Alfa Romeo Forums banner

BAT 101 Spider Veloce

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  divotandtralee 
#1 ·
Hi,
I just noticed the 101 Spider on BAT has sold to an Aussie.
They will be a common sight here soon!
Regards Daniel

#2 ·
#4 ·
No need to panic

Hi Steve,
If you use a reputable and efficient shipping agent it should not be a drama.
I imported a 101 Spider this time last year and it was a breeze.
The government is scaring people importing cars and at the same time killing a small industry.
Regards Daniel

#3 ·
Australia is more likely to catch Tetanus from it than Mesothelioma...

Wasn’t me (unfortunately). I very nearly bid on this one... I’m not working at the moment and have the Duetto “underway” so a little shy of additional liabilities/toys. One day!! I hope the Celeste paint stays/returns.. the first Giulietta Spider I saw was this colour, it’s amazing in the light. Hope to see it one day. The final price (for me) was great considering what it is and needs, well bought I say.

(I’d prefer an earlier ‘57 so I could continue to pretend I will drive it in the Mille Migla one day ;) )

#5 ·
sent a link for this auction to Tim Doyle. he said he'd passed it on to someone , so hopefully we can contact the owner eventually. cheers Ian

#7 ·
Pretty sure if you had a mechanic change break pads , clutch and Head Gasket and provide receipts it would be enough. also want to chuck the heat shields above the mufflers.

cheers Ian

#8 · (Edited)
Pretty sure if you had a mechanic change break pads , clutch and Head Gasket and provide receipts it would be enough. also want to chuck the heat shields above the mufflers.
cheers Ian
Hi Ian,
It seems to be quite an involved process, so not sure it would be enough if you read https://www.abf.gov.au/prohibited-goods-subsite/files/fs-asbestos-risk-importing-vehicle.pdf which states
"A ‘face value’ letter from the supplier, or the supplier’s mechanic, merely stating there is no asbestos content is unlikely to provide sufficient assurance."
You never know it may be a common sight to see many more LHD 101 Alfas come into Australia as suggested by Daniel, if people are prepared to pay for the extra cleaning costs.
Regards Steve

#9 ·
I Know of a few people who have brought cars in and t seems a bit hit and miss. but I don't think its cost them huge amounts. some have sailed through without any issue.

Reactions: Karter7
#10 · (Edited)
Cambridge dictionary: hit-and-miss definition: If something is hit-and-miss, you cannot depend on it to be of good quality, on time, accurate.
So seems to be an element of risk that is not in your favour ('hit and miss'), but when it is in your favour 'you don't think its cost them huge amounts'
We are looking at two scenarios first is reducing the risks and what that costs?
And the second scenario is if you don't reduce the risks and what that costs?

Hope the owner can find that it's a 'breeze' so they can 'be sailing through' good luck.
Regards Steve

#11 · (Edited)
Government agencies usually respond to folks who play by their rules and who are aware of the rules and who don't blindly or through ignorance try to bluff their way around the rules. The agents appreciate importers who are informed and respect the rules. The point of importers making a claim there is nothing that breaks the rules on a bluff gets trashed the minute the agent asks a pertinent dummy no brainer question like "are the brake pads still in the car?" If you say YES... you are in for a world of hurt because that is a slam dunk no-no.

My strategy would be to go through the list of items on their website and have a written response for EACH one. This is something that an agent would look kindly on. Example -- Brake pads-Removed
... Bonnet pad---- Removed...Head gasket, exhaust gaskets, all down the list and so forth. Each one has to be noted. I'd risk the engine gaskets as they are pretty much ENCAPSULATED Using that term is the jargon of anyone who does asbestos abatement. I would go so far as the have the undercoating analyzed by a lab ..CHEAP.. and quick.. If it has asbestos you can possibly ENCAPSULATE it with a coat of primer and show it to be an acceptable method in the abatement industry. In the end I think your efforts will be rewarded.. Without the effort you are red meat to the lions in the agency. Just my 2 cents. BTW Gov't agents only go by the rules but they are all cut out of the same cloth regardless of what country. There sure doesn't leave any room for ANY asbestos though.

I found this particularly dire... The act of applying for import permission is not a guarantee that it will be granted. Owners must not ship
vehicles until they have received the import permission in writing. A copy of the permission must be
produced to the ABF at the point of importation.
In summary
The owner of the vehicle intended for importation into Australia needs to undertake appropriate checks to
ensure that the vehicle is not fitted with parts or components which contain asbestos. This will facilitate
compliance with border requirements and help prevent delays or costs associated with intervention by the
ABF.
More information with respect to the asbestos border control and border processes is located on the
ABF website.

Bottom line I'd be nervous.

#13 ·
What a great reply. You must be a fast typist to boot!
Can you please explain the “undercoating” re asbestos.

My car was assessed by the shipping agent. It was shipped with out brake pads. I wanted to fit fresh pads but they needed a certificate regarding asbestos content, so it was easier to ship with them removed.
I had already removed a heat shield on a trip a few months before shipping.
I put all my faith in the shipping agent as they do this daily. I did grit my teeth, and yes I was NERVOUS.
It arrived, sailed through customs so fast that I was not expecting it for a few days. I asked if we could delay for a few days till I’m rostered off. The shipping agent agent said, “ you don’t want to pay storage for two or three days-trust me”.
The Alfa was delivered by an excellent tow truck driver who helped my dad (I was at work) position the car in my garage. Remember, it was not drivable at this point.
It was painless in the end and the car did not have a mark on it apart from a few cat prints (it sat in the indoor LA depot for 3 weeks)
Regards Daniel

#17 ·
It amazes me the stupid crap governments do. Which in turn ends up hurting a segment of business in the state or country. Two of the marine wholesalers I do business with have sent out letters stating they will no longer ship to California due the large amount of regulations they now have.

Asbestos has not been allowed in brake shoes/pads and clutch's since 1991. The same with gaskets. As far as the exhaust shields go. As long as when you take it off you don't grind it in to a fine powder and snort it. Your safe.

I had to deal with the Australian laws years ago when I sold a wood Chris Craft to a guy in Australia. They were insistent that all the wood had to be sprayed with a chemical for some type of bugs that could be in wood. But the boat was not built out of any of the woods on there list and all the wood had a finish on it. No amount of back and forth that the shipper had with his counterpart in Australia would change it.

So it was sprayed inside and out and loaded into a container. The chemical dulled the finished corroded the inside of the gauges. Needless to say it cost the new owner thousands of dollars to repair the boat that was perfect and fresh out.

#18 ·
The asbestos laws have been around in Australia for a many years, but a few years back some do gooder minster for something or other decided to crack down on it. I know of a dealer who bought a highly original mustang gt350 Shelby in. he employed an asbestos inspector as required by the law to inspect the car. he sent his mechanics to the docks to supervise him. he ignored their pleas not to destruct parts of the car . he cut through wiring looms, dug out sealant around window rubbers, took chunks of sound deadening and I believe even scraped paint. he then charged the owner a vast sum of money to do this. the damage bill I heard was up around 20k. needless to say he is now suing the inspector. you have to love bureaucrats. another guy was importing containers of bikes from Japan. he found out about the laws as the container was on the way. I seem to remember his had something like 40 bikes in the container. he had been a bike dismantler and wrecker for years. he was up for a hefty fine on each bike. he told me that overnight he had all but been put out of business. he didnt think he was going to survive.

cheers Ian

#20 ·
We acquired a Californian `61 Spider this year and all it required in New Zealand was documentation of source of origin, proof it wasn`t stolen and what we call a VIN test which is a structure and safety test. No mention of asbestos here by way of declaration or checks on arrival. A lot simpler and cheaper.

Reactions: Karter7
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.