'71 GTV Resurection - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Andy, I missed seeing you and your new-old car at Willow Springs. Mike said you drove out as part of your break-in run. Glad to hear it's finished and driving now.

Racer Z ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I missed you at Willow Springs Bob. How'd you guys do? I was putting varied rev miles on the car and I was interested in getting back on the road before Sunday traffic loaded up and while I still had good daylight. Here's some pics of the car at home. I have to get those race tires off that it was delivered to the shop with. I think I'll get the street wheels back on today.
Attached Images

Kristianjaeger likes this.

Andy Steben '71 1750 GTV (daily driver & track day car)
post #78 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 AM

So glad your GTV is on the road again Andy. Anthony and his crew do such good work and your car looks so nice now.

Dad is doing well. This was his first track event since he fell off his bicycle six months ago and broke his hip. My brother and I went along as support. Good news is that we didn't have to do much and could just relax and watch the races. Dad finished second in class.

2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 94 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

I did not get the wheels switched out as intended yesterday, but I did get more break in miles on the engine. Just north of 300 now. I revisited the shop so I could get a picture of Santo, Anthony and Hugo.

Name:  alfa177.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  162.8 KB

Then I went 1/2 a block south so Juan could pose with his paint job before I go and screw it up.

Name:  alfa175.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  166.7 KB
Racer Z likes this.

post #80 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Back on page 5 I had a story about my brother in law's "Bear Proof" SAAB. I finished the project finally, and before his birthday.

Name:  saab9.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  saab8.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  saab7.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:  saab6.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  116.2 KB

The famous (only in our family) bear claw marks.

Name:  saab5.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  98.5 KB
LaurandSteve likes this.

post #81 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 AM

Nice. The claw marks are the best!

2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #82 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, thanks, I think Uncle Dick will crack up when he discovers the bear claw marks. I hope the "Bear Proof" SAAB ends up being a conversation piece for him that segues into a lot of stories and reminiscing.
Racer Z likes this.

post #83 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I drove the Alfa yesterday up to Mt Wilson and back, part of the 800 to 1000 break-in miles that Santo and Anthony want me to put on the new engine before they check it over.
This first stop is above the Arroro Seca overlooking it's golf course. The Rose Bowl is just out of sight.

Name:  alfa193.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  219.6 KB

Another shot of the car above the arroyo with the San Gabriel mountains as the backdrop.

Name:  alfa195.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  222.4 KB

This is the entry to the Mt Wilson Observatory and my turn around point. Currently it's as far up Angeles Crest Hwy that anyone is allowed...rock slides and washouts caused by the recent rains.

Name:  alfa192.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  119.5 KB

One of the spots I turned out on to take some pics.

Attachment 1557660

During yesterday's drive I experienced a scary moment when I pulled off onto a scenic rest stop. As I steered off the highway the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there as I tried to downshift. I had to force it out of gear and coast to a stop. The clutch fluid bottle was full, I couldn't see any leaks in the engine bay. After about 10 minutes waiting, the ground under the slave looked dry and the pedal had come up a bit. I pumped it 3-4 times and it felt firm again. I called AAA but the was zero phone service. So nervously I started down the hill. The clutch behaved perfectly normal all the way home. NOT fun. So on Monday I'll call the shop and see what they say.???

I've done 500 miles since getting the car back and one thing I've noticed is I'll get reciprocal headlight flashes from GTVs, Spiders, Alfettas, Milanos, even vintage Mustangs and 911's...BUT, so far nothing from Stelvio or Giulia drivers, except usually a look of confusion or in a few cases a look of inflate amour propre.???
Attached Images

post #84 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAB4U View Post
I drove the Alfa yesterday up to Mt Wilson and back, part of the 800 to 1000 break-in miles that Santo and Anthony want me to put on the new engine before they check it over.
This first stop is above the Arroro Seca overlooking it's golf course. The Rose Bowl is just out of sight.

Attachment 1557654

Another shot of the car above the arroyo with the San Gabriel mountains as the backdrop.

Attachment 1557656

This is the entry to the Mt Wilson Observatory and my turn around point. Currently it's as far up Angeles Crest Hwy that anyone is allowed...rock slides and washouts caused by the recent rains.

Attachment 1557658

One of the spots I turned out on to take some pics.

Attachment 1557660

During yesterday's drive I experienced a scary moment when I pulled off onto a scenic rest stop. As I steered off the highway the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there as I tried to downshift. I had to force it out of gear and coast to a stop. The clutch fluid bottle was full, I couldn't see any leaks in the engine bay. After about 10 minutes waiting, the ground under the slave looked dry and the pedal had come up a bit. I pumped it 3-4 times and it felt firm again. I called AAA but the was zero phone service. So nervously I started down the hill. The clutch behaved perfectly normal all the way home. NOT fun. So on Monday I'll call the shop and see what they say.???

I've done 500 miles since getting the car back and one thing I've noticed is I'll get reciprocal headlight flashes from GTVs, Spiders, Alfettas, Milanos, even vintage Mustangs and 911's...BUT, so far nothing from Stelvio or Giulia drivers, except usually a look of confusion or in a few cases a look of inflate amour propre.???
Andy, your clutch issue sounds like an air bubble in the line. The heat and/or elevation changes effect how the clutch feels and works. Bleed the bubble out and it will probably be just fine.

I get the same lack of response from the new Giulia & Stelvio drivers. If I get response at all, it's that dull look of "Who is this idiot that thinks they know me?" Unfortunately, this new generation of Alfa owners are not brand or car enthusiasts.

2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
post #85 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Recently, I took the Alfa out for another drive to break in the engine. Freeway cruise in light traffic...10 min at 3000 rpm, another 10 at 4 grand, etc. I'm at 700 miles of the 800-1000 the shop wants before re-torquing, changing oil and re-tuning.

On the way home I took an off ramp that leads down to the Huntington Library in San Marino. I found an unused gate entrance to take a few shots before heading home.

Name:  alfa189.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  302.9 KB

Name:  alfa190.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  278.2 KB

Name:  alfa191.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  200.1 KB

Name:  alfa193.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  289.0 KB

post #86 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Without a passenger side door mirror I went looking for an attachable wide angle rear view mirror.

My first attempt was on Amazon...an inexpensive "Fit System" Model #RM010. It would have been fine except the expanding clip-on "jaws" were about 3mm shy of fitting the stock Alfa mirror body.

Name:  alfamirror4.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  153.8 KB

Next I researched facilities near me that might carry something better. All the Pep Boys, AutoZone, O'Reilly type parts stores were (somewhat predictably) a bust.

Then I found a local supplier of aftermarket Japanese "hot rod" goodies in a warehouse section of San Gabriel, JHPUSA https://jhpusa.com/. They mostly fulfill online orders but have a small walk in storefront. They had a variety of possible wide angle rear view mirrors. A fellow there named Brandon recommended a 290 mm wide BLOX "Blue Convex". We took it out of it's packaging to make sure this one would fit and it did, easily. Very tight grip on the mirror body. The "blue" hue reduces night time glare, something the Fit System mirror didn't offer...pricier but it works. On the drive home...no vibration, great visibility. I really liked it.

Name:  alfamirror2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  115.2 KB

An educated guess too is that the offset grips on the BLOX "jaws" make for a more secure fitment than the in-line grips of the RM010 would have.

Name:  alfamirror5.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  127.7 KB

Name:  alfamirror6.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  124.7 KB

post #87 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I took the GTV back into Santo's shop today having hit the 800-1000 mile mark. They'll re-torque the head, change out the oil and filter and do some minor re-tuning. Santo had me make out a list of things I thought might need attention after the put together...it turned out to be a short list.

Also, since the whole exhaust was toast, they'll be installing a new Alfaholics header and exhaust system.

I got an Uber ride home. Gheez, talk about Mr. Toads Wild Ride! 10X more dangerous than time trial runs. No, actually more than 10X. And the guy showed high rating when I placed the order. Whew.

post #88 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Last week I went for a ride in a B-17 at John Wayne Airport. The host of the visiting WWII air fleet was the Lyon Air Museum. They have a small collection of cars as well, including a beautiful TZ-2.

Name:  lyonmuseum7.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  182.0 KB

Name:  lyonmuseum6.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  210.6 KB

Hitler rode into Paris in this beast. He liked to ride in the front passenger seat. In the B-17's bay were three 500 lb bombs, one addressed to Hitler.

Name:  lyonmuseum2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  152.5 KB

Over Long Beach Harbor with a view of the bomb sight.

Name:  lyonmuseum13.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  130.8 KB

Our "ride" for the day.

Name:  lyonmuseum11.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  144.0 KB

post #89 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

I just got the car back. It's first oil change since the engine rebuild (at 900 miles). The old exhaust was toast, so on went a new Alfaholics header and exhaust system.The old system was so blown out that it's actually a lot quieter now, but the exhaust note is spectacular. Also the front suspension bushings all around were shot. Those were rebuilt and we added adjustable upper A-arms. The car handles like it's on rails.

post #90 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Happy Fathers Day! I hope you got your "Alfa" Fathers Day dreams. My kids got together and bought me race tires. Nitto NT01's in 205/55 R14.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode