BAT 101 Spider Veloce - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Please join

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Would love to see your car one day Karter

Can I join the Facebook group as dreamer?
Hi Craig,
Please join the Facebook group “Aussie Alfa 750/101 Owners”.
With your Alfa fleet you are no dreamer!
Regards Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It amazes me the stupid crap governments do. Which in turn ends up hurting a segment of business in the state or country. Two of the marine wholesalers I do business with have sent out letters stating they will no longer ship to California due the large amount of regulations they now have.

Asbestos has not been allowed in brake shoes/pads and clutch's since 1991. The same with gaskets. As far as the exhaust shields go. As long as when you take it off you don't grind it in to a fine powder and snort it. Your safe.

I had to deal with the Australian laws years ago when I sold a wood Chris Craft to a guy in Australia. They were insistent that all the wood had to be sprayed with a chemical for some type of bugs that could be in wood. But the boat was not built out of any of the woods on there list and all the wood had a finish on it. No amount of back and forth that the shipper had with his counterpart in Australia would change it.

So it was sprayed inside and out and loaded into a container. The chemical dulled the finished corroded the inside of the gauges. Needless to say it cost the new owner thousands of dollars to repair the boat that was perfect and fresh out.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:16 AM

Garage
The asbestos laws have been around in Australia for a many years, but a few years back some do gooder minster for something or other decided to crack down on it. I know of a dealer who bought a highly original mustang gt350 Shelby in. he employed an asbestos inspector as required by the law to inspect the car. he sent his mechanics to the docks to supervise him. he ignored their pleas not to destruct parts of the car . he cut through wiring looms, dug out sealant around window rubbers, took chunks of sound deadening and I believe even scraped paint. he then charged the owner a vast sum of money to do this. the damage bill I heard was up around 20k. needless to say he is now suing the inspector. you have to love bureaucrats. another guy was importing containers of bikes from Japan. he found out about the laws as the container was on the way. I seem to remember his had something like 40 bikes in the container. he had been a bike dismantler and wrecker for years. he was up for a hefty fine on each bike. he told me that overnight he had all but been put out of business. he didnt think he was going to survive.

cheers Ian

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter7 View Post
What a great reply. You must be a fast typist to boot!
Can you please explain the “undercoating” re asbestos.

My car was assessed by the shipping agent. It was shipped with out brake pads. I wanted to fit fresh pads but they needed a certificate regarding asbestos content, so it was easier to ship with them removed.
I had already removed a heat shield on a trip a few months before shipping.
I put all my faith in the shipping agent as they do this daily. I did grit my teeth, and yes I was NERVOUS.
It arrived, sailed through customs so fast that I was not expecting it for a few days. I asked if we could delay for a few days till I’m rostered off. The shipping agent agent said, “ you don’t want to pay storage for two or three days-trust me”.
The Alfa was delivered by an excellent tow truck driver who helped my dad (I was at work) position the car in my garage. Remember, it was not driveable at this point.
It was painless in the end and the car did not have a mark on it apart from a few cat prints (it sat in the indoor LA depot for 3 weeks)
Regards Daniel
Undercoating... in the day it was common to use a spray-on material that was almost the consistency of mud when it dried and just as friable. It wasn't the same rock hard stuff you find on SS's and Sprints which was slathered inside the trunk floor and walls. Both types most probably have micro fine asbestos fibers in it to act as a enforcement. Roofing and chimney flashing used it too so it was a cheap way to reinforce the goo as it dried and reduce cracking. The Spider undercoating could be this stuff and have blisters where it has released on the substrate. If any part of it is showing this blistering or peeling off it could raise the hackles of an inspector who might declare it to have asbestos in it just to be ornery.. like peeling lead paint. I'm only speculating but that could be something to address with a lab report in hand.
Same for "body seams" that is noted in the agency paperwork.. I think that is far fetched even by the inspection standards.. My take is if the importer hasn't taken any step at all to recognize the rules the things like body seams will just be a way for the inspector to "pile' on as we say in football and throw the kitchen sink at the offender. It's like all law enforcement. If you argue a speeding ticket, the officer will find your car to fail on anything he sees as unsafe and have the car impounded. Just don't psss 'em off.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 07-13-2019 at 03:47 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 PM

We acquired a Californian `61 Spider this year and all it required in New Zealand was documentation of source of origin, proof it wasn`t stolen and what we call a VIN test which is a structure and safety test. No mention of asbestos here by way of declaration or checks on arrival. A lot simpler and cheaper.
Karter7 likes this.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:07 AM

Every country is different. The Swiss are famous for rejecting imported cars that are restored without using spot welds where the factory used them. It can be a very slippery slope.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode