'77 Spider ashtray iPod dock - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

'77 Spider ashtray iPod dock

Unfortunately at this time I don't know the model of iPod that will be used, but the idea is to be able to slide back the lid on the ashtray, which is 2 13/16" x 1 5/8" at the bottom, and insert the iPod into a dock. I have the (unfortunately incredibly bulky) charging/playing connector for this (which goes to a new vintage looking radio). Then when leaving pull the iPod out and close the lid. No wires will show since they're under the center console.

I'm not sure if this is necessary to add, but all this dock needs is to hold the iPod in place, charge it, and play it through the radio. My brief searches has docking stations that have their own speakers, and can be hooked up to one's entire home sound system.

If all else fails I'm inclined to cut a hole in the bottom of the ashtray and epoxy the connector in from the bottom. I assume it will hold the iPod in by itself, but will be a bit more difficult to insert.

Has anyone gone through this process and come up with a good solution? If you found a dock that fits, could you give me the details for it?

Biba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 AM

Hey Biba, i tried a similar thing with a 79 gtv, only i fibreglassed a mould to fit into the ashtray, its removable and is quite nice painted red, i cant tell you how the fibreglass was made, but it was done using a dock mould off a speaker set i had lying around which my brother fibreglassed into a square mold that filled up the ash tray, which in the gtv i think is a bit smaller then yours, correct me if i am wrong, but perhaps i can get some ideas for you, im quite sure that you can make a mould out of polystyrene then wrap in in electrical tape, wax it and then fibreglass over that, sand the inside of the mould and then mould it again, hopefully this idea is helpful, if you needed help with the mould making im sure you could ask some of the 'glass gurus from the forumn
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

GTV6 Grand Prix, thanks for this info. I understand how the mold held the iPod in place...but how did you attach the cable - hole in the fiberglass?

I certainly don't specialize in sound systems, but do try to make the installations neat. I hate clutter and that definitely includes wires/cables just hanging from the dash or glove box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Greetings Biba,

Ok firstly as i said my mate had molded into place the connector from an ipod but with a dock piece underneath it, to do this me firstly made a polystyrene mold of the glovebox carved the hole in it, set a silicon mold over the top of the polystyrene and then fibreglassed over that, however i think it would be doable with just fibreglass, as to what holds it in place, if you look at the connector cable for an ipod you can see that it has two slight flanges that lock into place when you push the cable into the bottom, that and the dock piece (seeing as im not very good at describing i can take a photo of this if you need?) also the hole in the bottom of my ciggarette lighter is very small as i cut the usb connector and then resoldered + heatshrinked this before connecting it to my stereo, However, i do hope you realise that USB is the only way to both charge and play your ipod, AUX will just play but wont charge, just to let you know. With regards to cable managment i ran all mine along the console and then just underneath the carpet as to allow minimum cord travel, so i hope this information was helpfull to you,

Kind Regards,

Harry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM

You could just mold in an Apple iPod dock. They use inserts, and so will fit every iPod or iPhone. Standard iPod cable connects to the dock and has USB on the other end.

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode