105 prices - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

105 prices

Hi All,

Haven't been very active here since I sold my GTV in 2013. But I've been browsing car sales sites lately, and am wondering what's happening with 105 prices, especially the coupes. It seems prices have doubled in the last 5 years, well at least advertised prices have. Are these prices wishful thinking, or are prices really getting that high? Does anyone know what sort of money good 105s are changing hands for these days? Based on what I'm seeing, people are asking $40-50k for good drivers, and $70-80k for restored cars. Is that realistic?

'74 GTV 2000 - gone but not forgotten
'70 1750 Berlina - Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:05 AM

Garage
Hi Damo,

yes those prices are right. there has been some change hands for over 100k. are you looking to get one.

cheers Ian O

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 AM

Damo,

All across the 105 range....

Giulia sedans , one Super for sale at 39k

GTV's pretty much as you mentioned. Silver 1750 at CTS listed at 135k down to 125K now. There was a red 2L GTV concourse standard at 120k.

2L Spiders are 50k - 90k depending on condition. A dreamer on Gumtree has a fully loaded rusty hulk for sale at 19k!

I'm glad i have mine, i would never be able to afford them now.

Cheers,

Paul.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I agree with the previous posters; legitimate auction results support the numbers quoted in this thread. 105 series Alfas, as well as air-cooled Porsches, V-12 Ferraris and the like have approximately doubled over the past 5 years. I can't argue that it is logical, I can't predict where future prices will go, but for now, that's the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-074
I'm glad i have mine, i would never be able to afford them now.
I concur.
gprocket and f4driver like this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I agree with the previous posters; legitimate auction results support the numbers quoted in this thread. 105 series Alfas, as well as air-cooled Porsches, V-12 Ferraris and the like have approximately doubled over the past 5 years. I can't argue that it is logical, I can't predict where future prices will go, but for now, that's the way it is.

I concur.
How about those Stepfronts.... I got in just in time....

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:22 AM

We can thank the GFC for the price rises, already documented, so is logical.
This one https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/modb...300/1197787055 now only 12k!
some auction results
https://bringatrailer.com/alfa-romeo/gtv/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-074 View Post
A dreamer on Gumtree has a fully loaded rusty hulk for sale at 19k!

Last edited by Steve105; 10-13-2018 at 03:18 PM.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:48 AM

Folks rarely mention the 105 family member - Berlinas. They have not doubled, mi thinks.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 05:26 AM

They have not doubled because they are not perceived in the same way as the coupes.

The coupes starting off in 1963 as the 105-series Giulia coupe named Sprint GT was designed and styled by Giorgetto Giugiaro (when he was about 24 years old) during his time at Bertone. Giorgetto Giugiaro is one of the most influential car designer of all time and on 7 August 2018 Giorgetto Giugiaro celebrated his 80th birthday. The 105-series Giulia coupes have a sexy, cool, style factor that can still be seen today in Giugiaro's design no matter how old you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth207 View Post
Folks rarely mention the 105 family member - Berlinas. They have not doubled, mi thinks.

Last edited by Steve105; 09-01-2018 at 06:14 AM.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 07:07 AM

I believe we are in the middle of a speculative bubble specific to GTVs.

Last week, I spent some time playing with Hagerty's valuation curves. According to their figures, the value of a 2000 GTV has climbed from $37K to $51K over the last year for a car in condition 3, and from $85K to $122K in condition 1. (Bear in mind I used Hagerty.ca, these are Canadian dollars. Remove 25% for US) In both cases, this is an application of around 40%.

I have not been able to find another import with a similar appreciation. Giulia Supers, GTV6s, BMW 2002s, 240Zs, have all been pulled up by about 10%; British cars such as MGBs, Elans, have fairly flat curves. Very sought after models such as E Types and 911s have hit a ceiling around 2015 and are pretty stable since; a car such as a 1972 911T was actually worth a bit more 3 years ago.

Also bear in mind that cars in condition 1 and 2 see the strongest upwards swings; but that a condition 1 car is a Pebble Beach trailer queen, and that most of our cars are around no. 3 and below.

I should be happy, my GTV is worth around $50K. But somewhere, I lost something since the days I used to buy Alfas for a couple grand, keep them in good running shape and happily drove them everywhere.
Steve105 likes this.

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV; 1982 GTV6 Balocco #194
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmontreal View Post
I believe we are in the middle of a speculative bubble specific to GTVs...
I'll post the opposite view: My feeling is that the value of Alfas have been depressed for so many years that they are now just catching up to where they should be. Plus with Alfa Romeo back in the USA being marketed as a premium brand the general public is starting to recognize them. Third and most importantly, they are great cars. I've been driving around a fully restored '59 Vette this weekend. It is such a tank compared to my Spider, coupe or Super. I enjoy it but more than anything it reminds me about how wonderful my Alfas are. I'll drive them 50 to 1 over the Vette or my BMW. I just had a call yesterday from a guy who just bought an '89 Spider - a car most of us would say "meh...". But he loves it and drives it way more than his other fun car: A Ferrari...

People are start to catch on and the value (particularly with coupes) are rising for sure. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I suppose it depends what side of the for sale sign you're standing on...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:22 AM

Garage
@gprocket Agree 100% with your assesment. I would like to add a point in a previous post, the design of the 105 Coupe is timeless. I had a friend over the other day(well known Sculptor), not an Alfista by a stretch. He commented about the fantastic (his words) lines of the car...I mentioned that the market was a bit pricey for a Step front. His come back was " it is a understated-simple uncluttered design exercise ", he had never seen one up close. I smiled and said to him, yeah, my wife thinks its pretty to....
Attached Images

cucinando, gprocket and Steve105 like this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth207 View Post
Folks rarely mention the 105 family member - Berlinas. They have not doubled
Berlinas haven't doubled; they've gone up by an infinite percentage. They used to be worth nothing, now they are worth something, so something/nothing =
gprocket and Steve105 like this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 09-01-2018 at 01:44 PM.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:09 PM

Ummmm..... not sure $100K for a GTV has anything to do with driving qualities. Condition 1 cars are not driven anyway... they are trailered.

Did you ever drive a 280SL "Pagoda"? They now reach $200K!

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV; 1982 GTV6 Balocco #194
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Cool

Quote:
Ummmm..... not sure $100K for a GTV has anything to do with driving qualities. Condition 1 cars are not driven anyway... they are trailered.

Did you ever drive a 280SL "Pagoda"? They now reach $200K!
Well... I'm currently building a couple of GTVs that are well north of $100k and both are intended to be drivers. Personally I wouldn't enjoy the ride - I'd be worried about the car all the time. That's why my current favorite 105 is an S2a - even though they've quadrupled in value I can drive them without a care. If I wreck it, I'll just find another...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 02:15 PM

I don't think we will see a bubble, that means prices will come down eventually. I think as you said our cars are mostly condition 3. More cars will be pushed to level 1, bypassing level 2, thus sending prices exponentially up to $200k plus, This will happen I think once the world realizes the limited supplies of some cars like GT Sprint, GT Veloces and some RHD versions and the limited access to skilled labour that can bring cars back to level 1
Quote:
I believe we are in the middle of a speculative bubble specific to GTVs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode