88 Spider Quad Radio Wiring - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

88 Spider Quad Radio Wiring

I purchased an 88 Spider Quad last year. With 35,000 miles I would have expected some maintenance issues and found one with the radio. Apparently there were some electrical wiring changes for the factory radio installed, which is still used. According to maintenance records, when the car was originally purchased in 1988, a mechanic was chasing down a battery drain problem. Thinking the source was the radio and antenna, he ran constant power to the radio and disconnected the power lead behind the radio that serves the power antenna. The black/red wire behind the radio that goes to the antenna has been taped. Now I am not sure where the power antenna lead behind the radio is powered from. There is a connector that has a vacant space but no lead entering on either side of the connector. If anyone has a photo or radio wiring diagram that may help solve my problem it would be appreciated. I have had no luck searching around. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:42 PM

The antenna should have 3 leads: a ground, a constant 12V, and the control wire attached to the radio.

The antenna control wire that is connected to the radio supplies power to a relay attached to the antenna.

When the radio is turned on, power is fed to the relay (from the radio) via the red/black control wire, the relay switched is closed, and the antenna extends. When the radio is turned off, power to the control wire is cut off (or the wire is grounded), the relay switch opens, and the antenna retracts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Mario, Thank you for your reply. I apologize that I did not get back to you sooner. Took a trip and ended up with brochitus. A bummer. What I have finally realized that someone had rewired the radio taking power off the ignition switch. In doing that, they removed the constant power to the antenna. The green/black wire to the antenna is correctly connected to the switch circuit at the radio to the antenna. So now I will capture the constant power at the radio, fuse that circuit behind the radio, then split to the radio and the red/black wire to the antenna. I get heart burn thinking that there might be unfused 12v power threaded through the car. Once again, thank your for your reply. It was a great help in understanding how this thing worked. Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode