Flywheel Lightening in LA/OC area - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Alfistaa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Flywheel Lightening in LA/OC area

Hi,

I am looking to get my Flywheel lightened, then the flywheel/P plate balanced...can anyone recommend a place/person to do this in the LA/OC area?

thanks!!

-Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 AM

Hi Andy - I think Stewart at APC could help with you flywheel, if you haven't done it already.

But if you already did do it, what can you really notice the difference? How do you use your car?

i'm considering it myself and would like to know how much difference it makes -

David O'D
Laguna CA
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 PM

A lighter flywheel will require you to slip the clutch more from a standing start. Once moving, it will slightly improve engine response to throttle. On a street car I would not bother with it.
Alfajay and 101/105guy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
A lighter flywheel will require you to slip the clutch more from a standing start. Once moving, it will slightly improve engine response to throttle. On a street car I would not bother with it.
Umm, well, no. Having driven thousands of miles in Alfas with lightened flywheels, I can't say as I've ever noticed the need to "slip the clutch at a standing start" due to having a light flywheel. I should add that "light flywheel" doesn't equate with no flywheel in which case you might very well need to slip the clutch a bit.

I've found that fitting a light flywheel to a street driven Alfa can make a significant contribution to the overall driving dynamics/enjoyment of your car. Much, however, depends on how you drive the car. If you're a slow driving, mainly using your Alfa as a stylish commuting conveyance, then making modifications of just about any kind don't make much sense. On the other hand if you occasionally like to drive fast and hard, you'll definitely enjoy the difference when you fit a light flywheel.

Personally, I don't like lightened stock flywheels. Having driven both aluminum and steel lightened flywheels, currently I'm using an Alfaholics lightweightt steel flywheel. Typical for Alfaholics, it's exceptionally well made and fits perfectly = 13.6 pounds and US$495.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
Personally, I don't like lightened stock flywheels. Having driven both aluminum and steel lightened flywheels, currently I'm using an Alfaholics lightweightt steel flywheel.
What is it about lightened stock flywheels that you don't like?

- Concern they may come apart at speed?
- Not lightened enough
- Lightened too much

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:27 PM

If you go with an aftermarket aluminum flywheel, make sure it has a properly sized driveshaft centering bushing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I wound up with a lightened steel flywheel from Classic Alfa. I got it in about a month ago, its great. It really livens up the motor during spirited drives, and i really feel no difference from stock when I am just cruising around town in start-stop traffic.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
What is it about lightened stock flywheels that you don't like?

- Concern they may come apart at speed?
- Not lightened enough
- Lightened too much
[/QUOTE]

I know there are good arguments in favor of machining stock flywheels, just as there are plenty of people happily running them in their cars. Nonetheless, I just prefer the increased safety of aluminum or steel purpose built flywheels to modified cast-iron.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Garage
I know there are good arguments in favor of machining stock flywheels, just as there are plenty of people happily running them in their cars. Nonetheless, I just prefer the increased safety of aluminum or steel purpose built flywheels to modified cast-iron.[/QUOTE]

Amen....the stock flywheel was designed for a 4 passenger, full tank, etc., etc., so the lightened flywheel is not road worthy is ********. If you want to do it right by a billet flywheel from Alfaholics, ClassicAlfa, etc. get the unit balanced and indexed to your PP more then likely the PP will be way off see attached...
Attached Images

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode