84 Spider Audio Questions - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

84 Spider Audio Questions

I have an '84 (S3) Spider, having the interior redone, and discovered that a prev. stereo place had chopped up the metal support brackets under the rear deck to put my 400 W amp in, and cut out holes for some 6X9 speakers in the deck. I want to restore the deck to original. My shop wants to put a smaller amp in the trunk behind the fold-down partition under the gas tank vapor canister, says I don't need a 400W amp.

I have 5-1/4 speaker in the front foot-wells, and tweeters at the top of the door panels. My stereo sounds terrible (Alpine). Would I get better sound if I put in speakers on the rear deck? ... My shop wants to wire some speakers that sit on top of the rear deck and ar removable, so no cutting of the rear deck is needed. (I don't want to cut the new rear deck I'm making.)

What kind of speakers are these, and would they improve my sound?

How much power amp would I need?
What kind of speakers is he talking about?
Can I fit an amp under the rear deck without cutting the metal support struts?
Should I put the amp in the trunk space under the gas tank cannister?

Thanks........ any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

IMO, small removable self-contained speakers never sound good. Just not enough cavity in them to produce any kind of worthwhile tone. (you'll get more base and resonance from the footwell speakers than you will from what they have in mind)

No, you don't need 400 watts.

Nice to have, but hardly neccisary. 200 will do the job nicely if the long term goal isn't to blow the neighbors windows out but instead to be able to hear things clearly at highway speeds with the top down. (I've got a 200W with only a set of dual cone 5 1/4 kickpanel speakers and it's satisfactorily loud and clear up to around 80mph, but then I'm getting a little on in years and don't get off on ear shatteringly loud anymore)

Yes, you can fit an amp under the rear deck without cutting anything. Check right behind the drivers seat as that's the spot with the biggest cavity that doesn't have anything else at all around except the seatbelt spool.

Dept/thickness will likely be your biggest concern AFA getting something in there.

As to what you've got now sounding terrible, are the speakers perhaps blown, wiring not up to par, or perhaps the wrong person was allowed near the equalizer?

Point of note:

No matter what route you end up taking, don't fool yourself into thinking that if it sounds good in the shop or thier parking lot that it'll sound good out on the road. Take it for a test drive before signing off the 'I accept' paperwork. (hell, take the shop manager along for the ride so you don't have to try and explain any anomolies that may occur)

And don't try tune dial on an equalizer whiel sitting still either. You might end up having have the greatest tone quality in the world sitting in the drive through line or in the back lot with the kids who keep thier parking lights on too long, but it's worthless if it sounds cack while on the move.

Conversely, what sounds good at speed may very well sound like crap when not on the move. The decision on which way you tune is a sacrifice that must be made one way or the other. (unless of course you've got a stereo that allows you to pre-program a couple different modes, in which case sounding fair all the time is just a press of a memory button)

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

84 sPPIDER aUDIO pROBLEMS

Thanks. Would you recommend putting the 200W amp under the drivers' side rear deck, or in the trunk over the gas tank vapor canister? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Mine's under the cargo shelf/deck.

I didn't even drill holes to mount, but instead employed some of that super duty 3M double sided tape they use to hold on automotive body molding. (it takes a lever bar to get the thing loose once the tape takes a set)

Darren

as hosted by

&
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

84 Spider Audio Problems

Thanks a lot.... Do I need a 2-channel or a 4-channel amp.? Appreciate all your help. -Clay in NJ
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

That depends on how many speakers you wanna run.

With the kick panel speakers and door tweaters, you can likely get away with 2. Extra speakers in the back on top of that would prolly require 4.

Darren

as hosted by

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode