Tasteful single-DIN radio for a '77 spider needed - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Tasteful single-DIN radio for a '77 spider needed

Hi all,

My nearly 20-year-old Alpine CD player in my spider has been radio-only for the last few years, and I finally want to replace it. The sound was pretty decent, though, and aesthetically it wasn't bad either - anthracite with backlit green buttons that matched the green headlight indicator light on the dash. Sadly, I didn't have the foresight in 1991 to know that retro-looking and rebuilt vintage radios would be available, so the dash is cut for a modern unit. However, that means my choices seem to be limited to garish, blue-lit modern stuff. Can anyone recommend something tasteful and not too pricey (to cut the risk of theft)?

I do have a late 1980s single-DIN Blaupunkt cassette deck (like this Bremen SQR46, I think: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=301047607951) with digital display, formerly installed in the car, if that's somehow reusable.

And for you purists who say "no radio, I only need the sound of the engine" - well, it *is* pretty awesome, but I hope that outside the car, you don't have the same album on repeat for 22 years, even if you do revisit your favorites every so often.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Keen / Rusty But Trusty - http://rustybuttrusty.com
77 spider veloce - since '91/'79 sprint veloce - since '05/'72 2002tii -since '12

Last edited by ckeen74; 12-27-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeen74 View Post
Hi all,

My nearly 20-year-old Alpine CD player in my spider has been radio-only for the last few years, and I finally want to replace it. The sound was pretty decent, though, and aesthetically it wasn't bad either - anthracite with backlit green buttons that matched the green headlight indicator light on the dash. Sadly, I didn't have the foresight in 1991 to know that retro-looking and rebuilt vintage radios would be available, so the dash is cut for a modern unit. However, that means my choices seem to be limited to garish, blue-lit modern stuff. Can anyone recommend something tasteful and not too pricey (to cut the risk of theft)?

I do have a late 1980s single-DIN Blaupunkt cassette deck (like this Bremen SQR46, I think: 86 87s Porsche 911 Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46 Radio incl MP3 iPod iPhone | eBay) with digital display, formerly installed in the car, if that's somehow reusable.

And for you purists who say "no radio, I only need the sound of the engine" - well, it *is* pretty awesome, but I hope that outside the car, you don't have the same album on repeat for 22 years, even if you do revisit your favorites every so often.

Thanks,
Chris
The "pinstripe" Beckers are single-DIN and look fantastic. Maybe a Europa Stereo with the Aux input, or a Mexico?

1492_1994_05

You can usually get one off eBay germany for a good bit cheaper than US prices.

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks - that's interesting, I'd just assumed those were two-peg like most other older radios. I'll add those to my search - I found a rear Bosch fog light for my 2002 in France at a very reasonable price, so I wouldn't be surprised to find things like this are cheaper too.

If anyone has a lower-cost suggestion, I'd love to hear it too.

77 spider veloce - since '91/'79 sprint veloce - since '05/'72 2002tii -since '12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 PM

If the cassette works on that Blau I'd just use it with one of those cassette aux adapters to plug in your phone. Prices on the chromed out vintage Blau and Becker radios have frankly gotten kind of silly anyway. The digital display doesn't quite fit the vintage but otherwise I think that would look fine, and it's a lot more convenient than the analog tuner in my (admittedly great looking) Frankfurt.

You're right that the DIN opening is great for modern stereos but lousy for vintage. If you did want to go with a new CD player Nakamichi still makes some that don't look like a video game. A bit pricey but probably cheaper than a vintage Becker, and depending on your speakers you might even be able to hear it with the top down.

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

The cassette deck was failing, I believe, so I'm seeing if my local stereo guy, who did a good job with my tii, can fix it. There's also a place down in North Hollywood that fixes German car radios.

Failing all that, the new Blaupunkt does have a semi-retro, two-knob look. I've seen other recommendations for the Clarion CZ702 because the display has 700-something colors, so you can adjust it to something non-techno. I'm having a hard time understanding what's up with Nakamichi - last I'd heard they went bankrupt, but now they're selling stereos that look suspiciously similar to Alpines, etc.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I got a ALFA Radio Model 1810, had it in a box, fixed it all up new belts works good.
It has the ALFA tag and all. Is this worth anything? A note the first song I played through the cassette was GODZILLA! by B.O.C. Sounded awesume!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Sounds kind of cool, but is that a two-post design like many older radios were? Got any pics?

Thanks!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 07:41 AM

im putting a blaupunkt 320 in my sprint veloce.. the car came with the blau system and i think the head unit is very clean looking. unlike many of the other stereo companies.

99 MB 430SLK M113 V8 6 speed swap ----- 95 Miata Autocrosser

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode