Euro style front sidelights on an S2 Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Euro style front sidelights on an S2 Spider

Hi All,

My '71 Spider is going in for restoration bodywork and paint, and like so many others, I'm tentatively planning to go the "Euro-look" route. I have purchased the small, round, amber sidelights (Carello) from Classic Alfa. These current lights fit into the body with a single round hole, and are held in place with 3 plastic fingers that snap into place after passing through the hole.

It was my impression that the original lights had the round hole for the wiring, but were secured with two small screws passing through additional holes in the fender. Am I right on this? It's also my impression that originals are unobtainium.

For those out there who have already been down this road, what did you use for these lights?

/Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The snap fingers did not last long on mine. They are now held in with RTV. The body shop did mine when the car was painted. I think that they welded a patch over the old holes and drilled a hole in it for the new light.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks, Ed. Never thought about it, but the RTV should not only secure the light, but also reduce any vibration and shaking, thereby making the fingers last longer also.

/Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

My memory is not so good - I am an old fart, but is there not an indentation in the fender for the rectangular turn signal? That has to be filled in if you want the Euro look.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Nice looking car I hope mine looks as good as yours when I'm done!

1974 Spider-Full Restoration in Progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 Ferrari 328 GTS Argento/Nero(SOLD)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Well, Ed, you're probably not much older than me, and I'm pretty sure your memory is no worse than mine! You're right of course, the rectangular hole must be filled in. All part of pre-paint body work.

/Gene
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Make sure the body shop fabs filler panels that are butt welded not overlapped and bondo'd.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode