Significant Australian Racing Alfas - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super1600 View Post
I just had a look at the photos of the ex Tony Edmondson car. Can you imagine trying to drive that car in races, did anyone notice where the engine and extractors are located. It would have been so hot and noisy inside that car. Bloody amazing to think what some race car drivers could put up with to win races, as it was certainly one seriously effective car. I have vague memories of seeing it in action both on TV and live back in its day.
Ricardello's car is much the same - I suspect with these things you're too busy keeping them pointing vaguely where you want them to go to be too worried about noise and heat...

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - pretty much finished!
Bunch of bikes too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 AM

Don't forget the evan green/john bryson brut 33 gtv gtam rally car,which i think became the tony edmondson sports sedan.written off.

CRAIG H .Sydney.Australia
74 1600GT;80 Alfetta GTV;84 Alfetta GTV;78 Porsche 911; 75 Porsche 911S
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Yep that's correct Craig. I wonder what gave Tony and his team the idea to turn the GT in the first instance into the VB Sports sedan in the first place, for it was certainly quite an engineering transformation.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
years"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:03 PM

Not sure what happened to Tony E subsequent to this period,but would be an interesting question to put to him.

post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Well, they built a second Alfetta Chev, which I think now lives in Canberra.

Tony Edmondson and Don Elliott took over Elfin in the late 80's I think. They built that Chev engined Honda Prelude sports sedan that raced in the 90s.

1975 Alfetta GT (race car) - sold, 1974 2000 GTV (restoration project)
2010 VW Passat R36 wagon (road car), 2015 VW Golf GTI PP (wife's car)
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM

You've jogged the dead brain cells -I remember the Prelude and have a vague recollection of Elfin. The second car I don't recall.At least one out of 3 !

post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 PM

Gents, just to let you know, the Tony Edmondson car is for sale in Aus at the moment

ex tony edmondson

RK
'73 105 GTV 2000; '64 105 GT 1600
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:31 AM

I know the guys who built the Edmondson car while working for Elfins. Back then the Sports Sedan rules stipulated that the gearbox had to be in its origonal location and the
GTV at the time was the only mass produced front engined transaxle car, to be able to get the weight distribution better.
Yes, the first one built was written off. This was made from the rally car. The torque tube used to join the engine and gearbox together is now a stand for a tube bender in K and A engineering. Alfa romeo gave ednondson another car to build into second sports sedan which I'm guessing is the car now for sale. I believe K and A also built the Riccardello car but have not had anything to do with it for a long time.

[COLOR="Red"]So many Alfas so little time![/COLOR]

80 Alfetta GTV 2.0
70 1300 GT Junior
83 Giulietta 1.8/2.0 (Track car)
73 Mercedes 280 SE (Big Track car!)
79 Alfetta Sedan (Rally Car - RIP)
=======================================
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 08:03 PM

Garage
Link to the history of the ex Gulson GTV6

www.duluxalfa.com

Last edited by scottf; 10-07-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Original link no longer valid
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 AM
s4m

Hi Im trying to trace an alfa GTA that belonged to a friend of my fathers, it was raced in a road race in Geraldton western australia where it blew the engine, it was running a was a chevy V8 at the time... Any suggestions? Please Email me at [email protected] if you can help!
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Couple of other Group C Alfa's .

Victorian Peter Barr converted his bought new (1981/2 car) an Alfetta GTV he had sprinted and hill climbed into a Group C at the end of the period.I think the car raced at one of the AGP meetings at Calder?

The other car was a white 105 GTV2000 that MW motors ran in a few events in Victoria,for some reason Robin Dudfields name comes up in my memory,the car was owned by Jeff Harrison in the early 80s reg # LHD...?, Jeff sold the car onto Gary Hand's who had Paul Rankin paint the car burgundy and was trimmed in tan leather,so that car was around in the mid 80s in quality condition.

Although neither car had long race histories both are Group C cars.

Thoughts.
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 PM

Giulia sprint gt veloce

Does anyone know much about the 105 giulia sprint gt veloce cars that raced in the mid sixties and what happened to them??
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
Couple of other Group C Alfa's .

Victorian Peter Barr converted his bought new (1981/2 car) an Alfetta GTV he had sprinted and hill climbed into a Group C at the end of the period.I think the car raced at one of the AGP meetings at Calder?

The other car was a white 105 GTV2000 that MW motors ran in a few events in Victoria,for some reason Robin Dudfields name comes up in my memory,the car was owned by Jeff Harrison in the early 80s reg # LHD...?, Jeff sold the car onto Gary Hand's who had Paul Rankin paint the car burgundy and was trimmed in tan leather,so that car was around in the mid 80s in quality condition.

Although neither car had long race histories both are Group C cars.

Thoughts.
Hi Rob.

Reckon that car Jeff and Gary had was registered LHD700. That's what comes to mind anyway.
Rob Bailey likes this.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
Hi Rob.

Reckon that car Jeff and Gary had was registered LHD700. That's what comes to mind anyway.
That's the car Jeff ran it a few times in sprints before he bought the Foley car.The Hands painted it and trimmed it in a tan leather.
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mino View Post
Does anyone know much about the 105 giulia sprint gt veloce cars that raced in the mid sixties and what happened to them??
Many have tried to find them,I'd say most being production racers without cages ,were just sold off as demos or 2nd hand cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode