Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Audio Electrical & Acoustics (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/audio-electrical-acoustics/)
-   -   1969 Duetto - I want to install a REAL Earbleeding Stereo need advice (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/audio-electrical-acoustics/565490-1969-duetto-i-want-install-real-earbleeding-stereo-need-advice.html)

boattail 02-07-2017 09:01 AM

1969 Duetto - I want to install a REAL Earbleeding Stereo need advice

1969 Duetto - I want to install a REAL Earbleeding Stereo need advice.

i just put in a new front end stereo and tiny underdash mounted speakers and they distort and sound like crap. I cant seem to locate a good spot to install some earbleeder speakers. i think the front end stereo is fine but the speakers are so tiny they cant handle the output. I'm trying to goto 11.

i was thinking about cutting into the door panels but it looks small also.

i was then then thinking about installing a speaker "box" and anchoring it to the floor behind the seats. but sounds weird to me.

any advice from anyone who has modernized their duetto audio on where and what to install is appreciated.
photos would be a bonus

boattail 02-08-2017 07:47 AM

anyone have any thoughts?? if not ear bleeding then at least medicore :).
mine now sounds terrible.
greatly appreciated in advance.
thanks

ossodiseppia 02-08-2017 08:39 AM

There are lots of places you can cut holes in and install speakers. Mine had four, two in the kick panels and two in the rear, one on each side.

Honestly, with an open air car, I don't think you will be getting the kind of acoustics that you want.

farleybob 02-08-2017 08:50 AM

I'd try to avoid making modifications that aren't reversible. But that's just me. It's going to be tough to get really high quality sound in a Spider. I think I'd make sure my amplifier has plenty of clean power first. Not necessarily to be loud, but because if it is underpowered distortion kicks in and the best speakers won't help. After that, I'd lean toward a box to put behind the seats. That way you get volume (space) and you shouldn't get resonances from the body panels like you would in the doors. Also, it would be reversible. You could replace the speakers that are currently under the dash with similar but hxigfer quality ones. Since they're sharing the work with the speakers behind the seats it would probably be ok. Just remember to turn it off sometimes and listen to the engine! :smile2:

alfasrule 02-08-2017 12:08 PM

I made a speaker enclosure to fit in the rear of my Spider. 8" woofers, 5" Midrange and 3" Horn tweeters. Finished it to look like the steering wheel.
Also mounted 2 6" multi range speakers by the lower kick boards. Didn't like cutting holes into my new door panels.
Just have a 50 watt system, but I bought an amp to install in the speaker box.
Box is cool cause I didn't cut anything and just ran the wires under my mats.

60sRacer 02-25-2017 10:20 AM

I took the stereo out of my Duetto altogether. I use my iPod (now iPhone) and bluetooth headphones. Otherwise, it doesn't matter what speakers you use. We are so used to air-tight coupes with soundproof windows, we do not realize how much noise is there with the top down. Top down on the freeway and you can't hear your speakers unless they are so loud that the cop next to you complains.

Besides, I have a GTA airbox and Magnaflow SS exhaust (with stinger) and LOVE to hear the carbs sucking away and the tailpipe burbling.

For each his own.

Robert

AlfaEmitter 03-05-2017 04:35 PM

I do the same. The nano-sized ipod fits nicely in the Duetto ashtray. I don't think a full-blown stereo in a noisy-by-nature convertible would add much. I save the automotive stereo experience for the 330 ci.

Anfanuts 03-13-2017 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60sRacer (Post 7477273)
I took the stereo out of my Duetto altogether. I use my iPod (now iPhone) and bluetooth headphones. Otherwise, it doesn't matter what speakers you use. We are so used to air-tight coupes with soundproof windows, we do not realize how much noise is there with the top down. Top down on the freeway and you can't hear your speakers unless they are so loud that the cop next to you complains.

Besides, I have a GTA airbox and Magnaflow SS exhaust (with stinger) and LOVE to hear the carbs sucking away and the tailpipe burbling.

For each his own.

Robert

I've concluded that if a vehicle is not worth listening to it's probably not worth diving, unless I'm towing a boat.

VenturaAlfa 07-19-2017 04:57 PM

I felt the same way in wanting a good stereo so I put in a Sony MEX xb100bt. Most powerful head unit with built in amp; 100 watt. Then I put a pair of boxs with 6x9 3 way Sony speakers in the back faced towards the seats and 6 1/2 inch 3 way Sony speakers in the kick panels. Sounds decent and can be heard at above freeway speeds. Main disadvantage is that you lose almost all of the bass with the open car. Sony head unit has a mega bass setting on it and there still is not that much bass.
If I was going to do anything more I would add an amplified sub to the car but I think I'll never quite get the sound I want so I'm probably done.

Interesting side note, I have a 74 Jensen Healey also and that car is much quieter with the top down. Similar stereo mounted in the same way and it is much easier to hear. Not sure why but the Jensen Healey has much less wind noise and tends to block the sound of big rigs going by me better. Part of that may be the seats which are high back contoured recaros.

Ventura Alfa

60sRacer 07-19-2017 06:09 PM

Why not just a simple stereo with noise-cancelling in-ear headphones? Solves all those problems, and won't disturb all the neighbors, nor chop up a nice, simple Alfa.

R

VenturaAlfa 07-19-2017 07:10 PM

60's racer, not sure where your from, I thought it was the U.S.

Technically, noise cancelling in-ear headphones used in both ears are illegal in all 50 states. That law is actually enforced in California.

Reason that law enforcement, fire departments, and ambulance companies object to them is that they prevent you from hearing approaching vehicles with their sirens on.

I know the same argument could be made about loud music but I will say I hear a siren over loud music that I don't hear when riding as a passenger with headphones in.

In California the ticket for headphones in both ears can exceed $400.00.

I would be pretty obvious with headphones driving a drop top and I would rather have the loud stereo than the ticket.

Ventura Alfa

60sRacer 07-20-2017 07:55 AM

Thousand Oaks - just down the street from you.

I was referring to the little in-ear buds. Actually don't need noise cancelling. I use a bluetooth headset that I also use for running choose not-white, not-iPod and they are nearly invisible. I've been stopped for loose tail light and chatted with the CHP by pulling one out of my cop-side ear and never had a problem. Maybe because it looks like a hearing aide on an old goat.:smile2:

I did get a warning a few decades ago when I was driving with a gigantic over-the-ear Koss studio set in Connecticut. Was in uniform at the time (Air Force) so that might have gotten a pass....

Robert

Mario Romagnoli 08-13-2018 12:49 PM

I had a '69 Spider, and the PO had gotten a rear parcel shelf from a late Series 2 or Series 3 and mounted large speakers in it. It fit perfectly behind the front seats in the back "jump seat" area.

He didn't even need to screw it down, because the weight of the speakers was sufficient to keep it in place.

Craig_m67 08-13-2018 04:45 PM

Have a look at how convertibles have done it.

There was an early Porsche (boxter?) that had a tuned port enclosure made out of ABS plastic that sat in the boot, porting through the rear firewall for bass. Mids and tweeters then don’t necessarily have to be loud/strong.. just matched and in good positions

Milanoguy 08-13-2018 07:15 PM

Get a bigger alternator, and wiring ?

Boattail

First thing you need to do is get a bigger alternator. Get a 75 AMP alternator from a later spider. Or better yet fit a modern GM alternator (are you in the USA?) if you don't do the wiring yourself, inspect it very carefully. I've seen several classic cars suffer electrical fires as a result of improper stereo installations.

The stereo wiring should be it's own separate circuit(s) with it's own fuse(s) It should have no connection with the existing fusebox.

Bye