Lol maybe a much ;-) but as I said they look great man

1990 Alfa 33 series 2 cl veloce with a 16v
2002 gtv ts 2001 156 jtd 2.4 sportwagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM

Hi there,

Great looking car first of all!

I'm interested in the brake upgrade. I'm currently doing the same thing and have the Alfa 155 rotors and have been interested in using the commodore calipers for a straight swap. Whats the pedal feel like with the 75 master cylinder? I'm concerned that it still might be too small for the size of the calipers, especially given I'm planning on taking this car to the track. Thoughts?

Thanks!
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Hi langy, I have the master cylinder but haven't fitted it yet but I've been driving the car as the every day driver because it's the only car I have registered right now until my vans registered just in case, don't want to be court out without a car, been doing panel and mech work on the van.

I don't think you need to worry much. The VL caliper has one large piston. The reason they went twin piston on the VT was to increase the pad size squeezing the disc to improve braking power. The overall combined piston area between the VL and VT is about the same.

As I've been driving the car with the standard master cylinder the pedal goes halfway through it's travel but the braking power available will bloody well squeeze your brains through your nostrils.... well nearly

The standard master cylinder piston is 20.6 the 75 22.2 It doesn't sound much but the 75 one is much physically bigger. I'm fairly certain it will do the job well and I am planning to post about it here when done.

For reference it's a 75 2.0L master cylinder, part number FBM4006 That can be cross referenced with a lot of other numbers.

The only difference is one pipe needs to be reshaped "by hand" from the green arrow to the blue, to easy!! I hope you fully go through with it you wont regret it.

84" Sprint.
90" 16v 33.

Last edited by Ricky Ricardo; 07-28-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 AM

The "squeezing of my brains through my nostrils" is exactly the kind of braking power I'm after. Sounds like once you fit the 75 master you'll get the pedal stroke back given its larger bore. think i'll be on the lookout for a 75 master now, as the whole conversion seems pretty straight forward. thanks for the tips. will be interested to know how it all goes once you do fit it though.

Also any idea if you think the whole setup would fit inside 15'' wheels? Is there much difference in clearance between the caliper and inside face of the wheel?

Thanks
post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

I have tried a 15x7 inch simmons 3 piece wheel but the nuts on the inside of the rim touch the caliper.
I've got a single damaged one piece 15x5.5 inch 35ET wheel that fits but because it's 5.5 it sits outside the guard and the hose wasn't attached, so I think some wheels might fit and some not?

84" Sprint.
90" 16v 33.
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 AM

15x7 Simmons is what I was looking to fit as well.. I guess there is the possibility of running a spacer to clear it. will look into it. thanks for your help.
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

This may be useful info to some people? I bought my 17 inch wheels used for a good price but 2 wheels had no centring rings that fit the centre bore of the hubs.
This caused the car to shake at 90kph and over, the tyre shop I bought my tyre's at educated me on this, the wheels must be centred on the hub and can't always be done by the wheel bolts alone.
This was made worse by the cheap rubbish ebay spacers I was using at the rear of the car.
So I've retired the rubbish spacers and bought these beautifully machined 10mm spacers from Alfisti in Germany including longer bolts. Link> https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...9cyWolIjCFFkAQ

These great spacers perfectly fit centred over the hub and allow the wheel to be centred over the spacer. Also if not using spacers rings can be ordered for almost any wheels from here. >Why you should use the Hub Centric Rings? - HubCentric-Rings.com

84" Sprint.
90" 16v 33.
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Finally got around to fitting the brake master cylinder. Been carried away on a camper fit out with my van.
Now it's done I can confirm with certainty part number FBM4006 is correct and had no trouble fitting it. Pedal hight is back to normal and firm.

84" Sprint.
90" 16v 33.
post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Just had these 16v carb manifolds arrive from Germany. A little busy at the moment but work will start on the engine that's going into the Sprint.

84" Sprint.
90" 16v 33.
post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo View Post
Here's a few short edits from a drive in the awesome Adelaide Hills.
A safe drive but gives an idea of the roads we can drive all day here.

The exhaust is coming off shortly, going to try a complete different system so eventually there'll be another video but not to soon, my back slows me down.

"Oh" and turn the volume up first.
Alfa 33 16v Drive. - YouTube
Exactly this video made me buy a 33. And sure glad I did.

Current:: '96 Alfa Romeo 164 Super V6 24V || '93 Alfa Romeo 33 1.5IE || '74 Holden HQ SS || '87 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser 5.0 V8 || '72 Volkswagen Beetle || '97 Nissan Sunny 2.0D
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuseetha View Post
Exactly this video made me buy a 33. And sure glad I did.
Hi kuseetha. I haven't been online for a while, glad you bought yourself a 33. I'm still driving mine.
kuseetha likes this.

84" Sprint.
90" 16v 33.
post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:48 PM

Hi,

Congratulations for the great car.

I like the brake upgrade and I am thinking doing the same on mine, I believe I have to study a little bit more.

Thanks for sharing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 PM

Hi Ricky,

What model are the large drilled discs?

Cheers Robert
post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpro View Post
Hi Ricky,

What model are the large drilled discs?

Cheers Robert
G'day Rob there aftermarket 155 v6 discs shipped from the UK

84" Sprint.
90" 16v 33.
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

I'm selling the 16v carb manifolds on ebay. I have decided I'll never get the time for an engine conversion for the Sprint and really like the sound and low end torque of the 1.5

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183514256262

84" Sprint.
90" 16v 33.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode