The next 79 spider on the chopping block. - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

I must say that I have seen much worse repaired here in the forums. I am pretty pleased that the floorboards are all solid. A small area near the left side needs to be replaced but that's all.

From what I have heard about Alfas and people that have bought " rust free" spiders, I will take the devil I know over the devil I don't know.

I will do my best to track my expenses and let you all know what it comes out to, but when I say I'm doing it all myself, I'm serious. This is a hobby now, it is what I do to get away from things, and relax. I guess that could define me as crazy and insane, but I am enjoying the work.

I will keep the photos coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM

I apologize. I wish him the best in restoring this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super1600 View Post
Hey guys, I think everyone who has commented has pretty much said the same thing, and the owner of this very sad rusty spider simply isn't listening. I think he has made his mind up irrespective of what all of us may think/say.

Therefore I am not sure it really there is any real point persisting with this line. It is his choice, and there is no doubt about it, this is not something which in any remote way makes economical sense, irrespective that it was free and assuming he can do the majority of the work himself.

Therefore, I guess the best thing is to wish him a lot of patience and hope he enjoys the process for it is sure going to be a lot of hard graft to bring this one back to life. It is possible that is for sure, as my Giulia Super was damned rusty, though not quite as bad as this Spider, and most people would have said I too was nuts and I don't even know how to weld so had to pay people to do the work for me. But now it looks like a Super waiting to be painted, which again regrettably is something I am going to have to pay someone to do one day as I don't have the gear, space, time or top quality experience to be able to do.

I guess in the end the owner of this one is so keen to tackle it, perhaps to prove it can be done, and to be proud of the end result, of his efforts. For sure buying a better one in the first place sure would have been so much easier, but maybe in this instance less rewarding to him.

If so I congratulate him on his courage though I am sure glad it is not my project.

Keep the photos coming mate and all the best.
autobroker likes this.

1984 Silver Spider Veloce - 2008 Corvette Z06 Black - 2005 Red Nissan Xterra Off Road 4WD
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Opiwan88,

Thanks for the pics!
Pete is right. you have to brace the car in order to keep it straight.

Spider 2.0i 1992 | GTV 2000 1971 | Giulia Spider 1963
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Bracing for sure.

Yup, I'm on the bracing before anymore cutting. I figured the outer beauty panels wouldn't be much for support, and since I could see inside to nearly the inner sill and the doors still open and close, I would be fine. hehe. I will pick up bracing when I visit the blacksmith to approve the sill rough draft and price.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Guys,

Once the rockers and chassis rails are replaced then this rust we are looking at will be a non-issue. In the end whether the car is this bad or just has a couple of holes in the chassis rail ... rip out and replace them is the most likely process, thus condition does not matter too much.

I'm also one of those people that has been restoring a car that I probably should not have. In fact my wife has many times requested (begged) me to just go and buy another car, but that is not what it is about for me. Restoring my car to concours condition is a personal challenge and giving me a great deal of satisfaction (inbetween the frustration).

Money and time don't really matter ... restorations should be all about the heart IMO.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 AM

Pete: correct, once the rockers have been replaced the car will be again a rigid car.
Opiwan88: how are the attachment points of the trailing arms of the rear suspension?

Spider 2.0i 1992 | GTV 2000 1971 | Giulia Spider 1963
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

The undercoating seems to be in great condition in all areas. The floor boards are good, most of the trunk is good and the subframes, rails and front suspension mounts look good, so far. Still need to do more exploration. Previous accident damage(removing some filler) will tell me more but most of the rust seems to be located to collateral damage from the accidents, a popped seam here, cracked undercoating there that let the elements in. I will be going at this in stages, first stage is the replace the rockers, get the structure back, then I can feel safer putting it up on stands or rotisserie.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Many years and much life happened, but the project did not end. Here are few photo updates. The negative feedback did prevent me from visiting the forums, but did not prevent me from making progress :-). It could be many more years before I am done, who knows. We have two children now, two dogs, the wife is an ER nurse, we are looking at having a new house built and who knows what else life will throw at us. For now, the Alfa keeps me sane and provides me with a little escape.
Attached Images

grizzly likes this.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

Great progress, thanks for sharing!
Add another garage bay in that new house and POR, press on regardless

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 PM

Fantastic!! And the car progress is pretty good too! Do keep this thread updated as you get through the ups and downs of Resto -- I admire your perspective and determination, please bottle some up and send to me!!
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thumbs up

Glad the feedback didn't deter you in the progress! Looking good! Man, with all that rust you showed back in, when was it , 2010?, I was wondering how to get through that.
Gotta say, I admire your perseverance.
If you need any parts, I just dismantled a 78 without the rust. I'll donate to your project if you pick-up the shipping.

Hope it comes along quickly, the roads are waiting for your Spider!
grizzly likes this.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Warm weather equals progress

I just might get her finished for summer.
Attached Images

1979 Alfa Romeo Spider
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Garage
I feel your pain...

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...-nonsense.html

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Fender quarters

Since I am on a budget, and for those that might also be doing work on a budget, I will share this.

I purchased $40 worth of stock sheet metal from my local welder. Rough cut it and hand bent it to fit my Spider. Welded it into the patch areas leaving the ends square. Then used a projector to project the side image of a Spider on the side of my Spider. Used rotate and scaling on the computer to line up the door gaps and body lines, and then traced the fender lines. Then cut the square ends off. Much cheaper than the replacement panels.
Attached Images

1979 Alfa Romeo Spider
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Top and interior

I also choose to go with a company by the name of Convertible Top Guys. They had a good selection of colors.

I haven't put the top on yet so I cant give any reviews on that product. They did send extra material so I used it to recover the header bow.

The seat covers did not fit tight, but they are good enough for me. The headrests were way too small to fit the 1979 headrests. I am sourcing an upholsterer to fix the headrest covers. I am learning that there are so many differences between the generations and US vs Euro spec Spiders that you need to expect to improvise. But they did have the matching seat material that you can buy as a roll per yard. I purchased enough to recover my door skins and additional interior trim to match. I have enough to also cover some speaker mounts for the kick panels, a speaker box for behind the seats and a shifter boot, so they all match.
Attached Images

1979 Alfa Romeo Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode