The other project i tackled this last weekend was fixing the horns. I have to get the car safety checked before I register it here in Hi. They give you thirty days from delivery at the dock to get the registration and plates changed to HI. So the safety check is a general review of lights, horn, tire tread and other basic items, it is a yearly requirement here.
I took the horns off and cleaned the terminals and tested both to confirm they work. I ran a ground wire to each one when i reinstalled them. The car was painted by the PO and I wanted to provide a definite ground. I then opened up the relay and cleaned out 50yrs of corrosion and cleaned the contacts. I tested that and confirmed it worked.
I traced the wire to the steering box and cleaned and remade that connection. The horns still did not work so I tested the ground connection in the horn hub and found that not working. I could ground the wire that comes up through the steering column on the hub and the horns worked, so I knew I was getting close.
The final project was removing the steering wheel. I bought a simple steering wheel remover from O'Rieley Auto Parts (#W8065) and two thick washers and two 6MM x 100mm bolts from Lowes. With some homemade penetrating oil (50% ATF/50% acetone) I removed the securing nut from the steering wheel and lubricated the connection at the hub. After replacing the securing nut and leaving it 2 revolutions from contacting the hub, I put the steering wheel puller on the hub and used the bushing provided to center on the nut. I loaded the puller to the point the washers holding the 6mm screws started to deform. One smack with a hammer and the wheel was free. When I removed the contact from the back of the hub it was heavily corroded and both surfaces had to be sanded to a clean surface.
Of course while the wheel was off I had to polish the spokes, so that added several hours to the project. With the wheel back on the horns worked!
Overall a good weekend.
Last edited by Jusdrivit; 09-23-2017 at 12:14 AM.