Retro Radio - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jarrington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Retro Radio

Has anyone installed one of the new retro looking radios? I have a 74 spider that needs a new radio and I would rather not get something high tech looking.

I did purchase one from Alfaholics not realizing it was not a dual post unit and I really don't want to cut the dash to make if fit if possible.

Thanks!

Ya say ya don't have a ticket, walk in backwards, they'll think you're coming out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 03:18 PM

My Super came with a Retrosound installed by one of the POs. It's horrible sounding and near impossible to tune so it's never turned on. If I can find a well priced old Becker this new p.o.s. is outta there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
****, I just ordered a radio from Retrosound!

Ya say ya don't have a ticket, walk in backwards, they'll think you're coming out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Sorry Bernardo, but I have a Becker Europa II (stereo) in my 72 and it sounds even worse than the Retrosound radio. That is why I went that way. The watts (amplification) is so meager that to hear anything you really have to turn it up and the distortion is bad at that gain. It's like the 10 W/ 15W max system I just pulled out of a new old boat I bought. Fina at idle. Plus finding one that works (both bands and the input) is difficult and very expensive nowadays.

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 05:44 PM

I had that Becker in my old Mercedes and I liked it over the diesel clatter.
Listening to the 2L works although I would like to hear a baseball game. Can't get the am to work at all in the retro
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
I have a Becker Europa II (stereo) in my 72 and it sounds even worse than the Retrosound radio. That is why I went that way. The watts (amplification) is so meager that to hear anything you really have to turn it up and the distortion is bad at that gain.
Yes, the Becker Europa II in my '70 BMW behaves the same way. It looks beautiful and I must admit that I have fun playing with the analog tuning while I'm bored at traffic lights. But its signal-capturing ability and output power are pretty poor by modern standards.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

I've got a RetroSound radio in my Berlina with two 5 inch Alpine speakers in the stock sides of the console, tweeters mounted at the top of the A pillar, and a 5x7 sub in the stock opening on the parcel shelf running through a small amp. It sounds pretty good to these ears.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
That's a nice setup. I like the subwoofer mounting idea. It definitely sounded better than the vintage Becker Europa II in my Super. B
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 PM

I just tested out the Pioneer cassette player I installed in my Spider. With headrest speakers it sounds pretty good! Much better than the old Frankfurt US I had in my old Spider, and with a cassette adapter I can even play music off my phone. Not 1974 period correct - I think it's from 1982-ish - but it still has that old-school charm.
Attached Images

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrington View Post
I just tested out the Pioneer cassette player I installed in my Spider. With headrest speakers it sounds pretty good! Much better than the old Frankfurt US I had in my old Spider, and with a cassette adapter I can even play music off my phone. Not 1974 period correct - I think it's from 1982-ish - but it still has that old-school charm.
that looks really nice.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
that looks really nice.
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I've tried the vintage Blaupunkt route in the past and wasn't too pleased. They look great but cost an arm and a leg, and the sound is pretty lousy. I've also tried hiding a modern stereo in the trunk and it worked OK but involved a ton of complicated wiring all over the car for speakers, wired remote, etc. And there's no good place to install speakers in a Spider, so especially with the top down audio quality is only adequate at best.

This Pioneer / headrest speaker combo looks to be a good compromise. Nice looking, simple wiring, decent sound, no speaker holes in the doors or kick panels, and I can play music or audiobooks from my phone with the cassette adapter.
Anfanuts likes this.

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrington View Post
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I've tried the vintage Blaupunkt route in the past and wasn't too pleased. They look great but cost an arm and a leg, and the sound is pretty lousy. I've also tried hiding a modern stereo in the trunk and it worked OK but involved a ton of complicated wiring all over the car for speakers, wired remote, etc. And there's no good place to install speakers in a Spider, so especially with the top down audio quality is only adequate at best.

This Pioneer / headrest speaker combo looks to be a good compromise. Nice looking, simple wiring, decent sound, no speaker holes in the doors or kick panels, and I can play music or audiobooks from my phone with the cassette adapter.
i wish i could put a retro looking stereo like what you did but it would be out of place on my 92.

it's old but not old enough for that.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I just installed a Retrosound Hermosa in my 1980 Spider that replaced an aftermarket Alpine Cassette deck that a previous owner had added. After a little monkeying around everything works great with a 4 x 6 1/2" speaker setup. It's not great sound but it looks good and is a huge step up from the previous unit. Best part is the Bluetooth. I'm very happy with it.

The weirdest thing though is when I had the dash open after installing it, the radio would reboot every time I put the car in reverse. I also had a noise problem so I spent a bunch of time working on that and got it straightened out (poor antenna ground), and then actually measured a voltage drop on the switched circuit when the car was engaged in reverse. I had run a new 12AWG wire directly to the battery for the main power on an unstitched line, and used a switched wire that had been tapped off the harness underneath by whoever installed the other radio. I decided since the noise was gone I could live with the other problem for now because I want to use the car this weekend.

I put the dash back together, tightened everything up, started the car and held my breath. Everything worked the way it had with the dash open and lo and behold, it didn't go off anymore when in reverse. I don't know what exactly I did, but I'm going to go with it. Since the harnesses were all undone, I guess one of those open circuits caused a problem on the switched power wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode