Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Audio Electrical & Acoustics (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/audio-electrical-acoustics/)
-   -   "Euro" 5 x 7 speakers (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/audio-electrical-acoustics/205163-euro-5-x-7-speakers.html)

hans2 01-21-2013 03:50 PM

"Euro" 5 x 7 speakers

Vintage Alfas, Volvos, and I presume other European makes came equipped for speakers that utilize a 4.25" square hole pattern, but are oval 5 x 7.25 in shape. One can buy speakers with the 4.25 hole pattern today, but because they're all round they do not necessarily fit the factory mounting surface. Anyone know 1.) what I'm referring to and 2.) what a modern substitute for these Euro speakers might be? Thanks much!

73gtv 02-06-2013 11:01 AM

hans2 02-19-2013 06:43 AM

Crutchfield doesn't carry specialized speakers that are drop-ins for vintage Euro cars (e.g., Alfas, older Benzes). I've since taken a dremel cutter to a modern round speaker to fit it to my Giulia's speaker opening. The cut is closer than I'd like to the speaker diaphragm.

DPeterson3 02-19-2013 07:48 AM

Crutchfield kinda wore me out. I called them. They wanted I told them. They said "we don't have an Alfa Montreal in our system". To which I replied "duh", or maybe I thought it.

I gave them the screw center dimensions, which are a smallish rectangle. The kid said he'd check on it and get right back. A week later I got a computer generated email that asked if I had found the speakers I needed yet.

Nope.

hans2 02-19-2013 10:52 AM

This company, from whom I've purchased a radio, also sells Euro speakers that **may** have an Alfa-compatible hole pattern. One would have to e-mail them for measurements and ensure they're quoting the right dimensions.

Startseite • Online-Shop Knigs Klassik-Radios

Gubi 02-19-2013 11:15 AM

Crutchfield sells a variety of 5"x7" oval speakers. Even if the mounting hole pattern is different I assume it should be reasonably easy to bodge up the mount to make it work, right?

Or maybe I'm confused: it's not clear to me how a 5" speaker could utilize a 4.25" square pattern. You got a picture?

oz3litre 02-19-2013 02:25 PM

My brother got me some 5x7 twin cone speakers from his electronics wholesaler in Sydney for $10 each. I fitted four of them to my 75 and a couple in the back of the 164. They have a very nicely balanced sound with excellent bass response. The screw pattern is only slightly out and can easily be bodged up to fit with some careful filing. I assume the speakers mentioned above would be the same pattern.

hans2 02-21-2013 05:25 AM

Pic shown as attached. I meant to say earlier that the dash cutout was 5" x around 7".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubi (Post 1228995)
Crutchfield sells a variety of 5"x7" oval speakers. Even if the mounting hole pattern is different I assume it should be reasonably easy to bodge up the mount to make it work, right?

Or maybe I'm confused: it's not clear to me how a 5" speaker could utilize a 4.25" square pattern. You got a picture?

Gubi 02-21-2013 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, that's not a square hole pattern: it just looks like a normal 5"x7" speaker. Try Crutchfield, they carry a bunch in that size.

Crutchfield

SuperFab 03-19-2014 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This what I did for my Super. I made my own adapter piece.