How much trouble am I in?? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

How much trouble am I in??

Hello, I posted about a month ago regarding a 67 duetto that my father-in-law gifted me before he passed away. This car has sentimental value, which sometimes can't be quantified. Anyway, I finally had the car shipped to me on Wednesday. I knew there was rust, but didn't know the extent. I have removed the seats and its pretty bad. I'd love any thoughts about repair costs. I know it will vary widely, but if you can offer a range.
I don't have the skills to do this on my own.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 07:05 AM

Garage
Early 1600 ?

What other rust can you see
Is the paint original or a re spray (hiding more rust)
Is it complete
Is it the original engine
Does/did it run

The good news is the reproduction parts/panels that you need (4x floors minimum) are relatively cheap, a good fit and easy to source. It will likely need attention to the sills (rockers) too

The construction (spot welds) is fairly simple when you understand how it goes together. Easy to deconstruct and repair.

I suggest you buy a TIG/MIG, angle grinder and spot weld drill bits and jump right in.

Outsourcing good metal work will be very expensive. You may not have the skills now, but they're easy to perfect

Work from the floors up, ie. transmission tunnel out and up.

Replace panels as whole factory pieces, it works out cheaper (time and capital) than patching in the long run.

Be realistic with your project timeline (years)

There's nothing complicated here, but it is a big job. Rewarding and far simpler if done correctly.

Last edited by Craig_m67; 11-15-2014 at 07:14 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'd say that's cosmetic damage for a Duetto. Many I'm sure way worse than that were ressurected.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.

It is the original motor and is complete. It did run. He parked it maybe 25 years ago after a blown head gasket.

It appears that there was a re-spray, but that was more than 25 years ago.
I suspect the respray because there is flaking of a layer in/around the trunk sill.

It appears there is surface rust only on lower body panels.

I'd like to jack the car up and have a look underneath, but am afraid that I might punch holes.
Can I jack from the rear differential and the front suspension components that support the springs? That way I can put it on Dolly's and crawl underneath.

Thanks,

Ryan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Yes you can jack it from the differential- place a square of sturdy rubber or a soft thin square of pine wood between the differential and the jack to protect that finned aluminum casting. No problem at all lifting it from the front suspension.
Let me echo Craig M67's advice. You do have the ability to learn to weld and replace that metal- the cost of buying the tools and materials you need is much less expensive than paying a restoration shop to do this, it won't take any less time, even with you learning as you go, and when you are done you will have tools, experience, and the satisfaction of doing much of this yourself. The larger question is do you have the time, work space, motivation, and most important, spousal support to do a restoration? This is much more than just metal work you are facing. Nearly every nut bolt and screw must come off, and that alone is a major challenge at times. Almost everything that has moving parts will need disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, repaired, repainted, and reassembled. I mean even the rear view mirror. If you're up for all of that, then by all means, ask Santa for a good set of metric tools, buy a couple pairs of coveralls and automotive work gloves, find your local Harbor Freight store, and go make your dad proud.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-...ere-we-go.html

Jim

Last edited by La Voce; 11-15-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added link
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I am going to buy a MIG welder and source some new pans as well as any other areas that need repairs.
I will continue to use this as my restoration thread. Tonight I removed the old top and inner top skirt. My plan is to bring it down remove all interior bits and have it ready to weld.

The above advice said start at the center and work out and up. Since I don't have a rotisserie to see the full depth of the rust underneath, is it still wise to move from the center near the drive shaft tunnel and move out and up? Then clean up the rust underneath?

I'll post some photos tomorrow to show the progress.

Any advice on how to strengthen the weakened frame would be helpful.

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:12 PM

Garage
You need to be able to get under the car (or put it on it's side) to cut, adjust form and weld in the replacement panels. Start with the floors. I say start at the transmission tunnel and work your way up as the floors connect here. Do one side at a time.

Happy to help but we will need some clear hi res pics of key areas. My own Duetto is currently in a rotisserie sans floors so if you want pics before you start cutting, let me know. (I'm out of motivation currently)

Check the outer sills (rockers) for any bubbling along their entire length (there will be). The sills have three structural components; outer, middle and inner. They provide the majority of the structural strength of the car, don't cut them without bracing!

Check the inner sill from underneath where the floors and jack points connect, any obvious rust

The Rear wheel arches rust
The Rear parcel shelf behind rear seats is a box section and always rusts
The Trunk (inside and out)

Knowing how something is put together really helps when you try to deconstruct it. Vintage Customs (Daron Walker) has a series of three NY Duetto spider restoration videos on youtube (amongst many valuable others). I caught them last night. I think they will be invaluable to you as they will show you a typical spider restoration, how the car was deconstructed and what to typically expect.

New York Duetto 1 - YouTube

New York Spider 2 - YouTube

New York spider 3 - YouTube

Last edited by Craig_m67; 11-17-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode