GTV: Tips on installing new headliner? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

GTV: Tips on installing new headliner?

I finally got my headliner today. It was backordered and seriously slowing down the completion of my car so I'm pretty excited it finally arrived. I searched the AlfaBB and read Classic Motorsports GTV project on headliner installation but I'm still a little fuzzy. Anyone have some good tips? Thanks again, Greg

73 Berlina: Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
73 GTV: SOLD 1976 Alfetta GT: Sold

Last edited by GregTV; 07-25-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Greg: I'm planning as headliner installation GTV '74. Have purchased Centerlinre kit. Please say if you completed the job described above and if you'll give me some tips. The techs at Centerline say it's pretty straight forward. I'm ready to pull the windowns (front/back) and to remove aluminum ceiling strips (each side) . . . nothing else to remove afterwards. The new headliners is held in place by simple batten assembly, with installation pretty straightforward, right?? Bob Hennessy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM

How did you mount the headliner to the ring where the recess is in the back seat?

69 GTV - current project
71 GTV - deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM

Hey all - wondering how your headliner installs went? I just bought a car with the front and rear windshields out and wondering if I can handle the headliner install myself. Any tips to share?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve69 View Post
How did you mount the headliner to the ring where the recess is in the back seat?
Did anyone answer your question? I am trying to put in a new headliner and the rear ring installation is confusing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 PM

would be happy to walk you thru it . . . give me a phone number
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

I just went through this installation process on my '74. All I have to say on this subject is that it's a lot of finicky work and be sure to have the roof liner aligned correctly. It really has to be almost perfectly square with the rest of the roof so you don't get any bunching up like I did. Mine's not too bad because I took the time to get it (almost) right...

Check out my thread "rusty GTV floorboards" page 31 to see what you need to get started.

Good luck!

Dave
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Cool thanks I'll check that out.

At this point, my restoration is a SUPER long haul kind of affair, and I'm resolved to do each task correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydog View Post
I just went through this installation process on my '74. All I have to say on this subject is that it's a lot of finicky work and be sure to have the roof liner aligned correctly. It really has to be almost perfectly square with the rest of the roof so you don't get any bunching up like I did. Mine's not too bad because I took the time to get it (almost) right...

Check out my thread "rusty GTV floorboards" page 31 to see what you need to get started.

Good luck!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Sometimes...

It's best to leave it to the professionals..

At least that's my opinion.

I do love to do everything myself, and I've built this car from scra(p)tch, but this was definately the best 225,00 I've spent this year.

And recouping the amount while working when it was fit makes it quite economical too..

Again, IMO.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to GoldCloverLeaf
I'm halfway through this process and yes, daveydogs thread is invaluable, just study the pictures and comments and that should give anyone enough confidence to tackle it themselves. Even if you mess it up, you could probably buy 5 headliner sets for the cost a pro would charge you for doing the work properly.

Also buy some wax and grease remover so if you get contact cement on the headliner you can easily clean it off, a Q-tip (cotton bud) dipped in this works well and will not stain the fabric.

For the Road: '67 Giulia Super, '85 GTV6
For the Off Road: '85 Unimog U1700L, '01 Defender Td5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode