1966 Alfa Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jusdrivit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

1966 Alfa Spider

I need to access the body cavity below the antenna hole on my Duetto.
(See pic)
What is the best way?
Thanks,
Mark
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Go thru the wheel well. The panel aft of the wheel is screwed in. Remove the panel and you should be able to access the antenna.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

It was hard to see the panel with all of the old layers of undercoating on it. Once I got it open, I also found not only the antenna that I had dropped in there when removing it, but the original one that the PO had dropped! I installed an original looking antenna to replace the rubber one the PO had installed as it looked odd.
This BB has been a a great resource!
Aloha,
Mark
Attached Images

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:50 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusdrivit View Post
It was hard to see the panel with all of the old layers of undercoating on it. Once I got it open, I also found not only the antenna that I had dropped in there when removing it, but the original one that the PO had dropped! I installed an original looking antenna to replace the rubber one the PO had installed as it looked odd.
This BB has been a a great resource!
Aloha,
Mark
Well done . Oh and while in there, clean all the dirt out and rust proof/paint, especially on top of the sill/rocker panels.

Now I'm wondering what the two black wires are?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post

Now I'm wondering what the two black wires are?
Pete
One if for the side marker, the other goes to the door jamb switch.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

The other project i tackled this last weekend was fixing the horns. I have to get the car safety checked before I register it here in Hi. They give you thirty days from delivery at the dock to get the registration and plates changed to HI. So the safety check is a general review of lights, horn, tire tread and other basic items, it is a yearly requirement here.

I took the horns off and cleaned the terminals and tested both to confirm they work. I ran a ground wire to each one when i reinstalled them. The car was painted by the PO and I wanted to provide a definite ground. I then opened up the relay and cleaned out 50yrs of corrosion and cleaned the contacts. I tested that and confirmed it worked.

I traced the wire to the steering box and cleaned and remade that connection. The horns still did not work so I tested the ground connection in the horn hub and found that not working. I could ground the wire that comes up through the steering column on the hub and the horns worked, so I knew I was getting close.

The final project was removing the steering wheel. I bought a simple steering wheel remover from O'Rieley Auto Parts (#W8065) and two thick washers and two 6MM x 100mm bolts from Lowes. With some homemade penetrating oil (50% ATF/50% acetone) I removed the securing nut from the steering wheel and lubricated the connection at the hub. After replacing the securing nut and leaving it 2 revolutions from contacting the hub, I put the steering wheel puller on the hub and used the bushing provided to center on the nut. I loaded the puller to the point the washers holding the 6mm screws started to deform. One smack with a hammer and the wheel was free. When I removed the contact from the back of the hub it was heavily corroded and both surfaces had to be sanded to a clean surface.

Of course while the wheel was off I had to polish the spokes, so that added several hours to the project. With the wheel back on the horns worked!
Overall a good weekend.
Aloha,
Mark
spiderJohnNH likes this.

Last edited by Jusdrivit; 09-23-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode