The next 79 spider on the chopping block. - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Opiwan88,

Of course, everything can be restored. The question is if it is economically feasible. However, if you have an emotional reason, or you just want to do it, pls proceed and post pics. Do not hesitate to ask for advice if needed. Good luck with your decision.

Spider 2.0i 1992 | GTV 2000 1971 | Giulia Spider 1963
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Speculation

If I had to speculate, and if knowing would help me attain my goal, I would first believe that in the late 70s and early 80's, undercoating was probably focused toward the body, and not so much the suspension. After that I would think that the SPICA and other components on the passenger side may have had various leaks that coated the suspension on that side with a protective layer of chemicals that the drivers side spring pan did not benefit from. I would also imagine that body shops back then, or even now, aren't entirely thorough, so they probably missed some collateral damage in the back end, stress fractures that could have opened up some seams, or cracked the paint and undercoating allowing the elements to penetrate areas other than the visible damage, like the spare tire pan. These types of thoughts should allow me to find the stuff that needs care.

This car was given to me by the original owner. I have always wanted to fix it up for him but life happens and he discovered other things that needed his care. He also got rid of his 54 Chevy Suburban, former school bus even, lol. I have always enjoyed extending the life of stuff, giving things the ability to be useful, and stay around for another 10-20 years, when you take care of them, maybe more.

A fair warning, I will most likely not be keeping this Spider stock or original. I can say I won't be doing anything crazy either, like some posts I have seen here. Not that crazy is bad, they are all unique and owner specific. I just feel like I can add some little changes that will make it more "My Alfa". I would like to stay with a roadster feel to the car, not really sure of the details yet.

If this needs to be moved out of restoration since I am not going original, I will understand.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 PM

I think that car was found off the coast of Nova Scotia. Dude, my car was beat but it looks good next to that one. You could buy a perfect car for about half what that will cost to restore. Sorry but I'm just trying to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Almost every Alfa need sills and boot floor ... Just like this car.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 PM

You are better off using this car as a "parts donor" and obtaining another one in much better condition to clean up rather than restoring "this old beast".

I restored my 73 Spider in Australia to concourse condition 8 years ago and it cost over $45k and it was in miles better condition than this car to start with.

I think you would have more success "pissing into the wind" than trying to bankrupt yourself fixing up this bomb!

Good luck anyway!
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 105Bandit View Post
You are better off using this car as a "parts donor" and obtaining another one in much better condition to clean up rather than restoring "this old beast".

I restored my 73 Spider in Australia to concourse condition 8 years ago and it cost over $45k and it was in miles better condition than this car to start with.

I think you would have more success "pissing into the wind" than trying to bankrupt yourself fixing up this bomb!

Good luck anyway!
My point was that no matter what you start with with a 105 series Alfa you have to replace sills, floor, etc. and thus will spend pretty much the same on the body work.

There is no such thing as a 105 series Alfa that just needs a "clean up", by now the floor/sills will need to be opened and probably replaced.

Thus buy the absolute cheapest but complete car you can ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

Don't know how much you paid but you can buy a rust free spider for under 4k

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider

Last edited by gigem75; 08-08-2010 at 02:50 PM.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Side project.

As expected, work is going slow, and I picked up a side project. A friend needs a paint job on his 90's mustang. Its a west coast car with a little surface rust. Should be a quick job for some extra cash.

Besides that, had to video tape a wedding, again extra cash, and my wife's brother is getting married this weekend, we are in the party. And my wife is on term break so family time is a must. And of course projects at the full time job came into full swing. Whew.

The motivation is still high while time is scarce.

Oh, and the Alfa was free so my cash commitment is low at this time. Only had to pay for tax and title.
sidewaysalfa likes this.
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

We're with you!

Premier or Final Cut for post?

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Macintosh all the way

Gotta be Final Cut. I'm Mac always now, won't go back to windows. The 27" iMac i7 processor is spoiling me. Multi-tasking powerhouse. I can have an online game running, The daily show streaming, while rendering a 3-d figure animation, with no hesitations.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Progress

Nice weather, a bit of vacation and motivation breeds rewards, or more work depending on how you look at it. :-)

Last edited by Opiwan88; 05-14-2011 at 05:32 AM.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Exploration!

Special thanks to Monsai52 for the cross-section of sills.

They are now at my local blacksmiths, he will quote me some prices for replacement inner, middle and reinforcement sill panels from straight stock. Working with 14, 12, and 10 gauge steel. We will see what he can come up with.

Because of this I had to finally cut into the body and see how much needs to be replaced. Honestly, it could be worse.

If anyone else would like this cross-section for reference, I would be happy to mail it out to the next needy member, let me know. Same as the photos in the link, about 8" long section or so.

Last edited by Opiwan88; 05-30-2011 at 08:04 PM.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM
PSk

Brings back bad memories that does. But the metal above the chassis rails looks quite good, once this ugliness is cut out you will feel much better.

You now need to brace your car before you cut anymore!!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:38 PM

Dude you gotta be smoking crack.

You will spend ten thousand to get the car in the condition of the same exact car you can buy right now for less than 4 grand.

Do us a favor even its a free car, go buy a 1000 junk yard car that doesnt have an engine or tranny and put your engine and tranny in it and you will be one thousand times better off.

You can find them in junk yards all across the USA...

Please dude, your jousting windmills even with the car free.

I was given a free 84 spider that needed a battery and had no body damage and I changed the fluids and interior myself all for about 500 dollars is my total investment. Now I can get a professional paint job from a buddy and sell it for 4-5K after spending 450 total on paint.

Please guy your going to be spending alot opf blood sweat tears and money on a black hole.

Even if you are best friends with the guy he would understand if you used this Lusitania as a parts car. There are two spider bodies on Ebay right now for under 500 bucks yoiu should buy one of them and just put your mechanicals and interior in them.

Just my two cents, but if you still proceed and want to restore this Titanic after all of the pain and misery your going to bring yourself, please keep the photos going. Were all cheerleaders for masochists!

Good luck and I hope you win the lottery (Or Lots of wedding photo gigs and west coast mustang paint gigs.)

Mark
autobroker likes this.

1984 Silver Spider Veloce - 2008 Corvette Z06 Black - 2005 Red Nissan Xterra Off Road 4WD
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 AM

Hey guys, I think everyone who has commented has pretty much said the same thing, and the owner of this very sad rusty spider simply isn't listening. I think he has made his mind up irrespective of what all of us may think/say.

Therefore I am not sure it really there is any real point persisting with this line. It is his choice, and there is no doubt about it, this is not something which in any remote way makes economical sense, irrespective that it was free and assuming he can do the majority of the work himself.

Therefore, I guess the best thing is to wish him a lot of patience and hope he enjoys the process for it is sure going to be a lot of hard graft to bring this one back to life. It is possible that is for sure, as my Giulia Super was damned rusty, though not quite as bad as this Spider, and most people would have said I too was nuts and I don't even know how to weld so had to pay people to do the work for me. But now it looks like a Super waiting to be painted, which again regrettably is something I am going to have to pay someone to do one day as I don't have the gear, space, time or top quality experience to be able to do.

I guess in the end the owner of this one is so keen to tackle it, perhaps to prove it can be done, and to be proud of the end result, of his efforts. For sure buying a better one in the first place sure would have been so much easier, but maybe in this instance less rewarding to him.

If so I congratulate him on his courage though I am sure glad it is not my project.

Keep the photos coming mate and all the best.
autobroker likes this.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode