'71 GTV Resurection - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

The grill work I had was nicely restored by Santo and Anthony but when I brought the car in the trim hourglass shaped "blanks" that go in between the headlight rings were missing. So plastic blanks having a mesh imprint were installed. I looked all over the internet for original 1750 GTV mesh blanks. Other than the plastic type I couldn't find any.

Here's a look at the grill, not bad at all, but the lack of continuity with the plastic still kind of nagged. Also a crack had developed at the top of the blank.

Name:  alfagrill1.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  204.7 KB

So I emailed Alfaholics hoping to purchase just the 2 stainless mesh end blanks that come with their CROO6/5 GTA style stainless mesh grill kit. The entire kit was out of budget, plus I like and wanted to maintain the 1750 look. Richard emailed back that it was possible and I had them in a few days. When they arrived they were stainless of course, but I wanted them to match the matte black consistent with the look of the rest of the 1750 grill. The lobes for the fastener screws had not been drilled and the lobes didn't quite match the fastener openings of the plastic blanks.

I centered and drilled each lobe and took time to clean up the backside mesh wherever there were "sharpies". Then I found Tortoise Industries nearby. They powder coat in volume, but agreed to prep the pieces and fold them in with a production line job of the same color. About a week later they called to say they were ready.

Here are the plastic blanks off the car.

Name:  alfagrill3.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  93.2 KB

And here are the mesh blanks after Tortoise Industries powder coated them for me.

Name:  alfagrill4.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  96.4 KB

Here's the new setup on the car.
Attached Images

PFCDexter likes this.

Andy Steben '71 1750 GTV (daily driver & track day car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:44 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Are the centre grill pieces "standard"?

Just wondering
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Hi Pete, No, the bright-work center heart and adjacent wings are...as well as the matte black grill frame. The interior mesh within the frame was on the car when I bought it from the previous owner. That's the look I wanted to match.

I did find original looking 1750 grills, sans heart, for purchase. I think that material is an expanded sheet metal with a diamond pattern to it. My problem was I found no one had the corresponding hourglass shaped blanks.

Your project looks awesome by the way!

Andy Steben '71 1750 GTV (daily driver & track day car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:22 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Okay now if makes sense and yes your final grill "works" and matches nicely.

I'm missing an hour glass ... but as you demonstrate finding one that is not cracked is a challenge
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode