Bob's Barn Alfa - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The big push got pushed back a day, work got in the way.

Dak gave me a list of parts that he thinks I need so I'll chase those today. I'll also get tires for the car. Nothing special, I just need something to be able to roll it around. This evening I'll zinc coat the exterior of the fuel tank and get it ready to go in.

There should be a flood of pictures beginning tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Hey as a pause for the cause will you post a pic of the horse that makes you a widower?

Jim
post #48 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

There are five, and a barn, plus a dressage arena, plus the boarded horses plus the students...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 PM

Garage
Yeah Jim. Horses are Alfas for girls. Always Looking For Another. Belinda maxxed out at three so she did better than me at controlling the accumulation of "projects".

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect

Last edited by AlfaVeloce; 11-23-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Now THAT was funny. Sorry you missed it.
post #50 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

Nice project, take heart whether it flys or drives the right seat is always 15mph faster than the drivers/pilot seat.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #51 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I'm going to do a bit thinking out loud here. The goal this weekend is to get the car back on its own wheels so it can be moved over to the other workshop. As well as gather up the parts and prepare for Dak to come over on Monday. I want to maximize the use of his knowledge and time on Monday and Tuesday. The goal is to have the car fired up and running by the time he leaves on Tuesday. Seems like a simple mission, but who knows what works, what doesn't and what 25 years of slumber has done to the car. I expect to do the rest of the brake and suspension work after Dak is gone.

So:

I have to get the rear suspension re-installed.
Change the lower control arm bushings
Change the bump stops and limit straps
Change the trunnion bushings.
Time available, finish R&R the brakes (this can wait until Dak leaves)
When my son shows up on Sunday, re-install the axle. (I had an accident about 18 months ago which broke my back)

Fuel:
Paint and reinstall the fuel tank
Replace the rubber fuel lines
Test the fuel pump
Replace the fuel filters
Replace the oil filter for the SPICA Pump?

Engine:
Change the oil and filter (7qts of 20-50!)
Change the plugs and check the cap and points (I might have done that back in 2004)
Pull the plugs and spray some WD-40 and MMO in the chambers, I want to make sure the rings are loose.
Hand turn the engine

Crap, almost forgot.

Clutch:
Replace the broken slave cylinder and the hydraulic supply hose.

Man, I better get up and get going.
post #52 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Sounds like a good start for a list . When you say trunnion bushings, do you mean just the ones at the axle? I would not bother changing the two front bushes on the bar that mount to the body unless they are visually bad.

Jim
post #53 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Bad day, good day yesterday.

Dak arrived and we started digging in. Fuel tank is installed, but had to bear the indignity of spilling 25 year old gas from the fuel lines all over me. Gag. GAG.

We decided to change all of the fuel lines, had a scare when we couldn't find the canister that the important fuel filter goes in, only to find it wedged in the crossmember. I ordered new motor and transmission mounts, and they arrived.

Dak got started working on timing the cams, injection pump and timing. After removing the radiator and hoses, we found the reason why the car was reportedly overheating. The water pump was completely choked with aluma seal. I mean, can't drive a punch through the crap type plugged.

So we were immediately faced with a problem. Luckily, Dak knows the proprietor of Alfa Parts Exchange, and his establishment is within a close distance to the house. So we went down there, got a pump, picked up a new (used) LCA, a lugnut, and the glove box lock that broke. A very good outing.

Scrapping the 40 year-old gasket off was a pain, but we got that done, we flushed out the engine block and installed the water pump.

Pictures later.
post #54 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
This raises the question of why was the aluma seal there? Did you or a previous owner encounter a leaking head gasket or radiator, and try to plug it from within? It's a hint of something yet to be discovered, I suspect.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #55 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

post #56 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I'm trying to figure out how to get the video off the phone and on here.

It took about 40 hours of combined effort to get it going. The shenanigans with the water pump really hurt us. That and the evidence of hamfisted previous mechanical work, numerous flat-out kludges had us thinking late Monday night that the engine was going to need to come out and need a rebuild.

But, Tuesday was a new day. We kept at the tasks necessary to get it started, replumbing the entire fuel system, cleaning out the fuel pump, replacing all the vacuum lines. Timing the cams, and the SPICA mechanical injection pumps etc. When we decided to give it a go, the battery **** out. So we grabbed another one, threw on the charger for good measure and the starter would just turn it over. The engine would cough and kick back, Dak didn't want to listen to a non-Alfisti when I told him that it was too far advanced. We pulled the plugs and found them badly fuel fouled. We cleaned up the plugs, heating them with a torch to burn off the mess. Finally it caught, and took off. Blowing 25 years of crap out the exhaust.

We threw a timing light on it, and it was substantially advanced. Dak pulled it back to the proper settings. Then he started playing with the MFI. It was wildly too rich. He got that into spec, and it settled into a nice idle. Unfortunately, that was at his "witching hour" and he had to jump into his truck and head home. He has several more fine tuning adjustments that he wants to do to the SPICA MFI, but that will have to wait.

I went out this morning, turned the key, and with just a bit of throttle cracked, it started right up. Man what a blast.
post #57 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Picture time.

Preparing the cylinders for firing.

The paint process with the fuel tank. Clean it, zinc it (I didn't like the appearance) and finish it.

I have since scratched the hell out of it trying to get it installed, so some remedial work will be necessary.
Attached Images

post #58 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Installing the axle:

The straps, bumpstops and hardware were in abysmal shape.

I'm sure things would go much faster if I didn't feel the compulsion to clean and paint the hardware.

Things look a lot better installed.
Attached Images

post #59 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Installed the axle, new tires and painted wheels, on the move to the workshop:
Attached Images

post #60 of 425 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

This is looking ugly

One very filthy, dirty, greasy, grimy engine bay.

One very ugly water pump.

At least the airbox cleaned up well.

Some bozo mechanic didn't have the correct sized tools. We found a number of large fasteners that had been spun off and on with a cold chisel. As was the engine bay located fuel canister. We had a bit of a scare with it. We couldn't find it at first, finally locating it wedged on the crossmember.
Attached Images

Tags
1974, 2000, gtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode