AROSC at Willow Springs Oct 24-24 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Norman Silverma
AROSC at Willow Springs Oct 24-24

The Alfa Romeo Owners Club of So. Ca is returning to Willow Springs Raceway for their last Time Trial / Race Weekend of the year. There will be 3 Time Trial run groups, a mixed class Race Group and the finale of the annual Alfa Cup Championship series. The 'Novice' Time Trial group (drivers without a AROSC approved competition license) must attend classroom sessions before each run session. Check it all out at www.arosc.org.

If you've never had a car on the track, AROSC offers an Intro Course for $20 per day that will provide you with class room instruction and nearly an hour of lead and follow around the track during lunchtime. Instructors will take relatively small groups of cars around the track increasing the lap time by 1/2 to 1 second per lap. After each lap the Instructor will wave off the car immediately behind so that every one will get a chance to drive the correct line as nearly as possible. Most any daily driver will qualify . Check out www.arosc.org for specifics.

Norm Silverman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:25 PM

Norm,

When the Las Vegas event was cancelled, I had my entry fee applied to this Willow Springs. Will my entry form from Vegas also be applied to this race, or will I need to fill out a new one? I was told earlier that my tech inspection sheet would be good for the event. If I need to file out a new entry, when will they be availible?

Thanks.

Found the entry form just a minute ago (8:00PM), just need to know if I should fill it out or if the Vegas one will suffice.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD

Last edited by geh458; 09-23-2004 at 08:02 PM.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Got my registration form in todays mail, but the best answer to your question would be Terry Watson. See you there.

Norm Silverman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Admin
Administrator

There is alot of talk going on about this event on some of the PORSCHE sites! I think you guys should have a good turn out between all the Alfas and Porsches. Who else is going to be there?

I was thinking of doing the intro classes. It's no fun hanging out in the pits with my digital camera while all of you guys are on the track having all the fun. What do I need to do the class or get on the track?

Simon Mestas
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Admin
Administrator

Does the Intro Course require you to have a tech inspection?

Simon Mestas
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

ALL VEHICLES must have a tech inspection. Very embarrasing if parts fall off and hard work walking aroung the track cleaning up oily liquids .
Intro drivers must have working seat belts and a Helmet rated Snell 90 or above. The admission fee to the track is $10, but the wrist band is good for both days. Intro is $20 per day. We supply instruction, instructors and the big smiles come by themselves .

Norm Silverman

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Speaking about your digital camera........... Is it digital movies or only stills.

Norm Silverman

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

I keep getting these after thoughts.
You can get on the track if you suck up to a driver with an AROSC Competition License and a five point passenger seat harness and an extra helmet. Like me.

Norm Silverman

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Admin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Silverma
Speaking about your digital camera........... Is it digital movies or only stills.
Only stills for right now.

Quote:
ALL VEHICLES must have a tech inspection.
Is there a fee for the inspections? Is there someone who provides them at the track?

Quote:
You can get on the track if you suck up to a driver with an AROSC Competition License and a five point passenger seat harness and an extra helmet. Like me..
If I get a helmet and harness between now and next weekend I might take you up on that.

Simon Mestas
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smestas
Does the Intro Course require you to have a tech inspection?
Yes, Intro Group cars must undergo a tech inspection but the requirements are not as extensive as for Time Trials. Basically it means having a car that's safe to drive on the street (working brakes & brake lights, steering, suspension, tires, battery securely mounted, production/street 3-point seat belts and no fluid leaks). You DO NOT need 5-point harnesses, fire extinguisher, roll bar (even for open cars), etc. You will need some personal safety equipment. This includes a helmut (Snell 90 for this event but Snell 95 starting next year), natural fiber clothing (pants, long sleeved shirt, socks and gloves) and eye protection (sun glasses are OK). You will also need a valid State Drivers License and be 18 years of age or older.

You get about an hour of instruction plus a half hour of track time each day and it only costs $20 to register. This is a pretty inexpensive way to learn how much fun driving on a real race track can be. So come on out, we'd love to get to know you.

If you have any questions, contact me at [email protected].

Bruce Colby - Street = '69 1750 GTV/TS; Track = '65 SGT/TS, '89 E30, '72 914/6
gone to new homes
- '71 Jr. Z, '69 1750 Spider, '62 Spider
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Simon, there is a posted fee of $10 for tech inspection ($60 at the track), but for Intro most of the tech inspectors will waive it. Anthony will be at the track and you might want to ask him if he minds - it takes about 2 minutes for an Intro car.. I usually have a spare helmet and gloves. If you have a pair of leather gloves (without holes) it helps. WalMart has all leather "Wells Lamont" work gloves for about $7.00 - they make a nice driving glove. Drivers meeting should be around 8AM, Intro class is usually 10 - 11 and the drive time is approx. 12 to 12:45.

By the way how would you like to be my pit crew in exchange for lunch and some power drinks? Job involves 2 minutes checking tire temps when I come off, 2 minutes checking tire pressure before I go on, timing some of my laps (some of which you can do as a passenger), helping re-attach whatever falls off and giving me a lift to Chatsworth IF we run out of wire and duct tape . Shouldn't be too many problems. Just rebuilt the tranny, recently replaced the master cylinder, new drive shaft donut, fixed the loose tranny mount and replaced the swiss cheese style tail pipe. Brake pads look good, but I'll put a new set in anyhow.

Norm Silverman

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Admin
Administrator

Wow Norm!

Thanks for all the offers and for helping me to get some time on the track. I'll let you know what I intend to do since Im still not sure if I will be there both days or just one day. I'll keep you posted!

There are also guys on the Porsche site that are asking if there will be a lunch parade or if its just going to be the into class at lunch time on the track?

Simon Mestas
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Can you feed the following info to the Porsche guys or give me the site where they can be reached?

Fill out a registration form, get your DOT legal car teched, wear cotton cloths from wrist to ankle and a min. Snell 90 Helmet.
$20 = Classroom from 10 - 11, Track (rotating) Lead and Follow 12 -12:45. Instructors drive a correct line, demonstrate correct braking, turning and excellerating points and increase speed at small increments every lap. We run a safe, controlled yet exciting venue for daily drivers. No luchtime parades. Check full details at www.arosc.org.

Thanks

Norm Silverman

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Admin
Administrator

Norm,

Heres a link to the thread I posted your info to on the Porsche site.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=187619

Simon Mestas
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

AROSC and especially the Competition Directors have to be very pleased with the comments from the Pelican/Porsche guys. I was moved to make a comment, but I can't respond to the thread so I'll ask you to pass on my thoughts - if you would be so kind. I hope it is as easy as a cut and paste, if not, forget it.

Thanks for the kind words. I have learned from our past President, Paul Blankenship, that as a club we are a stew flavored by a wide variety of spices. About 15% of our membership does not own and may never own an Alfa and that's because of years spent cultivating a safe, professional and relatively inexpensive environment for competition driving and the cars and people that come with the sport. Membership gets you an event discount.
For those that just want to feel a track under their wheels we run an Intro Course at all of our competition events (except if have an enduro scheduled). This includes an hour of classroom instruction on driving fundementals and track etiquette then approx. an hour of following instructors as they (at safe speed) show the correct driving line, breaking points, turn in points, exits, etc., slowly increasing speed each lap.
For some people this leads to the next step which would be a weekend at one of our semi annual Performance Driving Schools. This involves rotating from classroom to skid pad (dry then wet) to track while learning the limits of your car in a safe environment and improving your basic driving skills. Our instructors will passenger with you to critique or drive to demonstrate. EVERYONE will have an instructor in their car at some point during the weekend. Our most recent guest instructors have included John Morton, Roberto Guerrero and Tony Adamowitz - not often you can share your car with legendary pro drivers that have competed and won at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, etc., etc. The School also has separate training sessions for Time Trialers and wheel to wheel Racers.
If the (addictive) brain drugs have kicked in by this time you'll be putting a 5 point harness in your car and hone your skills by competing in Time Trials. We run 5 to 6 Time Trial / Race Weekends a year. We historically run Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca and try to throw in an occasional Las Vegas Iternational Raceway or California Speedway. Until you've qualified for a competition license you drive with a big X on your car so we can forgive your mistakes instead of using obscene jestures.
I look forward to making your collective acquaintance. I'm easy to spot at the track. I have a very Blue 65 Giulia Ti #105 - an old man in an under powered car, but I'll haunt you in the corners.

Il Presidente

Norm Silverman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode