stand point anyway.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dashboard and Interior as-purchased by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

The lights I found (who can resist some shopping while you are 1/4 inch of rust is coating your skin?!)

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Tail Lights to be adapted - sourced from 1965-69 GTV by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Tail Lights to be adapted - sourced from 1965-69 GTV by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr
horsewidower likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Holy shmoly! Keep going and don't look back now! The taillights you show are those used on a 69 US model GTV....RED/RED...the Euro models had YELLOW/RED....which depending on your objectives, may or may not be a consideration. Yours must be a Euro model I gather?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1750GT View Post
Holy shmoly! Keep going and don't look back now! The taillights you show are those used on a 69 US model GTV....RED/RED...the Euro models had YELLOW/RED....which depending on your objectives, may or may not be a consideration. Yours must be a Euro model I gather?
It is not a euro, however, I love the style of the smaller lights, so I saw these and couldn't stop myself (even though I have the USA style skin). Unsure if I will replace the skin, but we'll see, as the curve on the skin is pretty complex!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Drivers Side Sill Removal

More metal work...
Drivers Side sill removal. I reduced the time about to about 1/2 the time compared to the passenger side outer sill removal. Sadly, the driver side middle sill is not in the shape I thought it might be. There is one significant portion that will need to be patched, but I am not going to replace the entire sill, as it is really not in bad shape, just this one repair section will need to go in to ensure it is structural in good shape after the blasting.

Here we are with the photo's.
As always, there are more in the Flickr Album.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - sill replacement by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Onto more stripping of the interior (headliner, ceiling 'grab handles', and other bits). I am unsure if the entire dash will come out or not, it's such a mess, I may not honestly 'loose' any time by just taking it out. We'll see.

I need to cut away some of all four floors, but probably waiting until I get my replacement panels or steel before I decide to start cutting out the old.

The big news is that the car will not be restored to alfa road concourse standards. It will be repaired, to make a fast-driver, almost all chrome (except mirrors) will be left off the car, and the GTAm Street Replica (read euro-rebuilt with more compression Twin-Spark engine) with probably Bosche injection (to start) will be fitted to keep character but add speed. That's where I am at anyway.

Last edited by IanB; 08-11-2015 at 08:48 AM.
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:34 AM

The chrome is the best part of these older cars. The PO of my GTV painted a number of chrome parts black and I have slowly been replacing them with correct reproduction pieces.
post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinhead View Post
The chrome is the best part of these older cars.
+1
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

So, although I haven't had more body work update (3rd child arrives tomorrow) I have sourced a TS engine that will soon be on it's way to the states.
Very excited about securing (what I think) to be a great engine for the car.

I plan to continue to run the injection, and the engine as-is for now. Maybe after I get the car into full running shape, I can go crazy on the motor in the future.

This week (even though I'll be on baby duty) I plan to get the dash out.
You can see in this picture, I have removed some REALLY crazy 1980's style radio wiring that was in the car. It was rat-nested into the wiring loom and had just crazy fuses everywhere.
I removed a LOT of this junk wiring and now things look FAR FAR more reasonable.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Dash Removal by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Un-earthing the first bolt for the dash through the de-frosting vent in the center of the dash.
You need to remove the vent to expose the bolt. More dash removal later this week.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Dash Removal by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Red face

Ok, so some fast-forward here.
Not a professional restoration!

Anyway, after the disclaimer (which means keep your professional techniques to yourself and don't overly criticize!)

Here is the Dash Out.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dash Removal by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dash Removal by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

And after some more clean-up (like moving the wiring harness out of the engine bay) I find I am close to blasting. Maybe another 10 hours or even 100 could have been spent getting it better, but I just threw in the towel a little and got it blasted.

Before

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dustless Blasting Media Blasting by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dustless Blasting Media Blasting by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

Rust starts to disappear, but wow, this dustless blasting, works sloowwww these guys busted thier *** for 5 hours on the car, and it probably could have used another 5 hours if I had stripped the entire car and put it on a rotisserie, as it is we have the rolling restoration going.

a little movie...

After blasting what you get....a bit rough!

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV Dustless Blasting by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

But no rust!!

Now onto the etch primer (which it may have been a debate about what to use here, but I went with etch) If anyone has advice on what body filler can be used over standox etch primer.

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Etch Primer - Standox 2k Etch Primer by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Etch Primer - Standox 2k Etch Primer by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

And that's enough from me for another few weeks.
Next steps are body shaping where bad, panel fitting (I have GTAM panels in fiberglass to bond to the body) and then filling, fitting, and filling, and welding, and on and on....

The real thing is to not have the car rusting away anymore (to such an extensive degree anyway!)
post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Subscribed!
Looks like a great project and you have the right attitude. Any good quality filler will work fine with your primer.

I would recommend pulling your steering box and brake assembly. It's simple to do now, a pain to do later. Check out the Burman box sticky in the suspension section.

Where did you get your gtam fenders from? They can be tricky to fit (at least for me) and requires a fair amount of work to make them presentable. You may want to reinforce the rear clip to prevent over stressing the fiberglass. Easy for you to do since you have the wings removed. Are you attaching them with rivets?

Name:  IMAG0581.jpg
Views: 3727
Size:  34.7 KB
As for the dash, I would recommend the fiberglass 1750 unit sold by Classic Alfa and others. Direct fit and half the cost of reskinning the factory dash.

Name:  IMAG2281.jpg
Views: 2764
Size:  46.7 KB

Good work thus far - keep it up!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

Last edited by gprocket; 09-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
WOW!!!!, what a transformation.

Can you please explain how dustless blasting works? Most impressive.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
WOW!!!!, what a transformation.

Can you please explain how dustless blasting works? Most impressive.
Pete
Youtube does a better job than I, but best I can say is that it's like sandblasting, but it is FAR less abrasive, and doesn't scratch the steel as sand would, it sort of just takes the paint off, and leaves the steel behind.

post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Subscribed!
Check out the Burman box sticky in the suspension section.

Where did you get your gtam fenders from?
Are you attaching them with rivets?

Good work thus far - keep it up!
1. Will checkout the Burman Box thread, as NOW would be the time to take a look for sure!

2. Fenders are fiberglass for mine, and came with the car. I am planning to attach them with a form of panel bond (glue) and smoothing the seems with a very flexible poly/filler to try to minize cracking/crazing when I goto paint.

Thanks for the encouragement! Not sure I have the money for a full new dash on this first rolling restoration, but I do have a twin spark motor coming from the UK, so THAT will be probably more fun than my wallet can handle!
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Dismantling the heater box

Heater box was torn down...nothing is back together, but it feels like progress...

First time apart...(EVER??)
1973 Alfa Romeo GTV - Heater box / assembly by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr

More crud....

A vacuum helped clean it up a little bit here...

Inspiration to keep going??? Hahahah...

776099b - Inspiration by IsaaksofSalem, on Flickr
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yuck.

I know I need to do the same with mine, but it's not on my favorites list. And with mine, the interior is in pretty excellent shape. But, after 27 years, I know it needs to be torn down and gone through.

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
2. Fenders are fiberglass for mine, and came with the car. I am planning to attach them with a form of panel bond (glue) and smoothing the seems with a very flexible poly/filler to try to minize cracking/crazing when I goto paint...
We used 3M panel bonding adhesive. The holes were drilled, the adhesive applied and the fenders attached with Clecos. After it set we installed the rivets. That way we eliminated the potential waviness from uneven rivet squeeze.

The trick for you will be to get a good tight bond without clamping. You could drill holes, clamp and then fill the holes. Or rivet and then grind the heads off.

I considered going the smooth route but in the end I was worried that any body flex at all would result in cracks - especially if you are going to fill and fair to a knife edge. I had a wide body kit on a MB in the eighties - looked great until the filler cracked. And that was about as stiff a body as you'll find.

Keep us posted on the project!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

Tags
gtv, repair, restoration, rust, sill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode