Thanks to the Group in Ventura County - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By velocedoc
  • 1 Post By elsonite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to the Group in Ventura County

Hi everyone.

I wanted to say thanks to the small group of people whom I met in Carpinteria yesterday! I was the guy in the black and blue Focus ST. Unfortunately, I got called by work half-way to Bocalli's and had to bail. However, I wanted to say thanks for being so nice and it was great meeting all of you.

My search for an Alfa continues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 AM

Ventura Alfas

Hi Jiveslug,

I have one of the only Alfa's I've ever seen in Ventura. What group is this that got together?

If your looking for an Alfa there is one guy who works on Alfa's in Santa Barbara. He has several nice one's for sale right now. The shop is A and A imports on Richardson in Santa Barbara. The shop owner is Emilio. His father was one of the first people to import Alfa's into California. His number is (805) 966-2498. Good Luck.

Ventura Alfa
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:11 AM

Santa Barbara area Alfa Club

That would be the Alfa Romeo Club of Central Calif. AROCCC
They have monthly events in your area. Their membership is centered where you both live.
They don't have a website and I am digging up their contact email for you.
Fun group, lots of nice cars.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:49 PM

Thanks Paul,

I don't see other Alfas very often in this area so it would be interesting to get together with other local folks.

Ventura Alfa
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 PM

There are several Alfas in Thousand Oaks. And San Fernando Valley has some of the best Alfa mechanics in the US.

The Alfa Owners of Southern California (AOSC) is one of the biggest in the country. We hold driving classes, track days, and other events. Track /race days are all across the southern half of California, even including Laguna Seca in Monterey [Yeah, it has a new sponsor's name, but I'm old school, having raced Alfas in the late 60's]

The Northern California club is also a big one, and one of the best used Alfa parts suppliers is in the Bay Area.

Welcome to the great delusion! These are wonderful cars.

Robert
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
There was a great group of Alfa Owners back in the late 70's and 80s in the Santa Barbara area. We got a bunch of owners together and with the charter from AROC we started a club in Santa Barbara (AROSB) We pulled owners from San Luis Obispo to Thousand Oaks and all point in between. Emilio was the Alfa dealer back then. He took over the dealership from T.I Peterson on South State Street. After TI Peterson closed I moved up the street to wrench on BMW's, Mercedes and exotics. I was truly blessed to work in some of the best shops.
Max Pershyn likes this.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Hi Chris,
Just saw your post. You and I were around cars in Santa Barbara at the same time. From the late 70's to the early 80's I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with myself and my life. Just graduated from graduate school with a doctorate but didn't want to work in my field. I had been restoring cars on my own to put myself thorough school; mostly Austin Healey's and BMW 2002's.
After some urging from friends that there needed to be a car sales guy who actually knew cars I went to work for Santa Barbara Datsun on lower state (highlight there was selling a Datsun 280Z turbo to Joe Walsh and meeting most of the guys in the eagles). Like most car salesmen who moved around went from there to Hughes, Hughes to C and H Chevrolet and from there to the new BMW dealer out in Goleta. Those were some wild, wild times. Glad to have survived.
From what I understand the Emilio at A and A imports in Santa Barbara is Emilio's son. He is the one that works on my car now when I can't figure things out. I am in Santa Barbara once a week or so now to play tennis or catch a show at SOHO. If you see what appears to be a British racing green (my version of the Alfa color Verde Inglese) Alfa wave or stop and say hello.

Randy
Ventura Alfa
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 09:34 AM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaAlfa View Post
Hi Chris,
Just saw your post. You and I were around cars in Santa Barbara at the same time. From the late 70's to the early 80's I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with myself and my life. Just graduated from graduate school with a doctorate but didn't want to work in my field. I had been restoring cars on my own to put myself thorough school; mostly Austin Healey's and BMW 2002's.
After some urging from friends that there needed to be a car sales guy who actually knew cars I went to work for Santa Barbara Datsun on lower state (highlight there was selling a Datsun 280Z turbo to Joe Walsh and meeting most of the guys in the eagles). Like most car salesmen who moved around went from there to Hughes, Hughes to C and H Chevrolet and from there to the new BMW dealer out in Goleta. Those were some wild, wild times. Glad to have survived.
From what I understand the Emilio at A and A imports in Santa Barbara is Emilio's son. He is the one that works on my car now when I can't figure things out. I am in Santa Barbara once a week or so now to play tennis or catch a show at SOHO. If you see what appears to be a British racing green (my version of the Alfa color Verde Inglese) Alfa wave or stop and say hello.

Randy
Ventura Alfa
There was a brief interim that I worked for the Chevrolet dealer in Carpenteria after TI Peterson closed shop. They picked up the SAAB/MG dealership. I was needing a job so I applied and they picked me up as a trainee. I knew enough to get by and was learning how as time went on. It was something to see new MG's come into the shop a week after they were sold because the needle shafts fell out of the carburetor bodies of the SU carbs. I got a call one day at work and it was a the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey that wanted to hire me as a in-house photographer. So that is where I left being a mechanic and pursued my career as a professional photographer.
I knew of Hughs Motors on the corner of State & 101. Can not place where the Datsun dealer used to be. The shop I worked at while I was a student at Brooks was Jones and Fischer on State Street. We serviced BMW, Mercedes primarily but they had the reputation of working on exotics. One day I walked in and Roy was working on a Ferrari 330 MM (?) a Ferrari race car with the aluminum body and smelled of Castrol castor bean oil.

One of the mechanics from Emilio's worked with me at Jones and Fischer for a while and later went onto open his own shop on Anacapa Street at Milano Motors. He later went out of business and went back to South Africa from what I recall. He bought my green Super with a 1600 FI engine that I custom built. Always wondered where that car went.

Lots of car history in Santa Barbara and movie stars.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Chris will remember this. I got my first Alfa, a 1600 spider Veloce, in 1976. It was originally sold through Petersen. Here is a pic of the original plate and frame. (Of course I still have the car!). I have good memories of events with the Santa Barbara and Ventura guys back in the early '80's.
Attached Images

velocedoc likes this.

Dan Allen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode