Orange County Fiat & Alfa Romeo - CLOSED! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Orange County Fiat & Alfa Romeo - CLOSED!

My wife's Fiat lease is timing out next month; thought we might replace it with a Guilia or Stelvio lease.

We went to Orange County Fiat & Alfa Romeo today (12/16) and they are abandoned, closed and out of business. Their web site - today - still claims they are the #1 Alfa dealer in the USA.

This can't be good. What's going on?

David O'D
Laguna CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Closed? And you are surprised?

Every division (Make) of vehicles that Fiat owns are known as high maintance vehicles. All of them. Jeep, Fiat, Alfa, Ferrari, Maseratti etc.

They had the very same attitude in the USA from the beginning, then bailed. That`s next.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:01 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Every division (Make) of vehicles that Fiat owns are known as high maintance vehicles. All of them. Jeep, Fiat, Alfa, Ferrari, Maseratti etc.

They had the very same attitude in the USA from the beginning, then bailed. That`s next.
Richard, can you please share your source for this? I, and I am sure other members, would like to review this data.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:40 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
For those of you on the AlfaBB that were around when the Alfetta debuted in 1975, there was a huge push to open dealers and push out a large number of cars. They were also plagued with growing pains. It was about 2-3 years later that dealers were closing the doors as there were not enough cars sold to keep the lights burning and the mechanics paid. Those that were willing to make customers happy, sell cars on a thin margin and make money on the service side, kept their doors open. The Alfetta's had their issues as we all know, and tainted the waters, so customers started to distance themselves even though the cars were improving.
We can all debate why dealers close, just know that there will be someone that will pick up the slack so we can buy and service the new cars. Be thankful we have new Alfa's to buy.
Max Pershyn likes this.

Christopher

www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:55 PM

Sales of Fiat 500’s are apparently down 66% this year. That must place a huge burden on a dealer like these guys. Sad if that’s the case though. On the other hand, now that I think back when we were shopping for a car for our daughter we went there and service was mediocre, to say the least. We bought a Beetle.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

We got a good deal on the Fiat, but my wife did not like dealing with the dealer's service dept. Not up to snuff.

Alfa is competing with BMW, Lexus, & Mercedes. You go to those dealer's showrooms and they're like 5-star hotels - fountains, marble floors, art-gallery lighting. O C Fiat & Alfa Romeo had cracked asphalt, with some weeds at the entrance, and a full trash can - not even a lid - next to the front door.

The cars are competitive, but the buyer's experience - they gotta do better. Much better.

My wife picked out a Honda.

David O'D
Laguna CA
Aggie57 likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Data

Last issue of consumer reports, and another Automotive rating company by the name of an individual that I can`t remember.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Last issue of consumer reports, and another Automotive rating company by the name of an individual that I can`t remember.
From a couple of sources:

Fiat US car sales figures
https://www.motor1.com/news/267524/f...dition-return/

The 2nd one quotes Fiat as the source for it's numbers (which are Jan-August) and tally with the 1st source which also claims it gets it's numbers from Fiat:

Fiat likely hopes the new edition boosts the 500's falling sales in the United States. Through August 2018, the company has moved 3,188 of them in the United States a massive 66 percent drop in the 9,419 units delivered in the same period last year. In general, the Fiat brand's volume has experienced a 43 percent drop year-over-year.

Source: Fiat

FCA seems to be making good on it's statements around focusing on SUV's and pickups. Is there a new 500 model sometime soon? Or are they going to concentrate on the L and X in the US? Either way for Alfa's sake they need a better strategy than piggy back on a poorly performing Fiat sales network.

Alister
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
From a couple of sources:

Fiat US car sales figures
https://www.motor1.com/news/267524/f...dition-return/

The 2nd one quotes Fiat as the source for it's numbers (which are Jan-August) and tally with the 1st source which also claims it gets it's numbers from Fiat:

Fiat likely hopes the new edition boosts the 500's falling sales in the United States. Through August 2018, the company has moved 3,188 of them in the United States a massive 66 percent drop in the 9,419 units delivered in the same period last year. In general, the Fiat brand's volume has experienced a 43 percent drop year-over-year.

Source: Fiat

FCA seems to be making good on it's statements around focusing on SUV's and pickups. Is there a new 500 model sometime soon? Or are they going to concentrate on the L and X in the US? Either way for Alfa's sake they need a better strategy than piggy back on a poorly performing Fiat sales network.
New 500, completely electric, is coming in 2020-2021.

And Alfa C-SUV based on a small platform (the same as 500x, Compass, etc..) what a shame!

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
New 500, completely electric, is coming in 2020-2021.

And Alfa C-SUV based on a small platform (the same as 500x, Compass, etc..) what a shame!

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
That's great to hear Max. The contrast between Fiat dealerships here in the US and back in Australia / New Zealand (where I hail from) is stark, at least the ones I've seen. This one is a case in point, it was almost Arthur Daley in appearance.

Alister
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:16 PM

Unhappy Alfetta a problem, but 164 was the catastrophe

My understanding is that in 1991 Alfa decided to not bring out the convertible they supposedly had been developing with some Japanese lightbulb factory (Mazda) and let them bring it out. Instead the directors were determined to make a car better than Lexus and sell in to the US Market using Chrysler dealers as well as their previous Alfa dealerships. AND THERE WAS A WONDERFUL GUARANTEE. They would even tow disabled cars back to the dealers for repair.

But nobody at Chrysler knew how to fix them and the reputation for reliability went out the window to the point that only 600 cars were sold in 1995 when Alfa quit the American market. They swore never to return until ten years had passed to avoid obligations on the 164 cars. So I waited. And waited. I kept driving my old cars. The 8c Sportiva came out for those who could afford them. I couldn't. Finally, in 2015 (20, not 10 years after leaving the US) Alfa came out with the 4c (and my wife would not crawl in and out) and then later the Giulia and Stelvio (which I have been watching, but already have too many Alfa cars).

Mazda's Miata, meanwhile, became the world's best selling convertible ever. And Alfa worked with them again, but the convertible that came out end up with Fiat. And, of course, Mazda has its new convertible too.

Then, when the Giulia and Stelvia, for some reason, Alfa tried to come up with lots of new dealers, skipping over some of those who had kept servicing us as far as possible. So what in the world is happening!! I can understand why some of those totally new dealers might not make it, and I know the wonderful head of Alfa recently died, but I certainly do hope the company keeps selling in the US and this particular dealer (with its self proclaimed "biggest Alfa Dealer in US" ad is not a forerunner of version II American market abandonment. Lots of new Alfa cars in Seattle. They are like and they should sell.

Once again, this is what I was told, but I have no expertise as to Italian auto sales in the US. I am only an Alfanut who saw his first one in Germany at age 25 and fell in love with it. I do know that many in the Northwest Alfa Romeo Club who know of my large home garage have given me their 164 cars expecting me to be able to get them running and pass them on to others. I have tried that. Problem is that if something goes wrong I get the car back. They can't find anyone who wants to work on them or can't afford to pay. But, frankly, they are more computer than mechanical and some things I can't figure out how to fix yet either.

I apologize if what I relate is not factual. It is what I have been told by others and I would very much appreciate being told the real facts. I was also led to believe that Volkswagon wanted to buy Alfa when it was owned by Fiat and not separate, and that it is only lately again a "stand alone" company. The news in this thread is very troubling to me.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Alfa is still part of FCA. My understanding is that Sergio was planning on retiring from FCA in 2019 and then making a play for Ferrari, Alfa, Jeep and I think Maserati. Obviously that's not happening. FCA is doing well despite the Fiat sales - their North American plants are running at capacity and they are looking at opening up more. Didn't I see that Alfa just built their 100,000th Giulia last month? GM, OTOH is planning on shutting down 5 plants, laying off 14,000 employees and killing most of their sedans.

Back to the topic... I agree that Alfa/Fiat dealerships need to pick it up. The one near me is very nice but the sales people act like it's an imposition...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

Which dealership is closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David O'D View Post
My wife's Fiat lease is timing out next month; thought we might replace it with a Guilia or Stelvio lease.

We went to Orange County Fiat & Alfa Romeo today (12/16) and they are abandoned, closed and out of business. Their web site - today - still claims they are the #1 Alfa dealer in the USA.

This can't be good. What's going on?

David O'D
Laguna CA
Hi David

Can you list the street address of the dealership that you say was closed and ideally post a picture of the shuttered building?

Because I just called this dealership and they say the are open.

https://www.ocalfaromeo.com/

2524 Harbor Blvd Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Sales: 888-409-1083
The #1 Alfa Romeo Dealership in the US

Is this the one you're referring to?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:00 AM

Drove past this place yesterday, it’s still open. I was driving so only got a quick glance, it looked like Jeeps are now parked where there used to be rows of Stelvios but otherwise it looks much the same as it always has.

Alister
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Garage
I drove by there last week (1/21-25) and the Alfa Romeo emblem is no longer on the building. And, like Aggie57 stated, there are rows and rows of Jeeps directly in front of the showroom. The location sold both Fiats and Alfas.

Steven Leth
'66 Giulia Super / '86 Spider Graduate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode