Body Filler and Lead: One Man's Opinions - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:00 PM

I still haven't found a definitive answer about the S4's being galvanized, but if you do use Bondo, the gold or platinum variety adheres to galvanized bodies. I was planning a full repaint after I retire but an unavoidable deer running down the middle of the road bumped my time frame up a bit. Luckily (??) it hit the driver side front fender right at the wheel arch. The wheel took most of the impact, creating a shimmy at 55 (probably knocked the wheel weights off), moved the orientation of the steering wheel a bit, and increased my negative camber by 1/2 degree since my last alignment. A trip to the alignment shop fixed everything except the camber. I have adjustable upper control arms ready to be put in. Another S4 paint issue is that you need to use flexible primer for the plastic bumper skins and add a flexibilizer to the bumper skin clear coat. I also used that primer on the mirrors and cowl grill and will be using it on the rocker panel covers. All of the fender damage was easily accessible from behind which made the repair a lot easier.

1987 Red Spider Veloce parts car
Kubota Tractor

Last edited by BobHalfa; 11-05-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 10:20 AM

I'm going with the body being galvanized. I was able to work the dents out to where there is was less than 1/16" of filler required. I left a few small spots of bare metal exposed on purpose all winter and there wasn't the slightest hint of any rust formed on them. the car was in a unheated garage with a wooden floor that was built on a hillside with plenty of air circulation underneath it.

1987 Red Spider Veloce parts car
Kubota Tractor

Last edited by BobHalfa; 05-13-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the update. You are probably correct regarding galvanizing. Sounds like you were able to virtually remove the dents. Excellent work. I find working the metal the last 1/4 to 1/8 inch difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 02:14 AM

Very interesting, I read the whole post and agree with most all said overall, a couple of points on my giulia ss I have had to make almost the whole car, I've used a lot of gas welding and followed up with lead to the joints. I never finish in lead preferring to leave a little room for a thin coat of filler? On a previous restored car, and I still have it , I had problems with each primer not sticking to the lead? In a couple of places I have had paint lifting? The filler I use is ultima, special formulated for use on most surfaces most notably Galvanised panels. And it works ,
I aim to finish of the prep of the car with the new type of filler/primer (urathane based, as shirwin williums, mentioned earlier) I'm also about to sandblast the entire she'll and aim to use an epoxy each followed by paint and stone guard, not sure on the brand, make of each yet though , any thoughts?
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:38 AM

Thanks for all the info. So much that I'll need to read over again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode