The next 79 spider on the chopping block. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

The next 79 spider on the chopping block.

Hello all! Been watching the forums for awhile now. I think I'm ready to dive in and start my project.

It will probably be a year or two long project, we will see. The wife is in nursing school at the moment, one year to go. I figure I can get the dirty work outta the way and prepare for replacing stuff when we have money again, lol.

Last edited by Opiwan88; 05-14-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Best of luck!!! Just remember..."Twice the time; twice the cost"....Ed K.
IanB likes this.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Garage
Ed, my experience is more like twice the time, four times the cost. It's a square law. Gets out of control really fast.

Good luck with the project, Opi. Looks like a tough one.
IanB likes this.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 AM

This car looks like the type of car we used to try and save when I lived in the Midwest. I moved to the South and now I would not think of trying to restore a car in this condition after finding pretty rust-free examples all day long around here in the Atlanta area.

Not when I think you can save a boatload of money starting with a car like this: 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider (No relation to seller. Just did a search to see what I could find.)

That being said, don't know where you are located and if you have any other options on a car. Good luck with the restoration and I think you will learn a lot.
IanB likes this.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 AM

please reconsider! you would be in a much better starting point if you could find a car with a better body! the mechanicals are dont matter as you will have to probably replace them on most vehicles. save youurself much time and very much cash this way!!!! this is just an opinion from an experienced car guy. good luck
grizzly and IanB like this.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

Thanks for all the advise and view points. I have gotten a little farther into the dis-assembly. There was an undercoating job done early in its life with saved much of the under-body. Previous owner says it was in a wreck after only a couple years off the dealership lot. It looks like the majority of the rust comes from those repaired areas.

Sorry about the lost photos here, more later on.

IAP has most of the parts I will need, like the spare tire well, fender bottoms and maybe rockers. Not sure if I want to fabricate the rockers. I will decide later when I cut the outer and middle away and see what I really have under there.

Oh, and I am in Michigan, Big Rapids area. my first A.A.S. degree is in Automotive Body Repair from Ferris State University, which is where I work now, in web programming and digital video. Yea, I know, my first 2-year degree has been put to hobby support, lol.

Last edited by Opiwan88; 05-14-2011 at 05:34 AM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Dont do it!

Dude don't do it! IMHO this car is way too far gone to be savable with out pouring money in a whole - unless you happen to be a skilled welder and panel beater with ALOT of spare time. I have recently undertaken total body repair on a car in much better condition than this and to do it *properly* is EXPENSIVE! ie thousands of dollars in welding, not including a couple in body panels alone. (There is no point just replacing the outer panels if you're not going to cut out ALL the rust you find, which adds alot of $$, otherwise you'll have a car that will be a death trap in a few years) Then you'll need completely retrim the interior (you'll need to rebuild the seats from the frame up, not easy to do properly yourself - I know, I did - and very expensive if you're going to pay someone) and new everything else. You are much better off stripping this beast of everyting you can take off it (save the burman sterring box if you can, they are VERY hard to find if you need one) and going and buying one that *someone else* has spent a fortune on and needs to sell. Go to IAP otr some other supplier and add up the cost of ALMOST EVERYTHING in the catalogue, and then add 50% (labor cost), then see if you can find a mostly rust free one somewhere for 3 or 4K. Just my opinion though... If you do Good Luck!
IanB and autobroker like this.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM

Agree, this is a tough one. Do not do it, unless you are an experienced welder, able to make replacement panels from sheet metal.

On the other hand, if you proceed, post pictures. Do not hesitate to ask for advice.
IanB likes this.

Spider 2.0i 1992 | GTV 2000 1971 | Giulia Spider 1963
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM

The 79 is less than desirable.
Its heavier, lower powered and where I live, still needs smog. My advice, pull out the motor and everything else salvagable, sell what you dont need or want and look for a 74 or earlier car, or one of the last ones.
Your car, sadly is in really poor shape, and need more than it would ever be worth in money or your time.
I am the last one to listen to other people, and will admit it up front, but go find a more worthy car.
IanB likes this.

Red 1974 Spider (Restoring!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue 1974 Spider (Sold 12/2016)
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 PM

Exclamation

man. i thought i had a spider problem at my house.. you might have more spider( the real type) than me.. be carefull.. before i would start rooting around in some dark craves in you car.. i would put it under a car cover or something like it..and set off a bug bomb.... this way you won't find and alive black widows.. that could ruin your day
IanB likes this.

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 AM

No 'black widows' here in Michigan...too cold & wet. BUT we have other equally enjoyable little buggers...like bees and wasps and 'black jumper' spiders with pincers bigger than a Buick...and don't forget "mold"...Ed K.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Gold Subscriber

I've got to admit I've never seen a spring pan rusted through, that is a first. That area around the top shock mount is scary.
It never hurts to have a parts car and this is a good place to start. You should be able to get a good rust free car farily reasonable, heck I tried to sell my 77 spider that I had fixed all the rust on, there wasn't much, new paint, tight suspension, good clutch, great gearbox, new top, just a tired but faithful engine and it wouldn't sell at what I thought was a very reasonable price. Not trying to sell a car just pointing out that you will save yourself a TON of money by starting off with a decent car and have a heck of a lot better Alfa experience in the long run and that car is a marathon.
IanB and autobroker like this.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Run away!!!!!!!!!
IanB likes this.

'82 Alfa Spider Veloce + '74 Fiat X1/9 + '10 Mazda RX-8 GT
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiwan88 View Post
There was an undercoating job done early in its life with saved much of the under-body.

Saved? Looks like the undercoating didn't do a lot for the L side springpan!

Quote:
Previous owner says it was in a wreck after only a couple years off the dealership lot. It looks like the majority of the rust comes from those repaired areas.

If the car is only rusted in the areas that were repaired from the collision, how did the bottom of the spare tire well get damaged by the accident?

As others have advised, you should find a cleaner Alfa, use the first one as a parts car. You will save time, save money, and end up with a nicer car.
autobroker likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-26-2010 at 11:46 AM.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgweiner View Post
Run away!!!!!!!!!
plus 1
IanB likes this.

66 duetto 1600
67 giulia 1300 ti
71 gtv 1750
71 spider 2L
92 spider 2L (nancy's)

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"If it's got tires or testicles it's going to give you problems" - Nancy Quinlisk[/FONT]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode