23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:27 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
She's becoming a road car?

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Hi Pete, She's becoming what she was before for the most part. A Track Day/Daily Driver. It'll be a 2 L motor now, still FI but Wes Ingram performance (not race) upgrade. The roll bar will go back in for some peace of mind on track days. The (same) speakers keep me happy every day, including during long drives to the 3 tracks I like best. Something I'd like to do is a Rocky Mountain tour in the car, south to north and then across southern Canada to Vancouver and then down the Pac coast back to LA. Most of my miles will be local...grocery store, coaching assignments, Angeles Crest jaunts.
Racer Z likes this.

Andy Steben '71 1750 GTV (daily driver & track day car)
post #48 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 AM

Looking good Andy. The Rimicci family is doing a great job, once again. How much hands on do have in this Andy?

RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
Looking good Andy. The Rimicci family is doing a great job, once again. How much hands on do have in this Andy?
Bob, I'm doing little things...like now I'm taking all the bits off my old dash and installing them on a new one. I had refurbished the old dash myself and it held together nicely for a while but I thought at this stage with the same old cracks reappearing that I'd opt for new. Hopefully the materials are superior to the original.

The two firewall brackets for the dash required four 3/16" holes for their rivets, so I put a deep socket over the bit to prevent me from doing something dumb.

Name:  dash2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  176.8 KB

BEFORE (little dimples show where to drill).

Name:  dash1.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  177.0 KB

DRILLING

Name:  dash3.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  208.9 KB

AFTER

Name:  dash6.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  153.8 KB

One of the two firewall brackets attached.

Name:  dash5.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  132.5 KB
Racer Z likes this.

post #50 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Paul, hilarious for sale ad!

Last edited by GTVB4U; 12-02-2018 at 05:05 PM.
post #51 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I took the (mostly) completed new dash down to the shop to be installed. While there I saw the new 2L engine in the car for the first time. It's starting to feel like I'll be driving Angeles Crest again soon.

BEFORE:
Name:  alfa48.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  53.5 KB

and AFTER:
Name:  alfa118.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  178.3 KB

Name:  alfa119.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  alfa120.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  181.6 KB

post #52 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Hanging out here with a bunch of Italian friends. You can see the new headliner is in, trunk weather stripping, and rear backup light (this will be wired as a 3rd brake light with red bulb). The TAMIYA logo sticker is probably going to go.

Name:  alfa122.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  164.6 KB

Another view of the new headliner. The new dash is in and being rewired.

Name:  alfa124.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  131.9 KB

The nose picked up it's grill components.

Name:  alfa125.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  124.5 KB

New door handles that will actually lock.

Name:  alfa126.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  68.1 KB

The front speakers have been installed on the new door cards

Name:  alfa127.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  116.3 KB
PSk and Racer Z like this.

post #53 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 PM

Cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed your photo-documentation of the transformation/restoration of this car. I have been looking for a 1750 GTV project car and your journey gives me inspiration (and some courage to take it on). Where did you source the new dash from (seem to be a variety of them all over the place) and how does it compare to the original? Can you post a few more pictures of the new dash please? Also, what did you (or Wes Ingram) end up doing to your 2-liter? Specs and mods please?

Looking good!

Tim.

Last edited by CALSPYDERMAN; 12-05-2018 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Added questions about source of new dash and engine work.
post #54 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi Tim, Here are 2 more photos of the dash. Still not complete, because of ongoing wiring, but better angles. The dash is made in Italy, and I believe the shop got it through Centerline Alfa. It came as a blank. So you can see when I drilled for the four warning/indicator lights on the left, I had the option to reposition things a little. Notice there is no hazard light flasher...didn't want it. In drilling those 4 holes and cutting the opening for the stereo I encountered no metal. Its a tough plastic frame. It is a lot lighter than the one I took out. The 2 center brackets for attaching to the firewall aligned perfectly. However the two side brackets were wrong. I had to remove and use the side brackets from my old dash. (This may be because we ordered the dash for the earlier 1750 series as it had a much cleaner look). I also "borrowed" my glove box door from the old dash because it fit way better than the one supplied.

Name:  alfa130.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  163.6 KB

Name:  alfa128.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  146.9 KB

post #55 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Tim, regarding what Wes did with the FI, I know it's his HP build. I'm under the impression that HP builds can vary. He likes to talk with the engine builder before starting. I can get more info from Santo and Anthony if need be.

I wanted the engine to be suitable for a track-day/daily driver. So as a street car it can't be too radical. I know the pistons are 10.4:1, the crank has been reground, hardened and balanced. I know the cams are Colombo & Bariani... but can't tell you which ones, some head work was done as well. Everything is new on it. It will be quicker than a regular FI 2L, but still very street-able. At least that's what I had in mind.

My son's '74 2L GTV was converted to Webers after he bought it from me. He drives it on the street and it's fast at the track. I hope to be neck and neck with him next time were out. He's in the black '74 and I'm in the red '71, the track was Buttonwillow.

The bottom shot was "The Best of France and Italy" show held in Woodley Park, Van Nuys a few Novembers ago.
Attached Images

post #56 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

The Radiator being fitted. the oil cooler is hidden in front. Neither have their hoses yet. The car goes out soon, after the windshield and rear window are installed, back to the upholstery shop for carpeting.
Attached Images

post #57 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM

Thanks so much for the details on the dash Andy - super helpful. I'm familiar with the Centerline-sourced dash (it's like $1400 nowadays I think). Everyone's mileage seems to vary when it comes to dash replacements. So Wes did your injection and Santos did your engine build? Envy you guys - we don't have the wealth of Alfa resources up in NorCal that you've got down there.

Must be so awesome to be able to share the track experience with your son - in another Alfa nonetheless. Even if you're just a step behind your son on the track - you can't watch your own car while you're driving it.

Be sure you line your doors with Dynamat as well - it makes a world of difference and the door slam resembles that of a 911!

Last edited by CALSPYDERMAN; 12-08-2018 at 11:43 AM.
post #58 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

"Envy you guys - we don't have the wealth of Alfa resources up in NorCal that you've got down there."

Hi Tim...I believe Dave Vegher who owns Veloce Motors West, in Petaluma, is still building engines. He's one of the best builders anywhere. And Wes is closer to you than me. His waiting list is loooong.

post #59 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Today I took some left over Dynamat down to Santo and Anthony for the doors (thanks Tim for the suggestion) and for the new floor under the driver's seat.

Since last time, the rear window and the windshield glass have been replaced. New brake fluid reservoirs have kicked out the old pair, and the rear deck has been reinstalled.

Name:  alfa137.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  alfa138.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  169.7 KB

Name:  alfa139.jpg
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  alfa140.jpg
Size:  181.8 KB

post #60 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the updates Andy. Looking good. Almost a car again.

RaceráZ ... 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2017 Alfa Romeo Ti Q2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in